Analysts: Sony Made Money on Welcome Back Program

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Analysts: Sony Made Money on Welcome Back Program

The PlayStation Network outage has had a silver lining for Sony's sales.

Having your customer's Infamous 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109568-Sony-Admits-Private-PSN-Info-Has-Been-Stolen-All-Of-It] and Little Big Planet 2 actually increased due to offering the original games for free. The report recommends other publishers experiment with offering older games in its catalog for free, especially when a new sequel is on the shelves.

"While the Welcome Back program was designed to rekindle the activity and consumer trust of PlayStation Network users, the data suggests it may have highlighted a new profitable sequence for video game," EEDAR's report read.

By offering games for free, the increased awareness, excitement and purchasing intent for a franchise more than makes up for any decreased sales profits, as EEDAR's data proves:

When broken down mathematically, the results make a sound financial argument.

If a game that once sold 2 million units in the market is currently available digitally and physically, it is likely producing gross receipts of about $500,000 a month. Assuming that gross receipts reduce to $0 during a 30 day period where a title is free (-$500,000), as long as the free offering boost sales of the next iteration by 8,500 units (at $59 ASP), then it would produce a net/net benefit to the publisher.

EEDAR believes that the publicity generated from the free offering, in addition to new consumers being introduced to the series, would make the 8,500 unit mark easily achievable.

There are a few downsides, though. Games which have a strong narrative element, such as the Mass Effect series, often see huge spikes in sales of previous titles for gamers that want to "catch up" with the story. Offering narrative games for free may not offset the potential profits. The other problem is that physical retailers - as opposed to digital marketplaces - will likely frown on offering product for free that they can typically charge rental or used prices.

Unlike movies, there is no clear sequence of sales for games and the industry could seriously use one. "For instance, a movie is first released in theatres where it generates the most revenue, then moves to the Pay-Per-View market, followed by the rental market and lastly, broadcast for free on network television," the EEDAR report points out. "Within the video game industry, however, these sequences typically occur simultaneously with games being available physically, digitally and for rental concurrently and rarely made available for free."

The plan that EEDAR recommends sounds similar to the free-to-play revolution going on in MMOs right now. Exposure to more content often loosens the purse strings more than a $60 paywall.

While it certainly seems counter-intuitive to offer product for free, I'm sure that gamers would welcome playing older games without emptying their wallets.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I hope this kind of thing catches on!
I bought inFamous 2 because inFamous 1 was free and fun!

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Awww.. really? You mean the publicity stunt duped people into generating money for their benevolent benefactors? /eyeroll

Oh the hypocrisy.

Brain_Cleanser

Dec 18, 2009
I'm not sure I understand exactly how they made a profit though... if you count all the money and everything spent on the upgrades, lost on the down time, the cost of swallowing the free games, ect, I'm not sure that it's a profit... I might just be over thinking it.
I remembered discussing this with a friend the same way.
Meanwhile, damn good practice, though Sony. props.

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
So other companies are finally realizing what VALVe did years ago? That if you give great deals and free stuff people buy more shit from you?

Yay.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I would have never tried Infamous if not for the welcome back program and once I finish it, I fully intend to buy Infamous 2 new.

This does make sense from a business standpoint but only if there are a significant amount of people like me.

Greg Tito said:
The other problem is that physical retailers - as opposed to digital marketplaces - will likely frown on offering product for free that they can typically charge rental or used prices.
I don't think there will ever be enough free offerings to really affect physical retailers.

Comando96

May 26, 2009
I buy all my games on steam.

I personally wouldn't be affected by this as per standard policy most computer games bought via disks cannot be traded in second hand, and I believe consoles are getting an easier deal...

However... with PC this is the only way to avoid piracy... only allowing the game to be played with the disk worked for about 10 mins before someone created a work-around.

With consoles there is a different aspect. There are 2 major... similar (excluding Nintendo) suppliers. If one supplier acts and the other doesn't... then the one who has made 1 copy games is an utter fool. If both do this however... it'll work... and it'll be damn effective.

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
so why again does this analyst still has a job?
i actually thought this would be about the extended subscriptions of psn+ after the 30 day trial
instead there is now a completely unrepresentative "calculation" that says nothing and has less in common with reality than a paycheck for an analyst

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
Well duh.

If anyone thought Sony's offering of two in house exclusive titles when the sequels were on or due to be on retail shelves was purely coincidental then they still have a lot to learn about the world.

As soon as the announcement of the games came through I though: "Excellent marketing".

I'm glad the proof was in the pudding, and I'm expecting the disaster recovery team will be getting a very well deserved pat on the back.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
TimeLord said:
Actually, I hope it doesn't. It almost proves that Sony's 'apology' to us was basically a marketing tool, something many expected before they even gave it to us. That's pretty damn low.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Accidental? I highly doubt there was anything accidental about the two main welcome back titles being games with new sequels.

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
Let's stop pretending that this was some unintended consequence of an act of goodwill to their customers. It wasn't. Sony are not stupid, they knew that this would make money and that's why they did it. If they didn't think it would make money, they would have done something else instead.

Also worth pointing out that Sony didn't 'discover' some magical new sales phenomenon. Bottom line, if you give a person something they want for free, that person feels gratitude toward you. If you then want to sell them something, they remember that first act of kindness and are happy to purchase your product. I've seen restaurants do this to great effect.

Ashadow700

Jun 28, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
TimeLord said:
Actually, I hope it doesn't. It almost proves that Sony's 'apology' to us was basically a marketing tool, something many expected before they even gave it to us.. That's pretty damn low.
Well, it really is quite obvious that it was, but no matter how you slice it - it is still free games. Guess one could allways just download the free stuff and then intentionally shun the sequels it is supposed to boost (though that would be rather silly...).

Ytinasni

Apr 27, 2011
Brain_Cleanser said:
I'm not sure I understand exactly how they made a profit though... if you count all the money and everything spent on the upgrades, lost on the down time, the cost of swallowing the free games, ect, I'm not sure that it's a profit... I might just be over thinking it.
I remembered discussing this with a friend the same way.
Meanwhile, damn good practice, though Sony. props.

I dont think it was a total profit, it's just highlighting an increase in sales for those particular titles in relation to the free ones.

jovack22

Jan 26, 2011
viranimus said:
Awww.. really? You mean the publicity stunt duped people into generating money for their benevolent benefactors? /eyeroll

Oh the hypocrisy.
Having your network breached is hardly the kind of publicity stunt you'd want if you are looking towards marketing your future products as superior.

Although I agree that their "free games" (which were in all likelihood not generating sales) was clearly a ploy to get people to purchase the more expensive sequels.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Aaaaaand Sony bounces back! This is great to hear! I love Sony, and now, people might be giving away free games! Of course I won't be buying the sequals due to lack of quid but hey, this is cool!