U.S. Senator Praises Sony's PSN Response

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
U.S. Senator Praises Sony's PSN Response

The Senator who called Sony on the carpet for its handling of the PlayStation Network mess is now praising the company for its response to his inquiries and offer of protection to customers who are affected by the security breach.

U.S. Senator Richard Blumenthal did not sound like a happy camper [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109578-U-S-Senator-Blasts-Sony-for-Keeping-Breach-Secret] in his letter to Sony Computer Entertainment of America President Jack Tretton, sent roughly a week after the PlayStation Network went offline, in which he called on the company to reveal what it knew and when it knew it, why it was so slow in informing customers of the breach and what it intended to do to protect them against identity theft and other issues arising from the loss of their data. Referring to Sony's silence in the week following the attack as "troubling," he said, "Sony has not notified customers of the intrusion, or provided information that is vital to allowing individuals to protect themselves from identity theft, such as informing users whether their personal or financial information may have been compromised."

But Sony's response to Blumenthal's questions and its promise to extend identity theft protection to PSN customers in the U.S. for one year at no charge seems to have softened his attitude a bit. "I welcome Sony's strong first step toward protecting millions of consumers whose personal and financial information has been compromised," the Senator said in a statement [http://blumenthal.senate.gov/press/release/index.cfm?id=E347AED3-DF21-493D-BAA6-BAFA9FF12F84]. "While I continue to believe that Sony should have warned users earlier, I am pleased they are providing protective measures including an insurance policy to cover identity theft harms to consumers within a twelve-month window - but I would hope Sony would extend coverage over a longer time on a case-by-case basis if necessary."

Blumenthal went so far as to state that Sony's response to the situation "could serve as a model for other companies facing similar criminal hacking," which he apparently expects to see more of in the future. "The crime perpetrated on Sony and PlayStation Network users is part of a larger troubling trend of cybercrime, and a reminder that our laws and data security resources must keep pace with advancing technology," he added.

Sony unveiled its plan for PSN customers in the U.S. still in the works [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109812-Sony-CEO-Speaks-Out-on-PSN-Catastrophe].

via: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/34567/Senator_Sony_Could_Serve_As_A_Model_For_Cybercrime_Victims.php]

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Maybe he can convince his colleague in the lower chamber, Mary Bono Mack, to knock off all her grandstanding.

StarCecil

Feb 28, 2010
yookiwooki said:
Well, I guess somebody just got a large campaign donation from Sony...
Hey, you might want to can it. We gamers can only benefit from a stronger video game lobby.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
I imagine this won't return the confidence customers lost over this debacle.

But I think people should start realising that this isn't an isolated incident. People have to really be careful in relation to the internet. A determined hacker could easily hit paypal or your own bank, and cause just as much damage.

It's good to see this incident has put the fire under important peoples asses. Whether it helps in the long run is completely up in the air though.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
StarCecil said:
yookiwooki said:
Hey, you might want to can it. We gamers can only benefit from a stronger video game lobby.
That's only if gamers ever see themselves as being all in the same boat and quit dividing themselves into fanboy camps.

StarCecil

Feb 28, 2010
JDKJ said:
StarCecil said:
yookiwooki said:
That's only if gamers ever see themselves as being all in the same boat and quit dividing themselves into fanboy camps.
You own an Xbox, don't you? You wouldn't sound so un-American if you didn't! Har har har!!!

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Am I the only one laughing at the fact that Anonymous got hacked by anonymous? That shit is too funny. Talk about a cat fighting itself in a mirror.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
StarCecil said:
JDKJ said:
StarCecil said:
yookiwooki said:
You own an Xbox, don't you? You wouldn't sound so un-American if you didn't! Har har har!!!
Help me out. Sarcasm? Humor? Stupidity? I'm not seeing which one it is.

mrfredy5

May 22, 2008
StarCecil said:
yookiwooki said:
Yes, but his comment still stands. Infact a sence of transparency within politics is something I would place pretty highly.

