800,000 sign up for Battlefield Premium

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
Since I planned on getting all the DLC anyway, Premium was actually cheaper. All the extra stuff that comes with premium is just a nice bonus. It will be the last purchase of an EA product I ever make, since none of their upcoming games interest me at all.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
still I love the Battlefield franchise and I have been with it from the beginning. I invested just as much money on all the expansion and boosters of BF2.

It makes sense for me to get something that I am likely going to get anyway. Even with the CQ maps I have enjoyed the change of pace much more than I thought I would. I can't wait to see what they do with Armored Kill and Endgame. I hope Aftermath has some real surprises and isn't just a new set of Co-OP maps like I have a feeling like it will be. I am still pulling for dinosaurs though....

DeadFOAM

Aug 7, 2010
If I had the money I would have bought Premium. I have nearly 300 hours played so far. And I'm not slowing down. It's a pretty good deal, in my opinion. But I didn't have the extra money.

Yes, EA is the asshole of the game scene. But I've always said that I'll buy things that interest me. Might as well support the things they do that I agree with.

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
I ain't doing this one because I don't play Battlefield, but I signed up for CoD Elite, and as others have said re:BP, it was for the maps.

I don't even use the "Elite" functionality.

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
Hey, they're saving money.

I wanted to get Battlefield 3 really bad, but I've been told that it uses an online pass and I refuse to support that :(

And I kind of wish others wouldn't either, but BF3 is a great game.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
I may get it sometime this year, the maps and weapons look awesome, and motorbikes man. Motorbikes.

Alternative

Jun 2, 2010
*slams head repeatedly against the wall*

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

If people keep buying this Call of duty Elite/ Battlefield 3 premium crap then the companys are going to keep doing it, just like the online activation codes.

arggh *exasperated sigh*

EA makes money ripping people off, nothing new to see here.

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
Capitano Segnaposto said:
People need to stop bitching about what EA does. Not EVERYTHING is evil you damned hippies.
This.

I see no reason why EA should change anything about their business model. Not because I think it's a good one, oh hell no, it's shit designed to punish paying customers at every opportunity. But instead because it doesn't matter what they do, the internet will just hate them for it. Might as well do what you know works if you'll get the exact same reaction regardless.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Well, I signed up.

Honestly, it seemed like a good deal. Even having already bought back to karkand, I save money, and DICE usually make solid DLC. Put in a few added extras including early access to the DLC, and I was sold.

I've always been pro-season pass, though. True, you can get royally screwed on it sometimes (saints row the third. Four content-light DLCs, only one of which was truly, fully enjoyable)
but multiplayer games thrive on a steady stream of new content to keep things fresh, and this allows people who intend on being there every step of the way to be rewarded for their loyalty.

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
Alternative said:

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

If people keep buying this Call of duty Elite/ Battlefield 3 premium crap then the companys are going to keep doing it, just like the online activation codes.

arggh *exasperated sigh*

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you're one of the people who thinks you are entitled to getting games for free. Newsflash: these games cost MILLIONS to develop. Yes, they make a whole hell of a lot more money than that off sales, but it's a BUSINESS for a reason. Businesses exist to make money. People like you are the reason prices have gone up. Pirating gave these large companies an excuse to raise their prices to 60 dollars from 50 dollars. I'm not saying that it wasn't out of greed because for sure it was, but if pirating of games wasn't so widespread, it would've been a whole lot harder for them to justify raising that price point. Also, if a game is entirely online (yes I know they have a single player, no I don't think it's important), then why not use an online pass? I don't like having to connect to the internet to play my single player games as much as the next person. But if I'm going to play online anyway then what's the problem?

Deathwatch050

Jul 30, 2009
Jove said:
Their called "sheep". So unfortunate that they don't know any better.
Sorry, do you even know what you're talking about? Why don't you read the rest of the thread and figure out if these people really are getting ripped off?

trollpwner said:
Frosty05 said:
How is getting a discount on all the DLC we would otherwise buy seperately, 2 weeks early access and a bunch of other, less important goodies being "easily fooled"?

