Riot Compensates League of Legends Players for DDoS Attacks

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Riot Compensates League of Legends Players for DDoS Attacks

If you're European and play League of Legends, Riot wants to give you something for putting up with recent DDoS attacks.

League of Legends can be a very complex game where victory and defeat both stand on a razor's edge, and a player lagging or disconnecting at a bad time can make all the difference in the world. The game's servers have been coming under heavy DDoS attacks in recent weeks, resulting in sub-optimal performance and the president of Riot's EU division took to the forums to apologize [http://eu.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=262065].

"League of Legends has grown from an idea to a worldwide phenomenon at a pace that's both thrilling and humbling," wrote Riot's Tryndamere. "Our player base is now several million strong and spans over a dozen countries. Unfortunately, this has garnered us some extra attention from cyber bullies." He acknowledged that this had been "detrimental" to the gaming experience of those affected, and said that Riot wanted to make it up to its players.

To offer recompense, he said, Riot would be giving 550 Riot Points (the game's microtransaction-based currency - about $4) to every player who had logged in from June 1st to June 23rd. Players would also be granted "Leaver Amnesty" if they disconnected from any games going back to the 1st - that is, they can't be penalized for disconnecting, if it wasn't their fault. (League of Legends takes people bailing on games very, very seriously).

This is very cool of Riot to do, and all the more so because League of Legends is a free to play game. Some players do spend money on champions and special skins, but many don't - and Riot essentially just handed all of them a free $4 for service below what it hoped to deliver.

If only every online company could handle service troubles so gracefully. Now, how about giving those 550 RP to North American players, eh? With that, I'd have enough to buy the Brolaf skin [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnVLWKsO6CQ]!

(League of Legends [http://eu.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=262065] - thanks to WolfLordAndy for the tip!)

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Good. those queues of 1-3 hours and then being told the server is busy and the damn game closes on you were a pain.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I never could get into League of Legends, the matches just took way too long for me and all the champions were overwhelming. Ended up sticking to one guy and by then it was just an exercise in tedium of attacking, then retreating, then attacking, then retreating, and then dieing (mostly dieing). I got the feeling that I wasn't playing the game right, you know? Like, I wasn't buying the right upgrades or using the right strategy for anything I did.

Still, this is pretty cool of Riot to do. Shows that they really are dedicated to their players, which is always a good thing for developers and their community.

NicoDK

Sep 21, 2009
No news post about the compensation HoN players got for the down time?
It really feels like you try your hardest to never mention HoN on here.

Murmur95

Sep 18, 2008
NA server did give out points a while ago for bad service on their part but only gave out 500 RP. Now a 50 RP difference does not look like much but the cheapest skins are 520 meaning you could not buy anything that was not on sale.

I would like to applaud EU for not doing that again.

Hristo Tzonkov

Apr 5, 2010
Nouw said:
Hey that's actually pretty nice of them!
Indeed it is.I like my free games showering me with gifts.It might also be a good time to play some games if the servers are up and running normally.

Also dude I'd like to ask you where that Avatar is from.Like title of anime/cartoon.

Runsta

Apr 6, 2010
NicoDK said:
Riot's superior marketing budget at work. Besides, Riot is a big enough studio with enough of a fanbase that Escapist can cover it, call it "indie game reporting" and still get an increase in traffic.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
NicoDK said:
News Submissions [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/contact/subject/news]. There are a finite number of people on the news staff, and we don't see everything. If there is something you think is newsworthy, *send it in.* The difference between this story and that story? Is that someone sent a tip in for this, and didn't for that.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
HoN did the same thing recently with 2k silver coins and all shop items unlocked for a week along with amnesty and item retrieval.

Both games have been DDoS'd for a while now, probably by the same guys. Been a pain in the ass to get my DotA fix considering I uninstalled WC3 a while ago.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
NicoDK said:
As you can see, this news story came as a tip. If you'd like us to know more about HoN, send tips to [email protected]. :)

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Considering there is no real way to stop a DDoS attack besides having Google sized server farms, giving away free money is pretty cool. Maybe they'll convince people to spend some of their own money too.

Xorph

Aug 24, 2010
Dang, i wish I actually played this game a bit more often. Now i do get my free monies because I haven't been on in a month q.q

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
Yay now I can buy a character on sale or a skin on sale (Hoping for Fiddle ME Timbers or Grim Reapr Karthus)

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Brolaf is the best. Reckless swing up yo ass, but you'll like it because you love the way I lie.

Anyway, I haven't played since May 30th. Sucks to be me.

Cenequus

Jan 31, 2011
NicoDK said:
There's a little difference btwn giving 4 euro to like 10k people and giving 4 euro to around 1.5 milion people.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
1. 550 RP is about 5$ in a currency they can generate at a press of a button.
2. they STILL havent released the RP yet.
3. the RP serves to shut people up until they can fix their servers... which, knowing Riot, will take them at least a month.