Final Fantasy Tactics Finally Hits iOS in June/July

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Final Fantasy Tactics Finally Hits iOS in June/July

You'll be able to take Ramza and the rest of the crew from Square-Enix's legendary PS1 strategy JRPG with you on the road come the end of June. Or maybe July.

Regardless of how you feel about Square-Enix's more recent JRPG offerings, the company was a legend back in the days of the PS1. From FF7 and Xenogears to Chrono Cross and Vagrant Story, it was a good time to be a JRPG fan. One of the most beloved of all of then-Squaresoft's PS1 titles was Final Fantasy Tactics, a tactical JRPG set in the kingdom of Ivalice where political intrigue and warfare reigned supreme, and nobody had any noses.

We'd known about an iOS port of Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions for some time now - on its Downloadable Games Facebook page [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106299-Secret-of-Mana-Remake-Hitting-iOS-Tonight] regarding its release date.

As it turns out, the game is missing its planned launch window of Spring 2011. The iPhone version of the game is expected to hit devices in late June or early/mid July, and the iPad version will follow a ways behind. The delay on the iPad version, by the way, is to redo some of the more pixelated art to take advantage of the larger screen's higher resolution.

So there you have it. If you've never played Final Fantasy Tactics and like strategy RPGs, you really ought to consider getting this one if you have an iPad or iPhone. Just don't try an all-Calculator single-class run; I hear those are absolute murder.

(Via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/18/final-fantasy-tactics-coming-to-iphone-in-late-june-mid-july-ip/])

Horadrius

May 14, 2009
Awesome news! I also hope they do something to fix the graphical lag and slowdown which plagued the PSP version (not that the PSP version was bad, it just stood out amidst all the great updates to the original game).

laserwulf

Dec 30, 2007
Cool. I hope this does well in the App Store, alongside such classics as Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja. I'd buy more games for my smartphone & tablet and pay more for them if there were more at the same level of depth/quality/content as a DS or PSP game. It seems like early success with $.99 App Store games has set the bar so low that few developers feel like bothering with 'meatier' games, and the average iPhone user doesn't think a worthwhile game should cost more than a latte.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
blaaaaarg, All the full on next gen releases of games I want are on bloody portables. Not that they are bad, but really I give you the option of Final Fantasy Tactics on xbox 360 and PS3 or FFT for your Iphone which do you choose?

If you pick mobile just back away from the gaming and let devs go back to full games.

It is what is so I guess Ill get it to sooth my hankering since FFTA2 and my rage of no new game plus or continued adventure.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Considering how piss poor the port was to the PSP I'm passing. I have no idea how people like that version. It was the worst port I played since Sonic "Genesis" on the GBA.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Percutio said:
Snotnarok said:
Considering how piss poor the port was to the PSP I'm passing. I have no idea how people like that version. It was the worst port I played since Sonic "Genesis" on the GBA.
I thought it was pretty good, even the online.
Have you played the original? You might not have noticed the slowdown that's in every single skill that isn't a straight forward attack. It makes every move take 2x longer.

Also, this might be me being picky but the music was also 'damaged' instruments wouldn't fade out they'd just stop and whatever. I loved the sound track so I was really listening in.

ManInRed

May 16, 2010
The original Final Fantasy Tactics is simple one of the best tactics games out there. The PSP port fixed the incorrect English translations while making in sound like Shakespeare, added multi-playing verus mode, a couple of job classes, and a few extra unique classed characters and missions. Basically, everything you could have possibly asked for a game that wasn't missing much. It will be interesting to see what version the iOS port gets.

I have bought this game no less than 7 times, twice being for the PSP. Copies I own seem to be cursed, but the fact that I still quickly replace it, because I still want to replay the game even after all these years just shows how good it is.

Looks like that iPad of yours just got useful.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
Matt_LRR said:
I CANNOT BUY THIS HARD ENOUGH.

-m
I totally agree.

Though deep down inside I'm just hoping that they fix all the lag issues that were present in War of the Lions on the PSP. When it's so bad that you go out of your way to do everything to avoid heavy-pixel spells and abilities (especially the summons) it's definitely way out there.

I couldn't even use Monk's "Chakra" ability without having time to go get a coffee.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Percutio said:
Snotnarok said:
Percutio said:
Snotnarok said:
Have you played the original? You might not have noticed the slowdown that's in every single skill that isn't a straight forward attack. It makes every move take 2x longer.

Also, this might be me being picky but the music was also 'damaged' instruments wouldn't fade out they'd just stop and whatever. I loved the sound track so I was really listening in.
The slow down was in the original about the same. I do think they could have tried to optimize it more, but at least the translations were better (still not great).

I never had buggy sound at all.

The slowdown was not in the original, it was Square or whoever they hired doing a piss poor job. The music is hard to catch, easiest when you're setting up your team for battle, the gong just stops going rather than fading. Happens to other songs randomly.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Percutio said:
Snotnarok said:
Percutio said:
Snotnarok said:
Percutio said:
Snotnarok said:

The slow down was in the original about the same. I do think they could have tried to optimize it more, but at least the translations were better (still not great).

I never had buggy sound at all.

The slowdown was not in the original, it was Square or whoever they hired doing a piss poor job. The music is hard to catch, easiest when you're setting up your team for battle, the gong just stops going rather than fading. Happens to other songs randomly.
That video weirded me out. It says PS1 video but there is a PSP frame when it happens...

Anyways I still play the original on a ps2 and it is at least the same there.
The one he shows first is the PSN (PSOne Classics) because for some reason that has no slowdown, but the PSP War of the Lions does. Probably some weird compatibility issue, same I had with BoF4 on anything but the PSOne it bugged out.

Emmanuel Ruvalcaba

Apr 3, 2011
If you go to the actual post you can see what they mean. the PS1 version is the downloaded PS1 version from Playstation network. the PSP version is the reboot psp version with supposed "upgrades"