Riot Compensates League of Legends Players for DDoS Attacks

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Jumplion said:
I never could get into League of Legends, the matches just took way too long for me and all the champions were overwhelming. Ended up sticking to one guy and by then it was just an exercise in tedium of attacking, then retreating, then attacking, then retreating, and then dieing (mostly dieing). I got the feeling that I wasn't playing the game right, you know? Like, I wasn't buying the right upgrades or using the right strategy for anything I did.

Still, this is pretty cool of Riot to do. Shows that they really are dedicated to their players, which is always a good thing for developers and their community.
League of Legends takes time to get used to. Focusing on one champion works and its a good way to learn that champion. Going to a new champion can sometimes be a bit difficult, but over time you'll notice it won't be so bad.

As for game length, you think LoL games are long? Go play DoTA... :3

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Ooooh. I hope North America gets some RP.

I'd love to take advantage of that half price Anivia deal :D

hudsonzero

what I thought I'd do was,
Aug 4, 2009
Thank you CGZ, if i hadn't gone to my local lan center 2 weeks ago with my friends i would not get this.

Dyme

Nov 18, 2009
No.
The server instability isn't because of DDoS-attacks.

It is true that their Login-Servers and Website got DDoS'ed. But blaming their whole fucking bullshit server underperformance in Europe on those DDoS-attacks is weak.
Their servers are having problems since months (in Europe).

They just don't have enough servers/don't manage them correctly. Tuesday I tried to log in at 2am, but there was a 30 minute queue.
I would much rather actually have the possibility to play than some retarded IP-Boost or RP-gift that I won't be able to use because their servers are bad.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
Dyme said:
No.
The server instability isn't because of DDoS-attacks.

It is true that their Login-Servers and Website got DDoS'ed. But blaming their whole fucking bullshit server underperformance in Europe on those DDoS-attacks is weak.
Their servers are having problems since months (in Europe).

They just don't have enough servers/don't manage them correctly. Tuesday I tried to log in at 2am, but there was a 30 minute queue.
I would much rather actually have the possibility to play than some retarded IP-Boost or RP-gift that I won't be able to use because their servers are bad.
I can actually attest to it not being a DDoS attack problem that is putting the servers down. Hell I was in the middle of a game when Lulzsect DDoSed the game me and 2 other teammates DCed by friend and 1 other teammate didn't and ended up losing. The servers have been laggy since before the DDoS attack. There was a message about there being server maintanence two days ago in 90 minutes so I was like hey i can get 1 game in. Then after I got out of the game a new message popped up saying NO MAINTENANCE FOR NORTH AMERICA. If it was a problem with DDoS attacks then all the servers would need maintenance not just the Europe one.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
I read the title as meaning there was a riot, and this made up for the attacks. Yeah, I know nothing about this game.

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
Riot does something similar every time there's a downtime (due to patching or whatever), but they give free IP boosts (doubled in-game currency gain)

I haven't been playing LoL too much recently because of graduation and other events, but i'll be sure to be more frequent on it soon.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
Is this just for European lol players? And if they really wanted to apologize, they could've just buffed yorick early....6300 down the drain...

Blights

Feb 16, 2009
I actually am kind of glad for the DDOs' now, considering League of Legends gives free riot points, and Heroes of Newerth gave everyone free access to all skins and vanity account bindings for like a week or two, plus 2k silver coins. It's brilliant.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
Puzzlenaut said:
Why is League of Legends being attacked and by who?!
Lulzsec DDoS'd this as well.

For the lulz I be guessing.

OT: It was very good. shame a lot of the community still demand more. I think that's a bit out of order seeing as they probably don't pay for anything in the first place.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Lulzsec DDoS'd the login servers for one afternoon as part of their special, phone in requests day.

The euro servers have been shit as long as I've been playing. Riot are just using the convenient excuse of a ddos to make it look like it's not their fault.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
oh right, the developer is NAMED Riot! I had something completely different in mind when i read the title.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
NicoDK said:
No news post about the compensation HoN players got for the down time?
It really feels like you try your hardest to never mention HoN on here.
My exact sentiments. HoN has had it's ass kicked lately and has done nothing but try to compensate it's customers. Yet there is never any mention of it on here. HoN is a better game in every aspect too. This love LoL gets frustrates me.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I'd preffer if they fixed the European servers instead...

I don't know about DDoS attacks, but most of EU players just assumed the servers were just slightly more shitty than usual. On EU, there are multiple unschedueled server downtimes a week, login queues start around 15:00 GMT and last past midnight, easily reaching 1 hour in duration in prime time. US servers hardly ever have any queues, downtimes are rare and even the slightest downtime is compensated by IP boosts (IP is one of the game's two currencies). EU only recieves compensation for severe malfunctions.

Now, don't get me wrong, it's really nice of them to try to give something to the players. EU servers spent more time offline than online in the past 10 days, and the time they were online was usually accompanied by 3+ hour queues. LoL might be a free game, but the company did get pretty rich off it, to the point where Riot games got bought by a chinese company recently for a truckload on money. So the arguemnt "It's a free game, they don't have to do anything" is kinda weak in the face of the fact that the players made Riot a very sucessful company.

So it would be kinda nice of them to solve the EU server problems, which have persisted for over a year now. You know what their best solution so far is? Routing EU players to US servers, which for most players means 200+ ping. And no server upgrades in sight.

Also, I have yet to recieve my 550 RP. I'll belive it when I see it. LoL is a great game, but its management in EU is atrociously bad and is costing them players (and potential customers)...

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
NicoDK said:
No news post about the compensation HoN players got for the down time?
It really feels like you try your hardest to never mention HoN on here.
Tall poppy syndrome because HoN is awesome.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Zer_ said:
Jumplion said:
I never could get into League of Legends, the matches just took way too long for me and all the champions were overwhelming. Ended up sticking to one guy and by then it was just an exercise in tedium of attacking, then retreating, then attacking, then retreating, and then dieing (mostly dieing). I got the feeling that I wasn't playing the game right, you know? Like, I wasn't buying the right upgrades or using the right strategy for anything I did.

Still, this is pretty cool of Riot to do. Shows that they really are dedicated to their players, which is always a good thing for developers and their community.
League of Legends takes time to get used to. Focusing on one champion works and its a good way to learn that champion. Going to a new champion can sometimes be a bit difficult, but over time you'll notice it won't be so bad.

As for game length, you think LoL games are long? Go play DoTA... :3
Oy, it's a big reason why I have never truly been "in" multiplayer games general, matches take a while so that I can only really handle 2 or three in a row before being burned out.

Feb 28, 2008
Best of the 3 said:
Puzzlenaut said:
Why is League of Legends being attacked and by who?!
Lulzsec DDoS'd this as well.

For the lulz I be guessing.
Perhaps they could send a few of the lulz my way - because being unable to play a game I quite like didn't exactly put me into fits of laughter, truth be told. Oh those free-spirited pirates and their shinnanigans! /sarcasm

faceless chick

Sep 19, 2009
finally we EU players get something.

it's been mostly americans who got compensation/free stuff.
show EU some love :3