Nintendo Opens Doors For Steam and Other Networks on Wii U

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Nintendo Opens Doors For Steam and Other Networks on Wii U

The platform holders wants the best that third party publishers have to offer.

If you've ever despaired at the online provisions available on the Wii, rest assured that things will be very different with the Wii U. Very, very different in fact, as Nintendo is apparently more than happy for third party publishers to use their own networks on the Wii U.

Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime says that Nintendo had decided to sidestep the arguments with publishers over using their own systems. He said that Nintendo wanted to get the best of what the third party publishers had to offer to make. This would mean that deals like the one that Sony reached with Valve over having Steam on the PS3 would be fairly commonplace, and might even open the door to cross-platform play as with the PC and PS3 versions of Portal 2.

This move from Nintendo offers all kinds of potential for other games as well. For example, one of the reasons that Final Fantasy XIV didn't make it to the Xbox 360 was because was because Square Enix wanted to use Xbox Live in a way that Microsoft didn't like. That wouldn't be an issue on the Wii U though, as Square Enix could do whatever it wanted/needed. Obviously, FF XIV didn't turn out to be the best game in the world, so Microsoft probably isn't all that upset it missed out, but the principle remains the same.

What's not clear though, it how the whole system is going to fit together. Nintendo has promised an experience much closer to Xbox Live for the Wii U, but from what Fils-Aime is saying, it sounds like it's going to be much a rather fragmented service, with publishers doing most of the work themselves. Of course, with such a long time until the Wii U actually comes out, this information is incomplete. Nintendo will still need a provision for first part content, and it will be interesting to see what that will be.

Source: Forbes [http://blogs.forbes.com/davidewalt/2011/07/05/nintendo-reggie-fils-aime-wii-u/] via 1up [http://www.1up.com/news/third-party-online-platforms-welcome-wii-u]

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
You know what, for the first time I'm actually thinking that I might get this thing, if the 3rd party developers can use this well enough. So far a lot of the information on the WiiU hasn't gone down that well with me but if it can pull this off well, the touchscreen controller be used effectively, a few decent 1st party games and a reasonable price tag then this could be a purchase. Walk carefully though Nintendo, I like the Wii and I love the Gameboy/DS but I'm still on the fence on this one.

Fuselage

Nov 18, 2009
Wait. So does this mean I can use Steam on this thing?
Nintendo, you just got another customer!!

vivalahelvig

Jun 4, 2009
ForsakenUK said:
Does this mean Gordon Freeman/ TF2 / portal in my Super Smash Bros?

we can only hope
That means....that Gordon Freeman will be in Super smash bros ...The most overpowered character evers!

OT: Too bad I wont be able to play on the WiiU due to money constraints.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Right, I am so bringing this up at the next developer meeting for the game I'm working on. We've already discussed porting it to Steam and to PSN, but adding the Wii U to that list would be a damn sight easier with this news. As far as I'm concerned, what with the benefits to developers, the benefits to gamers in the increased content, and the benefit financially and reputation-wise to Nintendo, this has no downsides for anyone involved. And that's a very good thing indeed...

InsanelyZanter

Aug 8, 2010
If this is done right, my interest just skyrocketed.

Assuming we get more then valve games. I love every one, but the single game by them that will come out during the Wii-u's life cycle is not the best selling point.

Jamie Hawkins

Feb 5, 2011
So - Nintendo are planning to have as many online networks as they can running on this thing at any given time? Ok not too bad of an ide.. Wait. What's that? Only one controller at a time? You can fuck right off, thank you very much...

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
Color me interested. Now, if they'd only show a picture of their ACTUAL GODDAMN CONSOLE.

They better not pull a Sony and price it at $900 at Christmas.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I.... I want steam on my wiiU, I want it, I want it so bad I can.. errr well I want it

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
ForsakenUK said:

we can only hope
I can just imagine playing as the Engineer on Super Smash Bros Clash (Just a Name I chose for it, since it makes sense):

Building a Sentry at the one end of the level and just hoping it shoots everyone.

OT: I'm already getting a WiiU with or without Steam. I only use Steam to play TF2.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
King Toasty said:
Color me interested. Now, if they'd only show a picture of their ACTUAL GODDAMN CONSOLE.
Here ya go.

It was actually in that E3 trailer, but they never drew attention to it for some reason. I can understand emphasizing the controller, since that's the biggest feature, especially for investors and...well, the people who'd find out about the system on tv commercials, but there were some people who thought this was a Wii addon instead of a new console for about a week after E3...

Jamie Hawkins

Feb 5, 2011
starwarsgeek said:
King Toasty said:
Here ya go.

It kinda ugly, but then, it also reminds me of that old HD-DVD player add-on for Xbox360, anyone else agree?

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Jamie Hawkins said:
It kinda ugly, but then, it also reminds me of that old HD-DVD player add-on for Xbox360, anyone else agree?
I haven't seen that add-on before, but it just makes me think of a curvy sideways Wii. The design could change, though I think it's look fine...a little odd, but not necessarily off-putting.

Edit:

LightOfDarkness said:
Looks like a modernized NES
That too.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Mr.Mattress said:
ForsakenUK said:

we can only hope
I can just imagine playing as the Engineer on Super Smash Bros Clash (Just a Name I chose for it, since it makes sense):
My vote goes to

"Super Smash Bros: Free 4 All"

*badum-tish*

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I think Nintendo has been paying close attention to all the mistakes and what was done right in this console generation, and now is putting all that knowledge into something so nobody can complain about it on the internet.