Listening to AC/DC Makes Great White Sharks Calmer

Gerhardt

May 21, 2010
Next we'll be testing the effect of Massive Attack and Daft Punk on the Tiger Shark as well as some Phil Collins on the Northern-Frilled Lame Shark.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
John Funk said:

Oh, silly marine biologists, when will you stop pulling stunts like this for cheap headlines that draw superficial attention?

Whenever they "discover" sound causing a dramatic impact on animal behavior, it's always metal, or some other similar style of music cited as the culprit. Styles of music that tend to be moderate-to-fast and bass-heavy obviously contain more low-frequency sounds in more noticeable patterns.

A pattern that is too regular (say, a low-frequency drone. Or club music) could be disregarded as noise. A pattern that is too random might seem too confusing, and might not spark the same curiosity. A complex pattern, like the interaction of bass guitar and kick drum sounds from a rock song, often hit just the right balance.

Additionally, low-frequency sounds travel much farther. This is especially true in water. See: whale songs. What we're used to hearing of whale songs is just what they sound like when sped up (to get them into our hearing range). Elephants also use these "infrasounds," which travel for miles--this is separate from the familiar (and more readily audible) elephant trumpeting sound.

People react differently to them, as well. Instinctively, they put us in an excited state, because "deep sound" usually meant "large animal." Either a big predator or big prey. Also, a lower sound is more likely to match up with the resonant frequency of one of our sensory organs and cause some interesting stimulation (see: "ghost" sightings, etc.).

Another possible explanation, pertaining to sharks, is that this may recreate the rhythmic "hum" of large boat engines. To some of these sharks, boats mean food--either camera crews chumming/baiting them, or just smaller fish munching on the food stirred up by the boat's wake.

It's an interesting finding, though not unexpected, but they always feel the need to try to make it "relevant" by tying the result to something like rock or metal or rap. It's like when the discovery of the existence of a new planet that might be similar to Earth hits headlines as, "Life in Space: Another Earth Discovered?" or something.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
MurderousToaster said:
necromanzer52 said:
zombie711 said:
WHOA WHOA WHOA, am I the only one more surprised that AC/DC is Australian, rather then the stugg about the sharks.
I thought they were scottish.
The Young brothers (Angus and Malcolm) were born in Scotland, but moved to Australia at a young age with their parents (I think Angus was around 8 at the time and Malcolm was 10), and have lived in Australia since then.
And the same is true of the original singer, Bon Scott (who moved from Scotland to Australia at age 6). However, when Bon Scott died, he was replaced by Brian Johnson, who was born and raised in England (and according to my research, now lives in Florida when not on tour!).

CplDustov

May 7, 2009
necromanzer52 said:
zombie711 said:
WHOA WHOA WHOA, am I the only one more surprised that AC/DC is Australian, rather then the stugg about the sharks.
I thought they were from the States. I guess the D.C. bit just stopped me remembering to question it.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Dastardly said:
John Funk said:

Oh, silly marine biologists, when will you stop pulling stunts like this for cheap headlines that draw superficial attention?

Whenever they "discover" sound causing a dramatic impact on animal behavior, it's always metal, or some other similar style of music cited as the culprit. Styles of music that tend to be moderate-to-fast and bass-heavy obviously contain more low-frequency sounds in more noticeable patterns.

A pattern that is too regular (say, a low-frequency drone. Or club music) could be disregarded as noise. A pattern that is too random might seem too confusing, and might not spark the same curiosity. A complex pattern, like the interaction of bass guitar and kick drum sounds from a rock song, often hit just the right balance.

Additionally, low-frequency sounds travel much farther. This is especially true in water. See: whale songs. What we're used to hearing of whale songs is just what they sound like when sped up (to get them into our hearing range). Elephants also use these "infrasounds," which travel for miles--this is separate from the familiar (and more readily audible) elephant trumpeting sound.

People react differently to them, as well. Instinctively, they put us in an excited state, because "deep sound" usually meant "large animal." Either a big predator or big prey. Also, a lower sound is more likely to match up with the resonant frequency of one of our sensory organs and cause some interesting stimulation (see: "ghost" sightings, etc.).

Another possible explanation, pertaining to sharks, is that this may recreate the rhythmic "hum" of large boat engines. To some of these sharks, boats mean food--either camera crews chumming/baiting them, or just smaller fish munching on the food stirred up by the boat's wake.

It's an interesting finding, though not unexpected, but they always feel the need to try to make it "relevant" by tying the result to something like rock or metal or rap. It's like when the discovery of the existence of a new planet that might be similar to Earth hits headlines as, "Life in Space: Another Earth Discovered?" or something.
In all fairness, this isn't a marine biologist. It's a guy who runs a charter boat tour group. So there's less science involved.

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
CplDustov said:
necromanzer52 said:
zombie711 said:
I thought they were from the States. I guess the D.C. bit just stopped me remembering to question it.
You do know it's short for alternating current direct current?

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
AC/DC is loved by great white sharks. Just proves the badassness of the bands music.

CplDustov

May 7, 2009
necromanzer52 said:
CplDustov said:
necromanzer52 said:
zombie711 said:
You do know it's short for alternating current direct current?
Yup. Making it a very clever pun if they were from Washington DC. It wasn't going to make any sense to me otherwise.

EDIT: Spelling correction

Duskflamer

Nov 8, 2009
umm, we "hear" things by interpreting vibrations. Just because sharks don't have ears doesn't mean they aren't "hearing" the vibrations in a similar way.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
John Funk said:
In all fairness, this isn't a marine biologist. It's a guy who runs a charter boat tour group. So there's less science involved.
That's fair. In this case, it must be the folks at Australian Geographic. It just turns the whole thing into a fluff piece... which I guess is probably what it was meant to be. But geez, y'know? Science isn't that hard.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
Kevlar Eater said:
It would be really funny if Bieber songs made those sharks more aggressive.
lol my thoughts exactly

I wonder what sharks think of daft punk?

The Night Shade

Oct 15, 2009
Pal,you have just make my day seriously this is freaking awesome.If AC/DC is liked by white sharks it proves that they are badass

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Kevlar Eater said:
It would be really funny if Bieber songs made those sharks more aggressive.
Pop music inherently uses higher sound pitches anyways, so that's exactly what it would do (unless it just didn't have an effect at all).