No Funky DRM For Fallout 3

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
If I could afford to, I'd buy ten legitimate copies, just to say "thanks for not being douches"

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
It's good go see that Bethesda is getting the idea of what we, as gamers, want. It's one thing for Stardock to go with no or little DRM, that's kind of their thing. But Bethesda is a larger, more mainstream game publisher. Seeing that they get the idea gives me some hope for the industry in the long term.

I'm just glad there is at least one game coming out that I can buy, because EA games are currently off my list.

mrakk

Oct 3, 2008
Reading the headline for the article, "No Funky DRM..." left me imagining the possibilities if DRM was made "funky". I'd imagine that it would take the form of enforcement presented on my screen by a very stern "Disco Stu" from The Simpsons.

"Disco Stu says: 3 installs for you"

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
mrakk post=7.73028.783883 said:
Reading the headline for the article, "No Funky DRM..." left me imagining the possibilities if DRM was made "funky". I'd imagine that it would take the form of enforcement presented on my screen by a very stern "Disco Stu" from The Simpsons.

"Disco Stu says: 3 installs for you"
Welcome to the Escapist! Good to see someone debut with a bang, that post cracked me up.

On-topic: I have never had a problem with very basic copy protection (disc-check, authentication for a multiplayer online game, that sort of thing.) It's when companies go gung-ho with it *cough*EA*cough* that they lose my business.

Even SecuROM gets a worse rap than it deserves because it's designed as a cafeteria-plan DRM system. But for every company that only uses SecuROM's basic features like disc-checking (Bethsoft on Shivering Isles, 2K on Civ4Col), there's a company like EA that tops its games with restrictions like toppings on a Chicago-style hot dog.

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
snowplow post=7.73028.786598 said:
heh, I'm buying Fallout 3.

Simply not using invasive DRM schemes deserves a purchase. Plus I think the game itself deserves a purchase.
Here here. It was kind of a mandatory purchase for me anyway since I pray daily at the alter of Fallout, but god damn, they just got a gold star in my book for this.

Who'd of thought that being anti-DRM would be the greatest marketing strategy possible?

Bongo Bill

Jul 13, 2006
I was going to wait for the price to go down before even thought about getting this. But now that I've heard this I think I'll grab it early, just as a show of support. Maybe I'll buy it twice.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Bethesda, you have won at the internet.

I sincerly hope all the pirates out there decied to buy the game as a show of their appreciation.

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
praise bethesda!
and head-detonations!
Now I'm sure to buy it, hell, I may even get one for my pirate-prone roommate when the price drops.

Typecast

Jul 27, 2008
If they release it online, will it be the original version without the "Australians are wimpy so no adult content of ANY kind please"? Please, please say yes, the OFLC can't censor the internet... though I think I should qualify that with a 'YET'.

Novajam

Apr 26, 2008
smallharmlesskitten post=7.73028.803606 said:
Novajam post=7.73028.803599 said:
smallharmlesskitten post=7.73028.803564 said:
ooooh exploding head
Every game needs one. No exceptions.
true. Though I don't remember any in Counterstrike.... just sudden ragdoll physics
I'm sure there's a mod somewhere.

EDIT: I found a mod for more blood, that count?

Typecast post=7.73028.803613 said:
If they release it online, will it be the original version without the "Australians are wimpy so no adult content of ANY kind please"? Please, please say yes, the OFLC can't censor the internet... though I think I should qualify that with a 'YET'.
*sigh* The only, repeat only thing that has been changed is that Morphine is now called Med-X. Nothing else is different.