8 Star Wars Videogames From The Past

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 Star Wars Videogames From The Past

To celebrate the release of the original Rogue Squadron on this day in 1998, we give you a short list of some of the most memorable games to bear the Star Wars name.

Read Full Article

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Huh, I figured when they said "From The Past" that there would be more than just a few games older than 10 years would be used. How can you have a list of classic SW games and not include Dark Forces, the very first Star Wars FPS, or even any of the 5 Jedi Knight games that spawned from it. I guess 8 spots is just too few to list good Star Wars games.

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
Not even the venerable Star Wars arcade machine?

http://www.cosc.brocku.ca/Offerings/3P98/course/lectures/intro/star_wars_large.png

Omitting the RotJ I can see, but not the great granddaddy of them all.

survivor686

Jan 15, 2012
What? No Republic Commando? Heresy!

That game definitely belongs in the memorable category. It took a different approach to the SW universe and gave what was perhaps the true reality of the war.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
No Dark Forces or DF2: Jedi Knight, yet you include the terrible and one of my most despised Star Wars games, Force Unleashed. Seriously?

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
X-Wing Alliance was such a good game. The hours I wasn't playing it, I was reading up on all of the different capital ships and fighters. I wonder if it'll run on my new PC. This has got me all excited and nostalgic.

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
No Dark Forces, Jedi Knight Series, or most importantly Republic Commando but having both Force Unleashed and LEGO Star Wars on the list?! Seriously, some of the more well regarded and classic Star Wars games were sacrificed for those?

On another note, why are they all just pictures? It's an article that has barely any content, yet expects me to refresh the page 8 times to see all the entries? I know you can do better than this Escapist.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
I'm going to add my Jedi-Knight-should-have-been-listed opinion on top of the pile here. Y U DO DIS? Those games should be mentioned a whole lot more than they have been.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
FinalDream said:
No Dark Forces or DF2: Jedi Knight, yet you include the terrible and one of my most despised Star Wars games, Force Unleashed. Seriously?
Not to mention Power Battles, Masters of T...T...that one fighting game, Super Star Wars, and Demolition.

Evan_C

Jul 6, 2010
Soo... 8 games, with some of the best games not represented, with a separate page for each one, and only a few words for each picture? Shameful clickbait.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
DrStrangelove said:
a short list of some of the most memorable games to bear the Star Wars name.
Really really odd choice of games here. I think you may have an incorrect definition of "memorable" there... :p

Mar 30, 2010
Hmmm.

Not impressed.

As others have mentioned many truly great Star Wars games haven't been mentioned here, and the lack of descriptive text for each game that has made this list (in some cases inexplicably) provide no insight into the game that couldn't be gleaned from a wiki page leaving me with the impression that the OP has little or no first-hand knowledge of these games.

So, moving on...

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
SWU and lego need to be replaced with Jedi Knight Outcast and Shadows of the empire....

Now we could replace rebel assault with one of the SNES games.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Evan_C said:
Soo... 8 games, with some of the best games not represented, with a separate page for each one, and only a few words for each picture? Shameful clickbait.
Seriously, clickbait is a word that gets used way too much, usually without enough evidence to back up the claim.

Kugel

Nov 25, 2013
It started so good with Dark Forces, X-Wing, Tie-Fighter, jedi knight etc.
But now the Star Wars franchise has been virtually destroyed.
So many possibilities for incredible Star Wars games. Instead we mostly got childish crap.
The older mature fans have been ignored.

A modernized x-wing/Tie-fighter game could be so great. Or what about an Elite-like open space trading/fighting game in the Star Wars universe. If there is one game that begged to be made it is that one.
Imagine choosing the career of a smuggler, buying a fast cargo ship, upgrading it, doing shady deals with some Hutt arms dealer on Nar Shadaa, getting hailed by an imperial customs ship, or chased by a Star Destroyer.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
erttheking said:
Evan_C said:
Seriously, clickbait is a word that gets used way too much, usually without enough evidence to back up the claim.
As is hardly the case here. This post is little more than screaming 'Look! Star Wars', then providing a minutes worth of half assed content and walking away.