Rift Drops to $5 for the Summer

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

You can start your adventures in the world of Telara today for less than the price of a meal at McDonalds.

Trion Worlds prides Rift as one of the first new MMOs to making its free trial unlimited [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110840-Trion-Claims-Rift-Stole-WoW-Subscribers], Trion couldn't just take that lying down.

So, here we are with the Rift Summer Sizzler Sale [https://www.riftgame.com/en/products/trial-upgrade.php?utm_campaign=summer_sizzler_sale] (nice alliteration, guys). For a limited time, Trion has dropped the price of both the game and the Collectors' Edition on its online store.

The regular version of Rift is now $4.99, down from $24.99. The Collectors' Edition is actually a bit of a better deal now, too - at $9.99 from its usual price of $34.99. From what I can see, however, these editions do not come with a free month of gameplay, so get ready to add a few bucks on top of that if you want to dive into the world of Telara.

Rift may not have been a game-changer, but it was certainly [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8795-Rift-Review] a damn solid MMORPG. If that's your sort of thing, and you're not already playing WoW, then a $5 deal is actually pretty sweet. Just don't blame me if you get addicted.

(Rift Store [https://www.riftgame.com/en/products/trial-upgrade.php?utm_campaign=summer_sizzler_sale])

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
:O

...Wow... Sold guys, Sold. That's a crazy smart way to nab the summer MMO crowd.

Brainst0rm

Apr 8, 2010
That bad, eh Trion?

Can't say I'm surprised. I played the trial up to the max level, and was completely unimpressed. The soul system would have been interesting if the underlying class system wasn't yet another god damn carbon copy of WoW. And honestly, unleashing one dynamic event over and over is not something to boast about. Much less name your game after. The whole thing is silly - and makes no effort at all to interest in the over-arcing plot. If you do some digging, there's some interesting characters, but they are (as usual) relegated to the side-lines in everything but cutscenes, where they are gods and goddesses of epiccool.

I've also been hearing about a lot of mismanaging of the end game so far. Which sounds like a fast and effective way of murdering your start-up MMO.

Raizekage

May 31, 2011
I didn't notice before I bought this that it didn't come with a free month of gametime which is really stupid. The total came out to $25. Which is fine, but I did not feel like spending $25 on this game.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Not a very good sign for a game when its lowing its prices so early. Rift is pretty much the definition of a wow-clone though. Wait for something substantial to put a dent in WoW, like TOR or GW2.

EgonCom

Aug 5, 2009
John Funk said:
No it does not. It cost 12 freaking euros now (which is 18 $ if You keep up score).
So, thank You Trion but I will pass it.

Not to mention: I still don't get why subscription base MMORPGs tries to sell me a game client? Subscriptions are meat of the income in such games, so game client should be distributed for free.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
The game time's gonna run you another 15$ (unless you're gonna buy more than a month right off the bat), so keep that in mind.

Also, what the fuck. I know US companies like to bend us Europeans over with pretending euro:dollar exchange rate is 1:1, but this isn't even that. The European version of this (which you might wanna put in the article, considering not everyone's from US around here) is 12 euros :\

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
Wow! Trion loves us so much! A deal on a solid MMO that's better than WoW! Let's all give them lots of money!

...Or not. This gives off the same impression of all the ads, the specials, the contests, the slogans, and just every single thing surrounding this game that went bargain-bin the first month it came out: Trion is desperate, their game isn't reaching their expected number of clients, and now they're in a mad scramble trying to garner subscriptions to keep their doors open however they can.

...Though now that I've written it all out like that I empathize a little more.

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009
Charli said:
:O

...Wow... Sold guys, Sold. That's a crazy smart way to nab the summer MMO crowd.
I agree, Charli. It is pretty wise of the Rift guys to do that. It's good way of healthy competing with WoW. I hope it lasts until September because that's when I get my new laptop, but maybe I'll just scoop it up now and stare at the box for two months.

Thanks for the heads up, Escapist.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Looks like that's actually ?12 for us Europeans, still without the free month. That's like three times the US price. Fuck that.

I got a code a day or two ago for a Rift hat while playing Team Fortress 2. If anyone wants it, feel free to take it: RGDD-QGHC-K2J3-3HRP-ET2J (just leave a comment that you did)

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
This is almost insulting seeing as how the game was $50 not three months ago. But the game's fun lasted a month and then it became a boring end game grind. Frankly, it should only cost about $10 normally. Good game concept, lackluster design.

commasplice

Dec 24, 2009
I would pay $5 for a month of this game. I will not pay $20 for a month of this game. Subscription fees are bullshit, anyway.

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
I played the beta of this and it was okay. It was enough for me to obsess for about two days straight and that's pretty damn good.

Tempted, very tempted.

Also, what are the differences in the editions?

Gambler_Justice

Nov 25, 2010
Digital Trial Upgrade Edition: 11.99 euros
Digital Trial Upgrade Collector's Edition: 16.99 euros
I refuse to buy any game that does this. Charge me the same in euros that you charge in dollars or no deal. Or better yet, charge me in dollars.