MineCraft Goes Ghibli in Custom Map

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
MineCraft Goes Ghibli in Custom Map

You probably won't ever see My Neighbor Totoro Lego sets, but this might be the next best thing.

If there's one thing that anime and Minecraft have in common, it's that they both have fans in all parts of the world. This custom Minecraft map, which recreates the fantastical locales of the Oscar-winning Studio Ghibli, is by no means the first anime-inspired map, but it might just be one of the best.

The map, created by the Oz Workshop in South Korea, draws inspiration from all across the studio's 26-year history. It includes the Bathhouse from Spirited Away, Laputa from Castle in the Sky, and Howls' Moving Castle from - predictably enough - Howl's Moving Castle. There's also lots of other things to find, like the plane from Porco Rosso, or Totoro flying across the sky.

The level of detail on the map is astounding, and you don't have to be a fan of Studio Ghibli, to appreciate the time and effort that went into it. If you want to grab the map, you can do so here [http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/-minecraft-ghibli-world-/], although it does use a custom texture pack, so it might not look the same as it does in the video. If you can understand Korean, you can also read a lot more about the project by visiting the Oz Workshop blog [http://blog.naver.com/nolera/70108297219 ].

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5802158/studio-ghibli-meets-minecraft]

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
When I look at things like this then look at some of my creations I just feel like I suck hard at Minecraft.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
I'm never going to be able to play Minecraft again without thinking of how amazing that world was. I'm just going to assume the name of the person who made that is I'm Motherfuckingawesomeson, which would be a weird name for a Korean person.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ok that is got to be the most awesome creations I have ever seen in Minecraft (well ok that Kanto region in Minecraft was also awesome).
I wonder when they will create that city (if possible) from Kiki's Delivery Service, that street from Whisper of the Heart, Iron Town fromPrincess Mononoke or even that coastal town in Ponyo?

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
Man I watch "My Neighbor Totoro" yesterday for the first time. Absolutely love their films since I discovered "Spirited Away".

I'm left in absolute awe at the skill some people have and the way they bring those visions into reality.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
This is the most unbelievably awesome thing I have ever seen.

Which texture pack does it use? Can we download that too?

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
That is awesome, especially the Spirited Away and the Laputa models. Great job

Sepko

Feb 16, 2010
Brilliantly made, makes my creations look dire by comparison. But then I remember that I made my creations without the help of inventory hacks/MCedit and I feel better about myself :3

halfeclipse

Nov 8, 2008
Sylocat said:
This is the most unbelievably awesome thing I have ever seen.

Which texture pack does it use? Can we download that too?
Aza's Arid Pack by the looks of it. Bit of a pain to install, but very pretty.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=64678

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
I could do that...I just don't want to :p

But seriously, that's a whole new level of Minecraft awesome. I wonder how many man-hours they have in the project.

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
Well it LOOKS pretty awesome but the download isn't a world.
It's something that claims to be a schematic but MCEdit won't import it.

:(

EDIT: Well I was just being an idiot. Needed to import the level.dat as a schematic.

on another note 81.6 million blocks ... holy shit

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
That's pretty amazing and further proof that Minecraft is solidifying itself into becoming a classic.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
That was pretty dang sweet to behold. I look forward to what the next person does with Minecraft.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
All one can do is look at this and realize whatever they make in Minecraft will suckass in comparison...

BUT DAYUM!!! If it dont look incredible...