Bethesda Outs Skyrim as Unlimited Dragon Buffet

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Bethesda Outs Skyrim as Unlimited Dragon Buffet

Grab your weapons and put on your armor; there are dragons to hunt.

Try as they might, players of the upcoming fifth Elder Scrolls title, Skyrim [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HYIAPM/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_d2_i5?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1C3D74W3KA1R68ZGZGMK&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846], will never be able to kill all of the game's dragons. That's not because there's one unkillable one tucked away somewhere though, but rather that the game has an unending supply of them.

Speaking to Norwegian gaming site, Gamer.No [http://www.gamer.no/artikler/84242/intervju-om-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-del-2/], Bethesda's Todd Howard said that as well as a number of scripted encounters with fire-breathing, flying reptiles, Skyrim would also contain an unlimited number of random dragons that players could find and fight, making dragon hunting a profitable and sustainable career.

Not every dragon would be just beasts to kill however, Howard explained, and some would actually be able to talk to the player, although he couldn't go into too much detail on that point just yet. There was even some talk of being able to ride a dragon, which Howard said that it wasn't currently a feature in the game, but that the situation could change in the future.

Howard also explained why it had taken so long for dragons to appear in an Elder Scrolls game. He said that dragons had become something of a cliché in fantasy games, and it was something that Bethesda had decided not to do them just for the sake of it. He said that the studio had decided that Skyrim was the right game, and the right setting, for dragons to make their Elder Scrolls debut, but that it wanted to handle them like a Jurassic Park game might handle dinosaurs.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on November 11th.

Source: via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2011/05/18/howard-unlimited-number-of-dragons-to-feature-in-skyrim/]

Bek359

Feb 23, 2010
Hey, the main article is getting a 404 error for me. Just so you know.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
If they let us ride them/ train them and sell their children to peasants i will go and buy this game. Being able to morph into a dragon yourself after killing, say, 50 of them would also suffice.

This game sounds awesome.

Farson89

Apr 16, 2009
I'm actually not thrilled about this news, seems like it'll make dragon appearances less special and eventually they'll end up very meh.

Ranchcroutons

Sep 12, 2010
I loved oblivion but the one thing that bothered me was the lack of dragons. i think this makes it alright

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Sweet! I was hoping they'd leave it unlimited, I'd hate to be stuck just going "I'm so bored now I killed them all".

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Release date is November 11th, and in 3-6 months after community mods make the game playable and fun on the PC I might just get it.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Bah, whatever they do, it won't make their dragons as scary and powerful as dragons in Last Remnant.

...Honestly, who thought it would be a good idea to make an enemy that:

a) can fight with 3 people at same time (same as minibosses and bosses)
b) has single-target attacks that can instantly kill a group of your heroes.
c) can also target MORE than one group of heroes at a time - if you are unlucky, it can be as many times as 4, 3 from each group he's fighting with and 1 bonus round for him.
d) gets a morale-lowering skill WAY before player gets that kind of a skill.
e) can be defeated only by having one or two powerful, physical-based groups locking him down, and three supporting from range or with buffs and heals...

That's not a challenge. Unless you grind the game like hell, you will have problems defeating even normal dragons.

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
[HEADING=2]AND RAIN BLOODY FUCKIN' DESTRUCTION ON ANYBODY WHO PISSED ME OFF![/HEADING]

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I must ride one. PLEASE BETHESDA PLEASE, YOU'RE MY FAVORITE GAME PUBLISHER/PRODUCER EVER!
*clings to CEO's pantlegs pleading while being dragged through the office*