No Funky DRM For Fallout 3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
No Funky DRM For Fallout 3

Unlike recent blockbusters from Oblivion [http://www.spore.com]-style disc check for copy protection.

Bethesda's Pete Hines told Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1012] that piracy is a "huge problem," but that the company also considers it a priority to ensure it doesn't ruin the experience for people who buy legitimate copies. "We're pretty mild about how we do it, and we try to do it in a way that prevents folks from exploiting and distributing our games that we worked very hard on, and that we feel we have a right to try and sell and not have distributed for free without our okay," he said. "It's very important for us not to ruin the experience for the person who did buy a copy, so we try to be very careful."

That means no SecuROM, and no limit on the number of times the game can be installed. "We do the mildest form possible. I actually don't know if I even want to get into what it is that we exactly do, but we try to be really non-invasive when it comes to that stuff," he said. "And it is a pain in the ass - it is a pain in the ass that we have to do it at all in the first place. But when you spend tens of millions of dollars, we don't think it's right to just put something out there and let everybody do whatever they want and pass it around."

Hines pointed to Steam [http://www.steampowered.com] as a possible "good solution" for combating piracy, saying that while the system was flawed when it first came out, it has since developed into a smooth-running and widely accepted method of copy protection. Bethesda is considering multiple digital distribution options, he said, but maintained that the company is committed to not hassling its customers. "We always talk about it in our games, about wanting to avoid the negative," he said. "We want to remove anything that is a hindrance or an annoyance to the player, we're trying to just get to the game and have fun. The interface, or whatever it is... Or the DRM, and making sure that we're trying to protect something that we spent a lot of money developing, but not prohibiting somebody who bought a legitimate copy from getting into the game and having fun right away."

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
I like the idea of a 'Steam' release. We can all get pissed about these darn protections and how they piss us off with limited number of installs and the like, but if people actually BOUGHT the darn games then we wouldn't have these issues.

On topic: Good for you Bethesda! I like the cut of your jib.

Pigeon_Grenade

May 29, 2008
I'm a Fallout fan Through and Through, so this is great news, i wonder if there will be many mods for the PC version.

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
If this is avaiable on steam I will definately download it. I loved the old fallout and have no issues with steam what-so-ever.

Yes it sucks when your internet is down, and you can't play anything. But thats what you have a consul for surely...

Landslide

Jun 13, 2002
I wonder how much less piracy there is on console-only releases vs. PC. I have to imagine it's a much bigger pain to try and pirate something on a console. My only complaint about Steam is that it feels sluggish. However, I get a good portion of my PC titles thru there now.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I love this company. Their decent treatment of their fans, for me, is another reason to buy their games.

Their games are good too, of course.

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
sirdanrhodes post=7.73028.781895 said:
Epic win.
Epic Win is correct. Not that this will affect me in any way as my computer is better used as a footrest than a gaming machine. But it's nice to see a company thinking about their fans, not just their wallets for once.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Ah, good, i needed something to put on my "to buy" list for next year after several major titles were infected by securom rootkits.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
You've had no idea how many times I've had to re-install Oblivion - I was so happy that Bethsoft didn't have DRM on it.

I was also scared they would let me down this time, after hearing about no construction set and ignoring the fanbase - I thought they may kick me in the nuts even harder.

Wombats

Oct 3, 2008
Good job, Take Two.

Its great to see a company with so much love for their games taking care of probably the best game world I've seen in a computer game.

I still crank up Fallout 1 & 2.
When I'm old and wrinkly I'll probably be going back to Fallout 3, too :)