8 Terrible Video Game Villains

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Terrible Video Game Villains

Every game needs a good villain, but these eight didn't quite fill the role.

Read Full Article

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I would like to add (spoiler free) Arkham knight to the list also. I was not expecting such underwhelming presence from a titular character. His voice especially. Thankfully the Bat has a few good backup bad guys.

Agreed most definately that Wesker is shit...no doubt. But expecting capcom to create anything other than bewildering concentrations of cheese is just asking too much. They really do not have the power.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I really wouldn't call the Human Reaper Larva the "villain" in ME2. Yeah, it was the final boss; but the villains were Harbinger and the Collectors.

Vedrenne

Feb 8, 2010
I disagree on Diablo (3), to an extent. The extent being that he was easy on the first two difficulty settings on release (Normal and Nightmare, iirc). Once you got to Hell and, especially, Inferno difficulty, he was the biggest pain in the backside going.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
CaitSeith said:
I really wouldn't call the Human Reaper Larva the "villain" in ME2. Yeah, it was the final boss; but the villains were Harbinger and the Collectors.
That and it's in the name why it's not so deadly, it's just a larva. It's not a complete doomsday machine, it's not even half of one. Like you pointed out it's not even revealed till the end and it certainly hasn't been harvesting humans or doing really anything intelligent till you awaken it. By and large the damage is all done by the collectors by the will of the reapers.

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
Vedrenne said:
I disagree on Diablo (3), to an extent. The extent being that he was easy on the first two difficulty settings on release (Normal and Nightmare, iirc). Once you got to Hell and, especially, Inferno difficulty, he was the biggest pain in the backside going.
Also the author misses a major plot point in mentioning Diablo's appearance...

The change in appearance is because the human host was female. His leaner form reflects the feminine body.

He has hips and boob-plates.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
1) Yeah...not really much going for him. Nothing stands out about him in my memory except him yelling, "DRRRRAAAAAKKKKEEE!" in the final fight over and over.

2) Um...is it bad that I have NO IDEA who that is, despite owning and beating the game? I mean, I can recognize all other bosses from VII, VIII, X, and X-2, and possibly a few from IX, but seriously...who?

3) Ah, Alduin. The fight's even worse if, like me, you've done all the other side quests before that point, because then you just stomp him. And can someone explain to me why he attacked the little outpost you were at at that exact moment? If he had waited just a few more seconds, he would have won. To this day, I have not come across a good reason for why he chose that point in time to make his return.

4) Laser to the face. Done. Moving on.

5) I don't know...RAAM stomped me into the ground pretty hard when I first got to him. Even on normal, I could still barely beat him. I had to look up what to do on YouTube, because I just didn't seem to be doing enough damage fast enough. Agree about the other points though.

6) Baby Terminator robot.

7) Agree about Diablo too. In the first and second games, he crushed me. Again and again and again. Fighting him was a real terror, and it pushed me to my limits several times. But in III, he was just kind of there. The ex-Wisdom Angel was more of a challenge than him.

8) YES! Wesker baby! "CHRIS!"

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I have a soft spot for Wesker. He's a perfect fit in the RE universe - cheesy, ineffective, over the top.

Drake Barrow

Jan 10, 2010
I've got to step up to defend Wesker...a little. He's great for the RE games simply because he sums up Umbrella Psychosis in a single leather-clad package. They're the smartest people in the room, capable of creating technology and biotech that literally change the world, and what do they do with it? Make monsters, murder people in droves, and basically go 50 Shades of Cheesy Pulp Villain everywhere. And thus, Wesker.

And while it's a tortured stretch of the imagination to call anything with RE a 'development arc', Wesker's insanity grows from game to game. By RE5, he's completely over the edge. I'd figure that the constant mutations and 'upgrades' didn't help.

