Microsoft Planning Interactive In-Game Ads for Kinect

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Microsoft Planning Interactive In-Game Ads for Kinect

Microsoft looks to be planning some sort of interactive advertising service for Kinect [http://www.amazon.com/Kinect-Sensor-Adventures-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA298/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1307980339&sr=8-2] that will let players engage with third-party ads while they play their games.

"Punch this monkey in the junk and win a free iPod!" We've all seen those ads flash across our screens at one time or another, promising great rewards for accomplishing feats of skill that the average three-year-old could pull off with one hand while she watches Dora [http://www.amazon.com/Dora-Explorer-Explore-Greatest-Adventures/dp/B002VJ05DU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1307980443&sr=8-4]. Now it looks as though the next generation of such advertising is on the way and it even has its very own sexy name: NUADS.

NUADS, according to a U.S. trademark filing made by Microsoft last week, is "Advertising services, namely, promoting and marketing the goods and services of others through online interactive video games by enabling consumers to interact with third-party advertising content through voice or body gestures via computer game console and sensor devices."

Not a whole lot of detail there but it sounds more or less like Microsoft is trying to cook up a way to make in-game advertising more effective, palatable or perhaps just outright unavoidable by integrating it into the Kinect's motion and voice-sensing functionality. Whatever it is, it's hard not to think that the final result will be essentially the same monkey-junk-punching nonsense we've seen for years on the web with the added excitement of idiotic arm-flailing.

Boy, I can't wait.

Source: TechCrunch [http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/13/microsoft-nuads-engage-with-xbox-kinect-game-ads-through-voice-gestures/]

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
Don't we already pay out the ass for this generation of content? Why the hell do we need ads in gaming? It isn't like the advertising revenue they gain helps the bottom line for the customers. We just end up with more $10 DLC packs with nothing in them that wasn't already on the disc....

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Will let players...? Who doesn't find these ads annoying as fuck? I don't mind advertising in games, as long as it fits. Sports games, hell yeah they should have advertising as it makes perfect sense.

Whatever, I'll probably never get a kinect anyway.

snowfi6916

Nov 22, 2010
Yeah just what I want...to be playing Skyrim and see ads for another game right in the middle of my screen.

Ads that are available from the start screen are fine...but don't f**k up my game. That is all.

Snowy Rainbow

Jun 13, 2011
koroem said:
Don't we already pay out the ass for this generation of content? Why the hell do we need ads in gaming? It isn't like the advertising revenue they gain helps the bottom line for the customers. We just end up with more $10 DLC packs with nothing in them that wasn't already on the disc....
Being a consumer is a difficult balance. Let's hope it tips in our favour here.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
This is getting ridiculous, I don't mind the odd product placement in game where it would make sense but this would be invasive and annoying. We already pay through the nose for the game I think that more than qualifies us as having the right to play our games without bullshit ads popping up mid-play. Ladies and gentlemen, one more reason not to invest in the Kinect.

It would be almost as bad as in the Super Mario Bros movie where they stuck the Reebok logo on the bottom of a bob-ombs foot.

Olorune

Jan 16, 2009
I'm just gonna start screaming "KINEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECCCCCCCCCCCCCTTTTTTTTTTT!" like it's Kahn.

Kinect makes my blood boil like it's in a pot over 1 million suns. There isn't enough space in this text box to properly describe my hate for it. I don't think there's enough space anywhere...

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Touch yourself for the camera and get a free coke. C'mon...no one is looking. Be dirty for me.

CAPTCHA: funding doesems

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Why is it that companies are doing the exact opposite of Google. They made themselves filthy rich without throwing ads in our faces. Seems like other companies should in some way try to mimic this.... not go the opposite direction and bog down things we buy with more ads. I hate them, and from here on out, will never buy something I see an ad for EVAR again!

Jun 11, 2008
The only place I think it might be acceptable to put ads in games is when you are waiting to connect to a server. Although that would just slow loading times and etc so probably not so good.

LostNumber

Jul 17, 2009
"The Reapers are attacking that orphanage! What should we do, Shepard?

- [Save the children]
- [Burn down the orphanage]
- [Relax with a refreshing Coca-Cola, available at a conviniance store near you!]