Listening to AC/DC Makes Great White Sharks Calmer

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Listening to AC/DC Makes Great White Sharks Calmer

Jaws could have been averted entirely if the humans had just had an extra copy of "Back in Black."

Great White Sharks have a special place in human consciousness - they're mysterious, enigmatic creatures that also scare the bejeezus out of us, what with being one of the most lethally-designed predators in all of history. They may not attack humans nearly as much as some people believe, but they're still potentially terrifying killing machines. Oh, and they really love Australian hard rock band AC/DC.

Wait, what?

Matt Waller, a charter boat operator in South Australia's Neptune Bay, found that blasting AC/DC underwater made the area's Great Whites far less threatening than they normally were. When Waller played ABC [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZGft719Zls].

"[They] actually came past in a couple of occasions when we had the speaker in the water and rubbed their face along the speaker which was really bizarre."

Waller says he was inspired to try his heavy-metal solution after speaking with some divers who told him that they played music underwater to change the sharks' behavior in the hopes of not becoming a Great White's next meal. Waller experimented with his albums, and found that AC/DC was a hit with the apex predator.

But why? As Waller told Australian Geographic, sharks "don't have ears, they don't have long hair, and they don't head bang past the cage doing the air guitar." Even if they can't hear the sounds, says Waller, they can feel the vibrations - and AC/DC's hard rock produces a lot of very low vibrations.

He intends to play a variety of songs and albums in hoping to identify common characteristics that produce the same effect on sharks. Not only could this help us understand sharks better, says Waller, he also thinks it has a practical benefit: Cage-diving companies could use music to reduce danger instead of shark bait as a more economical and environmentally friendly alternative.

Next, Waller plans on trying out some Zeppelin, but his kids think the sharks will like the White Stripes and Wolfmother more. I'm going to just throw my vote in for Judas Priest and see where it gets us.

(Time [http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/journal/great-white-sharks-attracted-to-acdc.htm])

(Image [http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/journal/great-white-sharks-attracted-to-acdc.htm])

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
WHOA WHOA WHOA, am I the only one more surprised that AC/DC is Australian, rather then the stugg about the sharks.

Nedoras

Jan 8, 2010
John Funk said:

"they don't head bang past the cage doing the air guitar."

That produced an awesome yet very ridiculous image in my mind :p
Anyway, that's pretty interesting. It seems as though music soothes the beast's soul....or at least just distracts it quite a bit.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
John Funk said:
He intends to play a variety of songs and albums in hoping to identify common characteristics that produce the same effect on sharks. Not only could this help us understand sharks better, says Waller, he also thinks it has a practical benefit: Cage-diving companies could use music to reduce danger instead of shark bait as a more economical and environmentally friendly alternative.
Maybe not...I mean it's cool that Great White Sharks seem to be into AC/DC but what about other types of Shark? Maybe they're more into Hendrix? Not to mention non-shark species like Whales who I see as being into smooth jazz or, Dolphins who would likely be into jock-rock. Not to mention the squids, octopus and, cuddlefish who are all likely into the most satanic of Death-Metal and will take this newfound musical assault as the final straw before they awaken their big brother Cthulhu.

Hey, it could happen. Either way it's another reason for me to spend all my money on lotto tickets, hoping to win big so I can buy a pet shark of my own and mess with it by playing it all different kinds of music.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
necromanzer52 said:
zombie711 said:
WHOA WHOA WHOA, am I the only one more surprised that AC/DC is Australian, rather then the stugg about the sharks.
I thought they were scottish.
The Young brothers (Angus and Malcolm) were born in Scotland, but moved to Australia at a young age with their parents (I think Angus was around 8 at the time and Malcolm was 10), and have lived in Australia since then.

MadCapMunchkin

Charismatic Stallion
Apr 23, 2010
This is made of win. Without question, the most amazingly awesome thing I have read all year.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
John Funk said:
I'm going to just throw my vote in for Judas Priest and see where it gets us.
Now, as much as I love Judas Priest, I think we can go much lower than that. Especially if you delve into the realms of the more "extreme Metal". How would they react to Cannibal Corpse? No wait!
Come on, it was written for underwater creatures. It's perfect.

OT: Yeah, that's awesome. Seriously awesome.I play Heavy Metal to my cat sometimes, it goes hyper, starts running around the room... Opposite effect, but I have yet to find another genre that has the same hilarious effects. We should investigate the effects of Heavy Metal on other animals. I shall undertake this research. I need a job...

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
zombie711 said:
Considering the Young brothers are from Glasgow and Brian Johnson's a Geordie, yeah I'm surprised they're considered an australian band as well.

Nice to know sharks have good taste in music, maybe that's why they eat seals, evryone knows seals like Indy.