Stephen Merchant "Exhausted" By Role as Portal 2's Wheatley

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Stephen Merchant "Exhausted" By Role as Portal 2's Wheatley

Stephen Merchant made the role of Wheatley in Portal 2 look easy, but it was one of his most mentally taxing projects ever.

**SPOILER ALERT**
In anticipation of reader rage, please know that this post will spoil very important portions of Portal 2 that you may not want spoiled. Thank you.
**SPOILER ALERT**

Anyone that's played their way through Portal 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Portal-2-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6E3C8/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1305297907&sr=1-1] already knows how great Stephen Merchant was in the role of personality core Wheatley. While first appearing to be a one-dimensional character, Wheatley progresses from a good-natured sidekick to a mildly devious, bumbling villain. Merchant says that the breadth of the role, in addition to the amount of work required, was absolutely exhausting.

In an interview with MTV, Merchant revealed that videogames had slipped off of his radar since college, so he didn't know exactly what he was getting into with Portal 2. When fans became more excited for it than "anything he's done before," it was weird for him. "Suddenly I realized, this is quite a big deal and what I thought was an easy gig, I suddenly felt this responsibility to try and do a good job," Merchant said.

"I have to say, I found the entire thing really exhausting," he revealed. "More than anything I've ever done before because I'm in this little recording booth, shouting down these imaginary corridors, imaginary gantries, pretending to fall off things and really trying to move around and live it as best I could ... I was really working hard to try and put myself in that environment, I guess, which is not something I normally do as a performer."

The mental stress of the role only got harder when Merchant had to act out Wheatley's evil side, after the AI core goes mad with power. "The thing which alarmed me was the fact that I have to shift from being lovably hopeless to being hopelessly evil," he added. "I was actually a little intimidated by that, it's not something I feel naturally comfortable with, being villainous ... I wasn't really expecting that, because I hadn't read the whole script up front. So that was a little worrying, would that work."

Merchant said that once Wheatley's recordings were wrapped, he was so tired and exhausted that he thought: "I can never do this again." Still, he's surprised and happy with the response to the game, noting that videogames are a "really legitimate, creative art form now," ranking right alongside movies and "whatever else people really take to their hearts."

Source: MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011/05/12/stephen-merchant-wheatley-portal-2-portal-3/]

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
Wheatly was awesome. He did a good job. I dunno what that guy above me is on about, he seems like a nice guy who suddenly realized the pressure of the role once he saw how popular it was.

Mad1Cow

Jan 8, 2011
Sober Thal said:
I hated Wheatlty... they should have focused on the 3 personality spheres like they originally wanted to.

The 'Jar Jar' of Portal 2 is my least favorite character, from a good game, I've seen in a long time. I can see why people liked the character though, and it did seem like he poured a lot into the role. I just couldn't stand him. When you're first able to pick him up, I just wanted to drop him over the side of the catwalks.

Also: "I suddenly felt this responsibility to try and do a good job"

Wow, so he was planning on doing a bad/mediocre job until he found out Portal was popular? What an ass.
Different strokes for different blokes...

I personally really enjoyed Wheatley and thought Stephen Merchant was a perfect choice. In fact there were times when I just sat back from playing the game to have a good listen to what he was saying. A lot of the time, the nonsense just made me laugh and I love how idiotic he was.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
For doing such a very complicated role as Wheatly, it is a little mind bending to do a friendly helper to the villain. But seriously, he should have known that voice acting is never ever a walk in the park. He did deliver, but I get the sense that he though he was going to blow it out of the water easily without realizing the depth of his role.

But if you listen to all the extra stuff that he says as Wheatly in later parts of the game, you realize how much material he had to work through, and with that, I salute him. He did an awesome job.

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
Wheatley was easily my favorite part of Portal 2 up until Cave Johnson and his lemons rant. After that point I don't think there was much of a contest.

Always interesting to hear from the voice behind the character. Strangely, voice actors seem so surprised at how popular their material is lately. First Tara Strong is completely oblivious to the fact that MLP:FIM is insanely popular, and with the older, male demographic at that (How do you feel about how MLP has become popular with teenage to adult males? Tara: "Wait, what?". Hmm I wonder how she's going to react when men ask her to do Twilight Sparkle over something like Timmy Turner or any game character she has voiced). Now we have Stephen Merchant realizing that Portal is kind of a big deal.

Glad to hear he upped the ante.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Sober Thal said:
I read that as he was looking at this as 'just another job', not something to take too seriously.

OT: Wheatley was one of the most amusing villains I've encountered in a game for a while now, I'm glad he didn't treat the character as 'just another job.'

Captain-Giggles

May 21, 2008
Mad1Cow said:
Sober Thal said:
I hated Wheatlty... they should have focused on the 3 personality spheres like they originally wanted to.

