8 Video Games That Are Better Than The Movies They're Based On

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 Video Games That Are Better Than The Movies They're Based On

Usually the source material is better than the content it inspires. Today we look at eight video game adaptations that are better than the movies that spawned them. So check out the horrible movies and then revel in the superior video games that they inspired.

Read Full Article

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
Woah woah woah!
The warriors a shitty film!?

I don't agree with that one. It's a bit dated but the film is pretty decent in my opinion. The plot is interesting and it isn't trying to be another generic action film.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
The Warriors is shitty? Respect -10.

EDIT: My favorite part? You link to the rottentomatoes review of The Warriors. It has a 94%.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
So, what do we have here?
- The Warriors, a well-known classic that influenced games such as Double Dragon, Final Fight and Streets of Rage being called an unbelievably shitty film. And the screenshot is from the wrong game, to add insult to injury.
- A bunch of fan games. Because everyone is interested in those.
- No Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay/Assault on Dark Athena, which is only, you know, #1 title that comes when you mention "games that are better than movies they are based off". The 2005 The Punisher game also deserves a mention.

Yeah, this gallery is easily comparable with some of the first ones, they also were pretty bad.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
RealRT said:
So, what do we have here?
- The Warriors, a well-known classic that influenced games such as Double Dragon, Final Fight and Streets of Rage being called an unbelievably shitty film. And the screenshot is from the wrong game, to add insult to injury.
- A bunch of fan games. Because everyone is interested in those.
- No Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay/Assault on Dark Athena, which is only, you know, #1 title that comes when you mention "games that are better than movies they are based off". The 2005 The Punisher game also deserves a mention.

Yeah, this gallery is easily comparable with some of the first ones, they also were pretty bad.
This somehow managed to surpass the unbelievably stupid Bloodborne preview article they released a couple of weeks ago where the person previewing didn't even care about the game. I think I'm pretty much done with these galleries and Escapist articles in general. This level of stupidity, incompetence and plain ignorance is insufferable.

I'll be sticking with the forums from now on.

Darxide

Dec 14, 2009
crimson5pheonix said:

EDIT: My favorite part? You link to the rottentomatoes review of The Warriors. It has a 94%.
Precisely.

I think I'm going to go back to only coming to The Escapist for Escape to the Movies / Big Picture and Zero Punctuation. They're really the only worthwhile things on this site anymore and that's a shame.

Fcbook Del Orto

Feb 11, 2013
Darxide said:
crimson5pheonix said:

Precisely.

I think I'm going to go back to only coming to The Escapist for Escape to the Movies / Big Picture and Zero Punctuation. They're really the only worthwhile things on this site anymore and that's a shame.
Yeah, I'm doing the same. But this "shitty" list articles make me come here to complain. It's the only thing they're good for.

Aug 31, 2012
Did you just call The Warriors "unbelievably shitty"...

I know these "8 whatever" articles are a sort of long running joke on unbelievably shitty list websites and usually full of deliberate bullshit and mistakes, but dude, there are some things you don't say, even as a joke. People might actually think you believe that, and then you'd be lynched in the streets and it would be all your own fault. No court would convict your killers.

nyarlathotepsama

Apr 11, 2012
What?! The Warriors video game is better than the movie? That's it, it is time to throw down!!!

Seriously though; the Warriors video is pretty darn good. It is great example of taking an existing universe and expanding upon it. The voice acting is pretty good, especially for the time, and it makes pretty good usage of characters, themes and elements from the film. It is a shining paragon of how movie tie-in licensed games should be handled. Even 30 years after the movie has been release it was pretty true to the original vision. Solid title.

The rest of the list is...well... Just plain not true. Let's just leave it at that.

If you want to defend those opinions I challenge you to come out and play...

(Note)

You'd pretty much beat me up if you are anything more powerful than a 9 year old child.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
Warriors unbelievably shitty? Who else but Dievendorf? *queue canned laughter*

Agente L

Apr 4, 2010
What is even better about this claim about the warriors being "unbelivably shitty", is that he's linking a its rotten tomato page, which has 94% freshness and average rating of 7.4 lol.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I think someone is confusing the terms "Shitty"(which the warriors is not) and "Delightfully Cheesy"(which the warriors certainly is).

BASEBALL FURIES!

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I know these lists aren't supposed to be taken too seriously, but WTF?! 'The Warriors' was a really good movie.

Anyway, what I can't believe didn't get mentioned was "X-Men Origins: Wolverine", that game was 1000x better than the movie.

Mutie

Feb 2, 2009
How dare you say such things about Krull... It's a Gruddamn classic! :eek: I am slowly learning to despise the escapist :(

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Honorable Mention to X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

That movie is complete garbage but the PS2 game with the same title is actually a pretty damn solid piece of work even if it is pretty much just a God of War clone.

It should be pointed out that the game was under development before it was re-purposed into a movie tie and it's pretty obvious. The Boss fights and smaller levels that actually tie directly into the plot of the movie are obvious last minute additions that don't come anywhere close to being as good as the rest of the game.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I would say that the Sharknado game is as bad as the film, but not as fun.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
The warriors was not bad and Judge Dread is fun and interesting as far as action flicks go, better than the newer one at least.And Krull was fcking awesome! Hook was a better game.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
I noticed that you have a photo of the XBLA title 'the Warriors Street Brawl' there.

Shame that wasn't the game you were talking about.