Highlander Reboot Still Alive and Kicking, Says Terminator 5 Director

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Highlander Reboot Still Alive and Kicking, Says Terminator 5 Director

The director says that it's not a question of if movie will get made, but rather when.

Justin Lin, the director of Fast & Furious 5, as well as the upcoming fifth Terminator movie, says that yet another project his attached to - the Highlander reboot - hasn't been shelved despite Lin's incredibly crowded schedule.

Lin said that he'd been working with Art Marcum and Matt Holloway, two of the writers behind Iron Man. He said that the project was in good shape, and that he intended to continue working on it when he had finished publicizing Fast 5.

He admitted, however, that it might be a while before actual filming started on the project. "You work on so many projects all at once," he said. "And at some point, you have to make the call. I feel like right now, I still have to see all the other things come together for us to go make it."

Also supposedly involved in the project is Melissa Rosenberg, and Emmy winning screenwriter who also penned the Twilight movies. Rosenberg was supposedly working on a script [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107674-Twilight-Screenwriter-Penning-Highlander-Reboot ], but Lin seems to suggest that the project isn't at that stage yet. Other comments, this time made by the film's producer, Neal Moritz, suggest that it's an origin story, and won't come out until next year at the earliest. And with Lin working on so many other projects, even 2012 seems optimistic.

Source: MTV [http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2011/05/05/highlander-justin-lin-director/]

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Logan Westbrook said:
Also supposedly involved in the project is Melissa Rosenberg, and Emmy winning screenwriter who also penned the Twilight movies. Rosenberg was supposedly working on a script [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107674-Twilight-Screenwriter-Penning-Highlander-Reboot ], but Lin seems to suggest that the project isn't at that stage yet.
Well, it couldn't make the series any worse at this point. I loved the first one, but the others were bad. Highlanders are aliens? What?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Really? This is getting a reboot, but we're not giving hte Dark Tower a chance?

... eh, I'll bend to hollywood and actually.. no, I porbably wont see it, cause i only saw the first two films and the anime one.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Oh god, first the Crow, and now Highlander.

Please leave good films alone!

(Thinking about Mel Gibson movies, i wouldn't mind another Mad Max though)

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Just make Highlander 2: The Directors Cut, where he (the director) comes out and apologizes for 10 minutes then shoots himself. Save yourself the hate Mr. Lin.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
I'm not saying the franchise itself couldn't use a reboot, but the first movie (the one you must tackle first, ironically) was pretty damned good. Which makes things a little tricky to start with.

Especially for a man with his... credentials.

But his enthusiasm and determination to get around to it "eventually" are admirable.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
uhm....kay? Honestly had convinced myself to forget about this, but hey, the fact that he's also directing Terminator 5 is at least fair warning there are two movies I need to warn my friends about.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Raithnor said:
It's kind of ironic that a movie franchise about immortals refuses to die.
Franchise, what are you talking about? There is only one Highlander movie...right...or have I been living in denial after watching some of the others?
*Memory about other Highlander movies awaken* Nooooo, oh god why!? ;_;

OT:...just let it die, Highlander movies after Highlander 1 have been raping the story...The Quickening even managed to do it alone D:

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Did you guys hear that? That my friends, was the sound of Spoony's soul dying at the prospect of ANOTHER Highlander movie. Seriously, I am really glad that I wasn't a fan of this franchise when it was on its initial run, I probably would've killed someone after seeing "The Source."

Metal Brother

Jan 4, 2010
A few quotes leap immediately to mind:

"I took his sequel and raped his audience before the box office was even cold."

"There can be only FAIL!"

Metal Brother

Jan 4, 2010
A few quotes leap immediately to mind:

"I took his sequel and raped his audience before the box office was even cold."

"There can be only FAIL!"

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
the director of Fast & Furious 5, as well as the upcoming fifth Terminator movie
I don't trust this director's talent at all.

*EDIT* Not to mention the Twilight penner, and I don't know of any good movies other than Iron Man 1 that those writers made.

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
I didn't know who the new director of Terminator 5 was (why would I?), but I'm quite alarmed that his resume boasts Fast Five.

Not to be taken in the wrong way, but the revelation that Arnie will return in the fifth (when his model has effectively been explained away as obsolete) I find myself pondering what good can possibly come of this film.

With Fast Five so very barely relating to fast cars, what will happen here?

I'll reserve further judgments for in a year's time.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
"Is this a kind of magic...?"

Probably not.

It's remarkable that one quirky good movie with an awesome Queen soundtrack managed to keep its mojo going for this long, but let's be fair: every other Highlander movie spent much of its time pretending that some or all of the events of the previous movies didn't happen. I'm not waiting on this one with bated breath.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Well look at the bright side. Theres no way in hell it could be worse then Highlander 2...

Right?