Valve Won't Be Coming to E3

Aug 25, 2009
Hahaa, coulda called it.

I made my decision a long time ago, no game is worth the wait Valve makes their customers sit through. Mass Effect 2 was by no means perfect and in some ways even lesser than its predecessor but it was one of the best games of that year, a strong contender for my personal best games ever list and it came out a little over two years after the original.

Half Life's episodic gaming, as Yahtzee pointed out three years ago, was supposed to make it so that good quality updates came faster, but they've taken longer than BioWare to put out a game that had about half the content or less. The engine's already there and in place, and three years for one writing project? I'm a writer and I actually have a concept of deadlines and writing to them.

At this point they're just relying on old games which aren't as good as everyone says they are to let them jerk their fans around. It is utterly beyond me why Valve are the only developers who still get a free ride from almost everyone. Though it is nice more recently to see some of the tide turning more and more against them with every delay.

Gee, I seem to remember that happening fourteen years ago with another big up and coming shooter that was a sequel to an established name. What was it called again...

Nov 7, 2009
I think I'm the only Valve fanboy in the world who isn't bothered in the slightest by Episode 3. I haven't even finished Episode 1.

Besides, Valve work on their own time and the results are always amazing, so, y'know, I don't care. :D

PixelKing

Moderately confused.
Sep 4, 2009
MelasZepheos said:
Hahaa, coulda called it.

I made my decision a long time ago, no game is worth the wait Valve makes their customers sit through. Mass Effect 2 was by no means perfect and in some ways even lesser than its predecessor but it was one of the best games of that year, a strong contender for my personal best games ever list and it came out a little over two years after the original.

Half Life's episodic gaming, as Yahtzee pointed out three years ago, was supposed to make it so that good quality updates came faster, but they've taken longer than BioWare to put out a game that had about half the content or less. The engine's already there and in place, and three years for one writing project? I'm a writer and I actually have a concept of deadlines and writing to them.

At this point they're just relying on old games which aren't as good as everyone says they are to let them jerk their fans around. It is utterly beyond me why Valve are the only developers who still get a free ride from almost everyone. Though it is nice more recently to see some of the tide turning more and more against them with every delay.

Gee, I seem to remember that happening fourteen years ago with another big up and coming shooter that was a sequel to an established name. What was it called again...
Nuke Dukem Fornever?

OT:But...but... /cry.

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
Let them work on their games and do it right instead of trying to rush something that ends up sucking. I can wait until they are ready.

bomblord

Mar 16, 2011
Dear game developers don't leave a game on what's basically a cliffhanger and then wait over 5 years to release the next one

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
Jack Macaque said:
Probably too busy counting money and being douchy.

Seriously, wtf valve
I'm starting to feel the same way. I love the Valve of old, but lately, they seem different...

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
MelasZepheos said:
At this point they're just relying on old games which aren't as good as everyone says they are to let them jerk their fans around..
I'm sorry... what? You do understand that people here are complaining because Valve isn't releasing a sequel to an older game? How is that relying on old games? Valve never says a word about Half Life these days, all the hype is created by the fans themselves.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
wooty said:
I knew Valve wouldn't attend this event, there is a 3 in the title after all. A number they dont seem to care for.
At least they're better at it that Capcom is...

It took Capcom 15+ years to learn how to count to three.

I still think SFIV is just SF 2.5 though...

ajemas

Nov 19, 2009
FUCK.
FUCK EVERYTHING.
Jesus, what's Valve doing? I mean, I have no problem waiting for their games. They do an absolutely amazing job with all of them, even though it takes more time. But please, just tell us SOMETHING.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
MelasZepheos said:
Hahaa, coulda called it.

Valve releases games all the time. In the last 4 years they released TF2, Portal, Portal 2, L4D, L4D2, HL2 EP. 2, Alien Swarm, as well as major updates for all of those games except HL2EP2. They're going to release Dota 2 this year as well.

It IS true that they're spending a long time on Half Life. Valve doesn't force their employees to meet deadlines or work on particular games. It's very possible that not enough people have wanted to work on the game to get it into completion. It's also possible that they're making a full length sequel and just have extremely high standards for it. But the idea that they aren't productive is laughably ridiculous.

cystemic

Jan 14, 2009
i think there should be a limit to how awesome and how much of an as*h%$# you can be, i mean seriously valve? nothing at all after a year? that's just lazy.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
cystemic said:
i think there should be a limit to how awesome and how much of an as*h%$# you can be, i mean seriously valve? nothing at all after a year? that's just lazy.
Errr... they just released Portal 2...

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well, that's a bit sad, but Valve can afford making stuff on it's own pacing. And surely enough, the games made will be great.
So, yeah. Still waiting for Episode 3 or HL3, Valve. Just sayin'.
Pretty please?

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
I get it that they're trying to build tons of hype so that more people will foam at the mouth once a new game is released, but c'mon Valve. All this wait with zero info is like giving us the metaphorical finger.