Valve Won't Be Coming to E3

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Valve Won't Be Coming to E3

If you're waiting for information on DotA 2 or Half-Life 2: Episode 3 at this E3, we have bad news for you.

Valve has always been a company that rolls at its own pace. It makes its games on its own time, bathing in its money bin filled with bajillions of dollars in revenue from Steam, and laughs at gamers who actually think that Episode 3 is being worked on.

That own pace means that sometimes, the popular PC developer has nothing to show. That's the case with this year's E3, apparently, as Valve sent out an email to assure games journos who were trying to set up Valve appointments that there were no appointments to set up.

"[We] are not showing any titles at this year's show," said the email succinctly. "So no appointment is needed."

This means that anyone looking for information on DotA 2, more TF2 and Portal 2 updates, or whatever the hell Valve is doing with Half-Life will just have to wait a while longer. "Valve Time" strikes again!

Cpt Corallis

Apr 14, 2009
Is it wrong that I hope this is a really really clever ruse to spring a surprise on us? Please Valve? Pretty please?

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I knew Valve wouldn't attend this event, there is a 3 in the title after all. A number they dont seem to care for.

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
Didn't they promise a big surprise this June? This was their big surprise?

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Three, two one GO! *slams head on desk*

Anyway, as irritating as this is, it's not really surprising. Take your time Valve, we need a game to replace Duke Nukem Forever in development hell anyway.

The Woolly One

Nov 25, 2010
Damn, with Duke Nukem coming out soon and the Borealis in Portal 2 I really thought we may hear something about Episode 3.

Oh well, got ME3, Skyrim, Deus Ex and many more to look forward to still.

Soods

Jan 6, 2010
DAMN! I was so sure this would be the year when they'd announce episode 3 with it's release date :/

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
*Cue rage from Half-Life fanboys*

Couldn't they have at least made an announcement that 50 more superflous hats will be added to TF2 or something?

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Not really surprised, as far as anyone knows right now, they really dont have anything coming out relatively soon.

So its either a case of its logical for them not to, or a case of.. Valve has been getting a big head lately.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
I have a bet with a friend. He says they'll announce episode 3 at E3, I say "hell no they won't".

So far it's looking like I'll win, as expected :p I don't believe this game is ever coming out. Oh well, so long as they get around to a proper 3rd installment I'm fine. I think they consider it a mistake to pursue the episode format for Half Life to be honest. It didn't exactly turn out the way they expected...

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
so i guess we'll have to get a mob together and bust into there HQ to find out what the heck there working on now

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
wooty said:
I knew Valve wouldn't attend this event, there is a 3 in the title after all. A number they dont seem to care for.
This made me laugh quite hard.

Too bad for fans, but I can understand. Why show up, get people's hopes up and then ramble to consumers about what is possibly coming maybe in the distant future?

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Here's whats going to happen:

Valve is going to release Half Life Episode 3 as a game called Half-Life Forever.
They will then spend the next 10 years working on it.

In 2019, the company will go bankrupt from trying to get the game finished.
In 2020, the game will be picked up by a separate developer by the name Gearbox.
They will finish it by June 13th, 2021.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Please, for the love of all that is good and decent in the world, let this be a clever ruse...

Oh who am I kidding. Randy Pitchford is going to wind up completing the Half-Life series as well, isn't he?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
At least they're honest. I really don't know why everyone is hung up on Episode 3, I get HL2 left off on a really bad note to leave fans on but if it comes out it comes out just sit back and enjoy ...well I'd say another newer shooter but yeah can't say many are on par....How about just Timesplitters then.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
I don't understand why Valve can't just say where they are in the development cycle and then give us an ETA on when it will be arriving with the warning that it is subject to change. GIVE US A LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, I DON'T CARE IF IT IS FALSE!!

I mean seriously take the Mass Effect trilogy for example, it began way after Half Life 2(hell after episode 1 even) came out and will be completed before episode 3 has a screenshot released. Yes the quality is of Valve games are undeniable but I see no reason why we can't even get a damn screenshot!

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Aw man! Newell's appearance at last year's Sony press conference was one of the highlights of e3. I was hoping for something similar, but I guess not.