Arkham City Adds Two New Faces to its Rogues Gallery

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Arkham City Adds Two New Faces to its Rogues Gallery

Solomon Grundy and Talia al Ghul join the likes of the Penguin and the Joker on the streets of Arkham City [http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Arkham-City-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0JAVK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311338170&sr=8-1].

You have to feel sorry for Batman sometimes: If he didn't already have enough to do in the urban prison that is Arkham City, now he has to deal with a massively strong zombie and the daughter of one of his most troublesome foes as well.

A new trailer showcasing the Penguin - which you can see above - gives gamers their first look at Solomon Grundy, who is essentially a super-strong walking corpse. At the same time, Entertainment Weekly [http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/07/21/batman-arkham-city-stana-katic-castle/] is showing off the first picture - which you can see below - of Talia al Ghul, who is the daughter of the centuries old supervillain, Ra's al Ghul, and a recurring love interest for the Caped Crusader.

Solomon Grundy made his comics debut back in the forties, as part of the original Green Lantern's rogues gallery. A mobster brought back to life by magic, Grundy has been a thorn in the side of numerous heroes over the years. Interestingly, he seems a lot more massive in the trailer than he does in the comics and his veins are glowing blue, which might suggest that he's using Titan - or been given it - to boost his strength.

Talia al Ghul first appeared in the early seventies. She is something of a complex character, torn between her loyalty to her father and her love for Batman. In the comics, she is also technically the mother of Damian Wayne, the current Robin and Batman's son, which is a rather confusing and elaborate story in its own right. Talia's voice in Arkham City will be provided by Castle star Stana Katic.

Just how important these characters are to the Arkham City story remains to be seen. Solomon Grundy likely won't be much else other than dumb muscle, but Talia is much harder to pin down, as her relationship to Batman is a lot more complex.

Batman: Arkham City comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on October 18th.

Source: via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2011/07/22/talia-al-ghul-makes-arkham-city-debut-at-comic-con/] and ONM [http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/28913/batman-arkham-city-penguin-trailer-shows-new-enemy/]

mik hardcore

Feb 11, 2010
Sweeet! I just love the range of new villains. Awesome to see Grundy, nice that they've included some lesser known talent.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
I like Arkham City's expanded roster of villains. At the same time I hope Rocksteady doesn't put in too many so that great characters get reduced to cannon fodder.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
I still dislike the new penguin, and the fighting looks way more floaty to me.
I'll just hate to wait and see, I guess. I'm still gonna buy it.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
It'll be interesting to see how the fights work out against Grundy and Baine. Hopefully we don't just throw a batarang at them when they charge. That always seemed a little weak to me.

And Talia. I approve! It'll be interesting to see how her character plays out.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
ultimateownage said:
I still dislike the new penguin, and the fighting looks way more floaty to me.
I'll just hate to wait and see, I guess. I'm still gonna buy it.
It doesn't in normal gameplay - I agree it looks a little bizarre in the trailers.

Also: Penguin's voice actor is terrible. Considering they're an English dev studio you'd have thought they could bring in an actual Cockney to do the voice. He sounds like they've got an American to do it.

Still, the rest looks fantastic (had to look up the Solomon Grundy guy, never even heard the nursery rhyme before).

CombiBlood

Nov 18, 2009
Where the eff is Bat-mite!?

I do like the looks of both characters. Can't wait for this game...along with Uncharted 3 and Battlefield 3.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
CombiBlood said:
Where the eff is Bat-mite!?
Well, they've got the Calander Man in there, Bat-mite wouldn't feel that out of place.

I wonder what an "Arkhamized" Bat-mite would look like? Maybe his hyper nature would be caused by a speed or cocain addiction.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
I really aught to stop reading gaming news, by the time this game comes out Ill know everything front to back from press releases.

Dev's need to shut their yaps.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Eh, that dialogue was pretty bad. Also I'm not keen on the Penguin's voice actor.

Still can't wait though.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Talia and Catwoman in the same game? If end up in a catfight (sorry) over Bruce I'll be really pissed.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
See, I was going to say, "You got Superman in my Batman," because I thought Soloman originally came from the Superman comics. Shows how much I follow this stuff if it's not Teen Titans.
So looking forward to this game. Going to be interesting taking down so many different villains.
Two fierce women in love with the same man trapped in the same city...sounds like some teeth are going to get broken.

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
I don't really dig Batman's voice actor. I know the Bat is supposed to sound gruff and lacking in emotion, but it couldn't hurt to put some edge in his voice.

"But now, I'm taking you down, too. Because, I am, bored."

Don't get me wrong though, Arkham Asylum is one of the best games of this generation, but now, I'm looking forward to this one, too.

Also, I just looked up the voice cast for Arkham City... I had no idea Mark Hamill did the Joker. He did it for these 2 games, plus DC Universe Online and more. Didn't even recognize him.

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
Too many characters now; it's starting to raise doubts in me.

The first game was focused. Had cool little touches, bonuses for fans and gamers alike, but still was pretty singular-those villains in Arkham were kept contained due to the size of the asylum and couldn't take center stage. This is beginning to feel like a sprawling, potential mess of a game because they're trying to do too much.

I mean, what's the count-Batman, Robin, Catwoman, Joker, Harley, Hugo, Penguin, Riddler, Solomon Grundy, and more? It hardly feels like a week goes by without more character revelations and those characters aren't small; many represent threats that could be one game by itself.

Don't get me wrong; everything looks awesome but...doing everything bigger just because it's a sequel isn't always a good idea.