The 'Jar Jar' of Portal 2 is my least favorite character, from a good game, I've seen in a long time. I can see why people liked the character though, and it did seem like he poured a lot into the role. I just couldn't stand him. When you're first able to pick him up, I just wanted to drop him over the side of the catwalks.

Wow, so he was planning on doing a bad/mediocre job until he found out Portal was popular? What an ass.
Different strokes for different blokes...

I personally really enjoyed Wheatley and thought Stephen Merchant was a perfect choice. In fact there were times when I just sat back from playing the game to have a good listen to what he was saying. A lot of the time, the nonsense just made me laugh and I love how idiotic he was.
Agreed, I think he did a fantastic job, and I do recall just stopping to listen to him. Especially when:
You just got up from the gangway, and he's explaining how good it would be if you killed yourself with the masher.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
As much as I love Merchant as Wheatly I really wish they would've brought his friend Karl Pilkington as another personality core who would whine and complain and say things like "I really don't know why you bother, this is just exhausting, sit down, take a load off, and just have a bag of crisps."

universaltraveller

Apr 28, 2011
Yeah Stephen Merchant did an awesome job. I've always liked most of his work, he's brilliant on The Ricky Gervais Show (as apposed to Ricky himself, whom I do not like), also Stephen was funny in Hot Fuzz as Mr P.I. Staker, the farmer whose swan escaped.

All in all, Wheatley was a great character, and Portal 2 was a pretty perfect game.

[Edit]
Rednog said:
As much as I love Merchant as Wheatly I really wish they would've brought his friend Karl Pilkington as another personality core who would whine and complain and say things like "I really don't know why you bother, this is just exhausting, sit down, take a load off, and just have a bag of crisps."
That would have been hilarious. Karl is the best part of the Ricky Gervais show...

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
Rednog said:
That would have been amazing.

And I think merchant did a suberp job, so he had no need to worry.

Papadam

Apr 9, 2009
Wheatley was the best part of Portal 2.
GLADos got annoying really fast and was not funny at all.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I've said it before, but I think it's the best voice over performace ever, and that includes animated movies and TV series. It helps that it's also flawlessly animated. I'm just sad that he said he never wanted to do it again, I'd love for more of Wheatley in either DLC or a Portal 2.

universaltraveller said:
Yeah Stephen Merchant did an awesome job. I've always liked most of his work, he's brilliant on The Ricky Gervais Show (as apposed to Ricky himself, whom I do not like), also Stephen was funny in Hot Fuzz as Mr P.I. Staker, the farmer whose swan escaped.

All in all, Wheatley was a great character, and Portal 2 was a pretty perfect game.

[Edit]
Rednog said:
That would have been hilarious. Karl is the best part of the Ricky Gervais show...
He's pretty much the whole part...

Rednog said:
There were times where I though Wheatley was him actually, it seems like his kind of character, if you know what I mean. But you're idea is even better, maybe a DLC?

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
may not have liked Wheatley entirely as a character, I did like Stephen's job. He did the voice work really well.

universaltraveller

Apr 28, 2011
GeorgW said:
I've said it before, but I think it's the best voice over performace ever, and that includes animated movies and TV series. It helps that it's also flawlessly animated. I'm just sad that he said he never wanted to do it again, I'd love for more of Wheatley in either DLC or a Portal 2.

Rednog said:
There were times where I though Wheatley was him actually, it seems like his kind of character, if you know what I mean. But you're idea is even better, maybe a DLC?
That would be an awesome idea for some DLC... Now that has made me excited, if only it would happen... Make it happen... Now!

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Rednog said:
And then a Ricky Gervais personality core could make fun of him.
Yea. That would've been pretty funny but probably would've ended up feeling dated if it wasn't integrated properly.

I think he did a good job but maybe he should read the whole script next time before committing to a project.
Everyone else always says how easy and fun game VO work is.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well, he did a great job and I'm glad he decided to try his best. Anything else wouldn't have suited the game, imo.
I myself loved Wheatley, such a funny, great character. And he wasn't even a normal villain. There wasn't a moment playing when i though "MAYBE, somehow, i can turn him back...i just don't want to kill him... Please, make it so that he becomes normal!"

Zeekar

Jun 1, 2009
So...He basically was surprised that he had to do any hard work here? Sounds kinda whiny to me. Still, I can't deny that I'm glad he pulled himself together to fulfill his role. I hated Wheatly with a passion, but that was a driving factor of the game that was due fully to Merchant's performance.

Defeating that irritating little personality sphere...

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
I actually liked Wheatley at first. After the switch-over, however, I changed my mind about him. I'd rather have GLaDOS in power than Wheatley. At least she knows what she's doing.