HeroClix Gets Street Fighter Expansion

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
HeroClix Gets Street Fighter Expansion

Videogame/comic nerds are about to get a dream crossover for tabletop combat.

When it comes to hobbies, it doesn't get much nerdier than HeroClix. The game combines tabletop strategy with comic book characters. That said, HeroClix is about to outdo itself, since it's just been revealed that a Street Fighter expansion is coming to stores in the near future. So, basically, this will be a combination of tabeltop strategy, comic books (which Street Fighter has had), and videogames. How delightfully nerdy is that?

The new expansion set will include both a six-figure starter pack, as well as twenty-seven other assorted Clix figures (which will be sold via single-character booster packs). According to WizKids, the starter set will actually feature unique characters for players to use: "These 6 sculpts are COMPLETELY REDIALED with ALTERNATE PAINT SCHEMES from the base Street Fighter Set. These 6 sculpts feature the impressive clear effects that make this starter kit a must have for any Street Fighter fan!"

WizKids has also promised that the system will be compatible with other HeroClix figures. The figures are due out in August, which means those of us who play (yes, I'm a proud member of said group) can finally fulfill our life-long dream of pitting M. Bison against <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Adam>Black Adam. Or, you know, any other ridiculous match-up you can think of.

Source: WizKids via <a href=http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?&t=321700>HCRealms

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Oh man, too bad I quit HeroClix like... 6 years ago. Now you can play Marvel vs Capcom with minis! XP

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
No, thanks. I've sworn off anything with the Capcom name.

I'll stick with the regular Hero Clix, Bakugan, BeyBlade, and Warhammer Fantasy.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I'd rather have Street Fighter HeroScape, but eh.

I never thought there was a big enough following for HeroClix, honestly.

GloryQuestor

Jun 25, 2011
Scrythe said:
Actually, now that HeroClix is under NECA's control, it is doing amazingly well. For example, the last set, Giant Size X-Men, sold out both at the manufacturer and the distributor about a month before release. The next superhero series, Captain America Heroclix due around August, sold out both manufacturer and distributor MONTHS before release. The quality of the clix figures since the company change-over is much higher, there's licensing and planning for other cross-expansions (they released Watchmen Heroclix earlier, but also have planned releases of Gears of War Heroclix and Lord of the Rings Heroclix), and the game rules are being constantly tweaked to provide fun gameplay.

So, if you've been out of the loop, it's definitely the time to jump back in. :)

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
It gets better...there's plans for Lord of the Rings, Gears of War, and Halo expansions in the near future as well.

One word of warning, though - they're not 100% compatible with existing figures, as Wizkids has decided for one reason or another that they won't be legal for official tournaments. Otherwise, they're all good though.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
GloryQuestor said:
Scrythe said:
Actually, now that HeroClix is under NECA's control, it is doing amazingly well. For example, the last set, Giant Size X-Men, sold out both at the manufacturer and the distributor about a month before release. The next superhero series, Captain America Heroclix due around August, sold out both manufacturer and distributor MONTHS before release. The quality of the clix figures since the company change-over is much higher, there's licensing and planning for other cross-expansions (they released Watchmen Heroclix earlier, but also have planned releases of Gears of War Heroclix and Lord of the Rings Heroclix), and the game rules are being constantly tweaked to provide fun gameplay.

So, if you've been out of the loop, it's definitely the time to jump back in. :)
Seriously. I'm moving back to the San Francisco Bay Area soon and will need new Clix buddies. *hint hint*

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Wow, I thought that game went under ages ago.

I wonder how hard it would be to get just Vega and Cammy...

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Aris Khandr said:
Well, it kind of did. Somebody at NECA decided to pick up the license and bring it back.

Aris Khandr said:

I wonder how hard it would be to get just Vega and Cammy...
Until it's out, it's going to be pretty hard to know. If they're both relatively common, I imagine the most expensive part is going to be shipping. Hopefully it won't turn into another Crisis Superman, or Brave and the Bold Black Lantern collection.

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
I never played HeroClix but I did play Mage Knight back in the day (first Clix, so old they weren't even called Clix yet).

This does look nice but I think I've [put mty tabletop gaming days behind me now in favour of pure digital saturation. Mmmm, digital

RandallJohn

Aug 21, 2010
This sounds pretty awesome. Now to find a gaming group in cleveland...

vansau said:
When it comes to hobbies, it doesn't get much nerdier than HeroClix.
*cough40Kcough*

TheBlueRabbit

Ballistic Comedian
Jan 9, 2009
I was a local HC tourney judge around central Arkansas for awhile. Nice to see the game has made a comeback. May have to go after a few of these for the ole collection.

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
Deshin said:
I never played HeroClix but I did play Mage Knight back in the day (first Clix, so old they weren't even called Clix yet).
I loved Mage Knights to death...>.< all my miniatures just collect dust now.
RandallJohn said:
This sounds pretty awesome. Now to find a gaming group in cleveland...

vansau said:
When it comes to hobbies, it doesn't get much nerdier than HeroClix.
*cough40Kcough*
True statement. I've played a lot of nerdy things in my day, but 40k takes the cake. What other game uses the term "fusion blasters" in a serious sense?

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
TheBlueRabbit said:
I was a local HC tourney judge around central Arkansas for awhile. Nice to see the game has made a comeback. May have to go after a few of these for the ole collection.
I know the main heroclix site, heroclix.com has a list of the basic and expanded rules for free. They have two major formats, modern age(which is the last 2 years worth of sets in rotation) and golden age(any set is legal). There's a non-formal set of rules going around called silver age, which is a cross between the two. It lets you use any figure, but if your figure comes with a card(started with the Legion of Super Heroes starter) then you can't add feats to them. Sealed is now pretty interesting, especially if they throw in more feat cards(which they might be phasing out).

GloryQuestor

Jun 25, 2011
You can also keep track of up-to-date information through their Facebook pages, "Wizkids" (with the black-and-white logo and close to 5000+ likes) and "NECA - N.E.C.A." (who posts other Clix news and product news for their entire company -- their updates are nice advance notice of many toy and hobby products.)

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
ccdohl said:
Can you use them with your other heroclix? I remember back in the early 2000's, I picked up the Marvel heroclix, and it was OK, but they were not compatible with DC Heroclix that came out later, which was just lame.
Technically, yes they will be. And these days, Marvel clix are 100% compatible with DC clix. However, for some reason Wizkids won't be allowing people to use Street Fighter Clix in official tournaments.

So it really all depends on how you intend to use them.