If he has a failing, it's that he's a Mary Sue. Nothing you do hurts him. Nothing. He takes bullets, explosions, toxic overdoses (that are supposed to cripple him), and dips in lava until he dies by plot point at the very end. I would be hard pressed to think of a less balanced villain in any game, ever.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
All of the reasons Wesker is a terrible villain are also the reasons Wesker is a great villain.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
The thing is some of these entries are clearly not "villains." Necron is NOT the villain of FFIX, he's the final boss (though Kuja was a terrible villain as well, so it doesn't save that game); same thing with the Human Reaper in ME2, it's just the final boss with Sovereign as true villain.

As for the rest of the villains, I have to agree except for Wesker, because he at least has a charm to him and possesses presence (D.C. Douglas' delicious performance only helping). Villains like Alduin, RAAM, and Guilty Spark are just there; they merely exist and have no presence. Villains with REAL presence are ones like Ganondorf, Sephiroth, Vergil, Krelian, or Romeo Guildenstern, a character that is ALWAYS on your mind in the game and when he shows up YOU PAY FUCKING ATTENTION. They don't even really need to be that complex (Ganondorf for example is literally a ball of evil) but if they can make it up in charisma then it doesn't matter. A villain you want to beat just so you can get it over with is terrible and considering the lack of good ones in gaming right now, it's a damn shame because it leads to heroes not having anyone to work off of.

layne

Jun 14, 2013
I can't really agree on Wesker. I liked his style and, as stated above, he had presence. It was also interesting to watch his journey (starting in RE1) to becoming completely unhinged in RE5.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
If you think of the Reaper larva as a baby playing as game of peek a boo it makes the fight even less threatening.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Drake Barrow said:
I've got to step up to defend Wesker...a little. He's great for the RE games simply because he sums up Umbrella Psychosis in a single leather-clad package. They're the smartest people in the room, capable of creating technology and biotech that literally change the world, and what do they do with it? Make monsters, murder people in droves, and basically go 50 Shades of Cheesy Pulp Villain everywhere. And thus, Wesker.

And while it's a tortured stretch of the imagination to call anything with RE a 'development arc', Wesker's insanity grows from game to game. By RE5, he's completely over the edge. I'd figure that the constant mutations and 'upgrades' didn't help.

If he has a failing, it's that he's a Mary Sue. Nothing you do hurts him. Nothing. He takes bullets, explosions, toxic overdoses (that are supposed to cripple him), and dips in lava until he dies by plot point at the very end. I would be hard pressed to think of a less balanced villain in any game, ever.
I'm actually convnced he's still alive in the lava. He just sunk down there and can't get out.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Aiddon said:
The thing is some of these entries are clearly not "villains." Necron is NOT the villain of FFIX, he's the final boss (though Kuja was a terrible villain as well, so it doesn't save that game)
The sad thing is, they did this better in Final Fantasy 3. Xande had Kuja's same basic ideas, but you could get behind his mindset a lot easier and even sympathize with him.

Then The Cloud of Darkness highjacked the villain spot and Xande was completely forgotten.

Thomas Barnsley

Mar 8, 2012
If you want a bad Halo villain, I'd say the Diadact was worse than Guilty Spark. At least with Spark you have to aim; the Halo 4 boss battle is a QTE.

UrinalDook

Jan 7, 2013
FFS, shooting Guilty Spark is not a 'boss fight'. With the exception of some fairly out of place moments in Halo 2, Halo doesn't have boss fights. You get to shoot Guilty Spark with a big fucking laser because after pissing you off for three games, it would have been really unsatisfying for the player to just watch him die in a cutscene. That's all there is to it. It's not meant to be challenging, it's not the 'culmination of a journey across three games' or any horseshit like that. It's throwing a bone to the player. It's saying 'you know that fuck you've been fruitlessly shooting at since the Library? Well now's your chance, go nuts.'

He's not really even a villain. He's an avatar, or a mouthpiece for Halo itself. Halo isn't good or evil, it's just a very dangerous tool. The villains of the Halo series are the Prophet of Truth and the Gravemind.