8 Videogame Reboots that Left Fans Disappointed

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Videogame Reboots that Left Fans Disappointed

There have been plenty of reboots in the past few years, but these eight left fans wanting.

Read Full Article

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Most reboots try to bring games into the modern era not just in graphics, but in gameplay, content, and mechanics. Duke Nukem Forever broke that mold by trying to keep everything outside the visuals pretty much exactly the same.
Well this is a wrong as hell statement if I ever saw one. First of all:
DNF wasn't a reboot, it was a sequel to Duke Nukem 3D. A bad sequel, sure, but still, a sequel nonetheless. There surely were some more of actual reboots that disappointed people immensely *cough*Dungeon Keeper Mobile*cough*.
Second and most important: the gameplay was *nothing* like Duke Nukem 3D. NOTHING. You got shitty gunplay in place of awesome one, short, very scripted and linear as hell levels instead of sprawling labyrinthian environments each of which could take around half an hour to beat and that's without the secrets, the enemies were few and, let's not forget, let's not forget, dude, the bloody two weapons limit! Duke Nukem Forever's gameplay is an insult to DN3D - the only two things they have in common is that they are both FPS. But going by that, DNF has more in common with Half-Life than DN3D.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
A game like SimCity, and really any game without a story, should not be allowed to call itself a reboot. It just doesn't work as a concept. If there's no story, there's nothing to reboot, you can't reboot game mechanics. Time marches on, and if a game has no story and is either all sandbox without lore or is only multiplayer matches without lore then a new game is just that, a new game. Doesn't matter how you try and spin it, but for a game like SimCity or Star Wars Battlefront there is no such thing as a reboot by the simple virtue of there being nothing there to reboot. At best it's a lazy justification to try and excuse a game being sold for full Triple A prices that has less content then its predecessors a decade ago, and frankly that's deplorable for the publishers to do and anyone who falls for it is a moron.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Main thing I remember about Medal of Honor 2010 is that on the hardest difficulty, first play through, I beat the game in 2 hours and 15 minutes.

I'm good at FPS games, but I'm not some steely eyed speed run ninja. The only levels I failed at were the Apache section (because it was utterly awful) and the laser designation bit that just kicked off without any explanation as to what you were doing, how to do it or what the options/failure state were. I still only failed that bit once.

Turok 2008 wasn't half bad, it just wasn't especially exciting compared to Halo 3, TF2, Modern Warfare, Bad Company and so on. The knife mechanics were as hilariously fun as they were brutal.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
I wouldn't say they left fans disappointed. That term is far too kind. Left fans is a seething rage seems to fit better.

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
No speeding out judgments on the writhing manfools who made Thi4f?

This makes me a sad Taffer.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I wouldn't say Shadowrun, Medal of Honor, or DNF are reboots. Shadowrun is a game set in a pre-existing universe, as were the other Shadowrun games. MoH has a descendant of Patterson from the WWII era - it's like calling Modern Warfare a reboot. And DNF follows on from the, um, 'story' of the previous games.

Granted I've never played any of the above examples.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
StatusNil said:
No speeding out judgments on the writhing manfools who made Thi4f?

This makes me a sad Taffer.
Yup, THAT was a real disaster of a reboot. This reboot was so bad that it was secretly a sequel T__T (and it better wasn't)

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
still dumbfounded that they decided to use the shadowrun franchise to make that fps. glad they let other companies actually make rpgs out of them

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
As mentioned above, DN:F isn't really a reboot but a highly delayed sequel. I would have instead added something DmC: DMC, a disappointment for most long time DMC fans and did quite poorly commercially. Considering the success of DMC4: Special Edition, I wouldn't be surprised if the next DMC game is a proper DMC5 rather than DmC2.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I heard several complains about Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. I consider it was worth playing it; but nowhere near as good (or at least as scary) as the original Silent Hill.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
ShakerSilver said:
As mentioned above, DN:F isn't really a reboot but a highly delayed sequel. I would have instead added something DmC: DMC, a disappointment for most long time DMC fans and did quite poorly commercially. Considering the success of DMC4: Special Edition, I wouldn't be surprised if the next DMC game is a proper DMC5 rather than DmC2.
DmC also was highly rated by critics and got a lot of fans from people who didn't like DMC Classic. Now me, I'm not one of them, of course.
I love both the old series and the reboot.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
To be fair, a lot of the sequels on the list felt like reboots; they also came out years after the last installment and functioned as ways to cash in on an established if dormant ip. So while they were sequels, they functioned like reboots. All of these games were pretty memorable for just how much they failed, though.

When I first saw the thread title, my immediate reaction was 'how about 8 reboots that fans loved?'

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Don't forget NFS. I know I've been bitching about it all over the forums, but I just feel so bad about it.

And if we're talking sequels that have been a long time coming and failed...THPS5. I keep rewatching the Zaibatsu's video on it out of catharsis. JUST MAKE LEVELS, THAT YOU BEAT, AND THEN YOU GO.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
deathbydeath said:
I'd add Deus Ex: Human Revolution to that list. Fight me, nerds.
Ok, then:
1) Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a prequel to the first game, not a reboot.

2) A more appropriate disappointment of a reboot to fans of the original would be Syndicate. I should look up if it was just mediocre or if it flat out sucks.

ravenlordhun

Jun 27, 2012
deathbydeath said:
I'd add Deus Ex: Human Revolution to that list. Fight me, nerds.
Err... that was a sequel, not a reboot.
The game even has emails about how Jensen's DNA would be used to create the nanomachine augmentation (Denton&Paul).

It wasn't even a bad sequel, either. I mean, it had a few issues for sure (mostly the boss fights), but it almost lived up to the predecessor... which was a rather high bar.

I'd second adding Syndicate to the list.