Rumor: 3D-Capable Xbox 360 Debuting at E3

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Rumor: 3D-Capable Xbox 360 Debuting at E3

Word on the street is that Microsoft will be giving its Xbox 360 an upgrade to the third dimension this E3.

With just two weeks to go before E3 kicks off in Los Angeles, expect the usual rumor mill to start blazing up right about ... now, really. Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-23-full-stereoscopic-3d-hitting-xbox-360] is reporting that Microsoft is set deliver an upgrade for its Xbox 360 capable of displaying stereoscopic 3D in a manner identical to rival Sony's PS3.

For the tech-heads in our audience, that means that the Xbox 360 will be displaying "full-on HDMI 1.4 stereoscopic 3D in the 1280x1470 twin 720p framebuffer configuration," delivering a 720p image to each eye to simulate depth. The stereoscopic 3D functionality will supposedly be patched into the console via a firmware update, as was the case with the PS3.

"They'd be mad not to do it, is all I can say," said the Eurogamer source, who is reportedly familiar with Xbox 360 development. "The machine is not only very capable, it's more capable than the PlayStation 3 of doing stereo ... assuming you have a HDMI Xbox."

The source also hinted that the new 3D would be revealed two weeks from now in Los Angeles. "E3 is coming up ... Microsoft is going to have to go on stage to say something, aren't they?"

While the debate still rages on whether 3D gaming (and 3D movies and TV, for that matter) is a genuine upgrade for videogames or a short-lived fad, it's one area where Sony's PS3 handily outstrips Microsoft's Xbox 360 - on account of it being able to display stereoscopic 3D while the 360 cannot, naturally.

Last year, Microsoft's Aaron Greenberg told VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/06/23/interview-microsofts-aaron-greenberg/] that the 360 already had the hardware to display 3D, but Microsoft wasn't going to force consumer demand. "The capability is there. The question is whether or not the consumer demand is there. That's the unanswered question. We're not a consumer electronics company that's trying to sell 3DTVs, so we have the benefit of waiting until the market responds."

From this, one can only assume that Microsoft has judged that the consumer demand is, in fact, there. That is, of course, assuming the rumor pans out - Microsoft has refused to comment, and we won't know for sure until E3 in June.

Maybe you'll be able to take 3D pictures of yourself with the Kinect. Who knows?

(Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-23-full-stereoscopic-3d-hitting-xbox-360])

Cpt Corallis

Apr 14, 2009
So does this mean another new model? Like last year? Or is this going to be a purely firmware affair?

logiman

Aug 8, 2008
So, no Xbox 720 then?
What do i care? I`m a pc gamer lolololololololololololololol
*and spend alot more money on the same stuff for some extra resolution and less awesome titles >_>

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
Eh, no appeal in 3D really. Pretty sure I need a nice fancy TV for that and I don't feel like dropping a few thousand dollars on that and then the Xbox that'd be capable of that.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
So this means I get to buy a new xbox 360 thingy? And I get to buy a new TV that can view 3D? How can I lose? Good thing I am going to win the lottery next time.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Well, if this turns out to be true, all 3 companies are hopping on the 3D gimmick train. Thankfully, the updates are free for 360 and PS3, and I get to just ignore this crap and stick with my normal TV.

Cpt Corallis said:
So does this mean another new model? Like last year? Or is this going to be a purely firmware affair?
If only there was something in the first post that would explain in more detail... Like, say, a news article. If we had one of those to get such information from, life would be so much easier. Too bad we don't have one of those, huh?

XcessGAMR

Dec 20, 2007
I'm assuming this firmware update applies just to the home screen or something? Black Ops and Crysis have both had the option of playing in 3D since release so yeah...

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Doesn't something actually have to catch on in the first place for it to be a 'fad' - as far as I can tell pretty much no one is investing in 3D TVs.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
I personally don't mind this, if the 3D is used in the right way *chuckles* it could be very engaging, and could make the game more immersive.

Wonder if this is true, or will the 3D be in the new next Xbox?

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Meh. 3D. So bored of all this hype now and cant wait till it drops off the bandwagon again to be honest.

More interested to see what Nintendo pull out the hat at E3.

Yvl9921

Our Sweet Prince
Apr 4, 2009
This is going to have console exclusive titles, isn't it? I'm right, aren't I?

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Yeah, Nintendo has Sony and Microsoft by the balls right now. Their success with the Wii and their stream of one big announcement after another at each E3 for the last four years has been forcing the bigger consoles and companies to play catch up. Microsoft now has been forced to hastily throw together an 3D Xbox to try to get some attention compared to Nintendo's reveal of a NEW CONSOLE.

blurredplacebo

something should go in here
Jan 25, 2010
There was some letterbox spam for a major chain here in Australia called JB HiFi and they had the a 360 in there that said it was 3d ready have a look here

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/games/microsoft/x-box/360/

it looks pretty well much confirmed from here

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Not a life changing difference. Thanks MS, I like my 360 Slim as it is.