Enkidu88

Jan 24, 2010
I do believe that Captcha just insulted you JDKJ.

On topic: I like Blumenthal, well as much as I can like any politician, so this is just another check in the like column. I agree that Sony is doing a pretty okay job, more or less. A lot of corporations in their position would probably just try and stonewall the media with "No comment" bullshit, and even when the truth came out they would refuse to take responsibility. As it is, they admitted their screwup and are trying their best to fix it.

StarCecil

Feb 28, 2010
JDKJ said:
StarCecil said:
JDKJ said:
StarCecil said:
yookiwooki said:
Is there a difference?

Enkidu88

Jan 24, 2010
StarCecil said:
JDKJ said:
StarCecil said:
JDKJ said:
StarCecil said:
yookiwooki said:
Is there a difference?
Mark Twain is spinning in his grave...

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Enkidu88 said:
I do believe that Captcha just insulted you JDKJ.

On topic: I like Blumenthal, well as much as I can like any politician, so this is just another check in the like column. I agree that Sony is doing a pretty okay job, more or less. A lot of corporations in their position would probably just try and stonewall the media with "No comment" bullshit, and even when the truth came out they would refuse to take responsibility. As it is, they admitted their screwup and are trying their best to fix it.
Yeah, I was tempted to tell it something back.

I wasn't ever keen on Blumenthal, but he does earn some JDKJ points for knowing when to let go of a bone.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
StarCecil said:
JDKJ said:
StarCecil said:
JDKJ said:
StarCecil said:
yookiwooki said:
Is there a difference?
That you wonder if there is answers my question. Thanks.

StarCecil

Feb 28, 2010
Enkidu88 said:
StarCecil said:
JDKJ said:
StarCecil said:
JDKJ said:
StarCecil said:
yookiwooki said:
Is there a difference?
Mark Twain is spinning in his grave...
Gotta tell you, I never cared for Mark Twain. Working volunteer in a library doing inventory on two hundred of his books three times in a row does that to a guy.

OT: I'm glad that at least one U.S. Senator is currently in our court. I hope whoever instigated the attack gets exactly what's coming to them, and I hope cyber terrorist groups like Anonymous feel what it's like to be in the hands of Federal Agents.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
HankMan said:
Andy Chalk said:
"I welcome Sony's strong first step toward protecting millions of consumers whose personal and financial information has been compromised," the Senator said
Yeah...
Shouldn't they have taken that 'first step' when they originally setup the PSN though?
You used to be funny with your terrible puns, but now all you do is wait for a new article about Sony to take pot shots from behind the internet.

OT: I'm happy with Sony's response too. I'm not sure why everyone seems to think Sony owe's them some massive prize. They got hacked, so they owe you security, which they've done (for 'mericans, but I expect similar plans are on the way for most other people too). So no bitching there.

Possibly they owe people for PSN being taken down, and they're doing that too.

StarCecil

Feb 28, 2010
Braedan said:
HankMan said:
Andy Chalk said:
"I welcome Sony's strong first step toward protecting millions of consumers whose personal and financial information has been compromised," the Senator said
Yeah...
Shouldn't they have taken that 'first step' when they originally setup the PSN though?
You used to be funny with your terrible puns, but now all you do is wait for a new article about Sony to take pot shots from behind the internet.

OT: I'm happy with Sony's response too. I'm not sure why everyone seems to think Sony owe's them some massive prize. They got hacked, so they owe you security, which they've done (for 'mericans, but I expect similar plans are on the way for most other people too). So no bitching there.

Possibly they owe people for PSN being taken down, and they're doing that too.
Really, the problem isn't that Sony didn't protect consumers, but that douche bags wanted to harm Sony and their customers. Granted that Sony is expected to provide security for their customers, I see little of the irrational hate that's going towards Sony going towards the perpetrators of this crime. Sony is as much a victim as us.