I know I'm going to be buying all the DLC because I love the game and I have faith in DICE. Not everyone does, but then, nobody's forcing us to buy it, are they? So I bought Premium and made a saving on DLC and got cool stuff to boot. You can argue all you want that I'm stupid and easily fooled for doing so, but it won't make any difference and you'd be petty for doing so.

I wish people would just stop jumping to conclusions about other people's choices. You (not you specifically, people in general) really think a whole 800,000 people are so stupid that they would buy something they wouldn't make a saving on? It's up to personal preference and if we want to buy their product, we will buy their product. Simple as.

Rant over. Hope I didn't offend you, Trollpwner, or anyone else. I did get a bit irritated there. :p
Whoah! Chillax! I'm not saying you're stupid, Per se. Especially not when you're jumping on what seems to be a very good deal. It's just that if people complain that people are signing up to this service, despite its flaws, they're not going to find their complaints easily resolved, because their problem is people disagreeing with them.
No worries, man. :)

It seems to me that a LOT of people are just jumping on what they see as a bandwagon and saying people who bought Battlefield 3 Premium are "stupid" and "sheep", despite knowing sweet fanny adams about what it actually entails. Premium is NOT a yearly subscription model. It is a one-time purchase that saves you money on all the rest of the DLC with a bunch of nice extras to boot! It is NOT Call of Duty Elite!

I thought the Escapist was smarter than this. Usually I lurk but the quantity of threads where people who don't know what they're talking about weigh in with their misguided opinion without providing any justification for it that I notice when I post in them is... it's a lot, man.

Chainsaws_of_War_2

Jan 15, 2009
I don't really have an issue with the principle of what EA is doing, just the pricing. New maps and weapons shouldn't cost that much, separately or otherwise. It's hardly any game changing content, just more of the same.

And I expected much more than 800,000. I guess the economy took a toll on mommy and daddy's once loose wallets.

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
Kahunaburger said:
Do you know how many hats you could buy with that money?
I actually love this reply. I don't know why it's just that people are perfectly accepting of VALVe milking their hat rabid fanbase for money yet for some reason paying for ACTUAL CONTENT is bang out of line, for the sole reason: "because EA".

Deathwatch050

Jul 30, 2009
Jove said:
Frosty05 said:
Jove said:
Their called "sheep". So unfortunate that they don't know any better.
Sorry, do you even know what you're talking about? Why don't you read the rest of the thread and figure out if these people really are getting ripped off?
Its called sarcasm man. My humor is not that dry is it? XD
XD Oh dear! So dry it's a fine powder! I think the "their/they're" misspelling tipped me over on deciding if you were being serious or not. :p

Alternative

Jun 2, 2010
the doom cannon said:
Alternative said:

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

arggh *exasperated sigh*

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you're one of the people who thinks you are entitled to getting games for free. Newsflash: these games cost MILLIONS to develop. Yes, they make a whole hell of a lot more money than that off sales, but it's a BUSINESS for a reason. Businesses exist to make money. People like you are the reason prices have gone up. Pirating gave these large companies an excuse to raise their prices to 60 dollars from 50 dollars. I'm not saying that it wasn't out of greed because for sure it was, but if pirating of games wasn't so widespread, it would've been a whole lot harder for them to justify raising that price point. Also, if a game is entirely online (yes I know they have a single player, no I don't think it's important), then why not use an online pass? I don't like having to connect to the internet to play my single player games as much as the next person. But if I'm going to play online anyway then what's the problem?
No i don't expect my games to be free, i am well aware that they cost millions to make. I also know EA spends twice that on advertising.
I am just sick of them squeezing Bf3 for every last cent, Online activation code, 5 pre-planned DLCs, Rent only servers, pay-to-unlock-everything and now premium.

Im just pissed that so many people brought into it, personally i dont feel like it adds anything to the game.
i loved BF3s multiplayer when i got it at launch
but now i feel like it just wants me for my money.
I have the same problem with TF2

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
If it didn't include all the DLC and save people 10 dollars to that effect, yep, I'd be up there calling those people sheep and saying that we need to stop giving in to overpriced gimmicks and publisher control. But since it does, I don't see why signing up for Premium is a bad decision for those who DO intend to buy all the DLC. In fact I'd consider you an idiot if you were one of those people and didn't sign up.