World of Warplanes Website Takes to the Skies

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
World of Warplanes Website Takes to the Skies

Wargaming.net has unveiled a brand-new website for World of Warplanes, a "flight combat MMO action game set in the Golden Age of military aviation."

Say "MMO" in a crowded room and most people will instantly envision the relatively recent phenomenon of games like Lord of the Rings Online [http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft-Battle-Chest-Mac/dp/B000H96C9M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1312911218&sr=8-2], but those of a certain vintage and upbringing [usually identifiable by their gnarled right fists and dangerously-focused look in their eyes] will flash back to something else: yanking and banking warbirds in huge, endless furballs amidst the digital clouds. Those decades-old MMO progenitors were primitive and expensive, and they were glorious.

And soon those grizzled joystick jockeys [and new meat, too] will be able to take to those murderous skies once again in World of Warplanes, an upcoming MMO that puts players in the cockpits of classic fighters of the mid-20th century. From the close of the biplane era to the early combat jets of the Korean war, World of Warplanes will support variable ammo types, engines and other components in nimble light fighters, hard-hitting heavy fighters and lumbering, tough ground attack planes.

Whether this will be a serious flight sim or an arcade-style turn-and-burner hasn't been revealed but new record [http://wargaming.net/] for concurrent users on a single server with nearly 75,000 digital tankers slugging it out on the battlefield.

There's not much to see at this point beyond a dozen screens of WW2-era fighters in action but the official World of Warplanes website is now live at www.worldofwarplanes.com [http://www.worldofwarplanes.com/]. World of Warplanes is currently expected to lift off sometime in 2012.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
I do hope they update World of tanks with the countries before this comes out first. Or at least sort out their tiering system for the matchmaking. I'm getting annoyed grinding my way up my medium tech tree and getting put in matches where I'm just cannon fodder.

Jim Grim

Jun 6, 2009
Why did they think it was necessary to give themselves a name so similar to World of Warcraft? Is it really possible for a flight sim game to ride the coat-tails of a fantasy RPG like that? Do they think that people will accidentally buy their game instead of WoW?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
I can see it already. "Nerf P-51D's they're overpowered!"

Also I hope the P-38 Lightning makes an appearance.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
TheGoldenMan said:
And then... my head exploded
Mine would have, but then it realized, you can't shout DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA without a head.

I love World of Tanks, it's more like Counter Strike with tracks than World of Warcraft. Can't wait for this.

PS, I'll be in the Folgore (if it's in the game...)

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Slycne said:
And imagine the shitstorm when the devs release the Messerschmitt Me-262 through microtransaction.

... I'd buy it.

commodore96

Aug 31, 2010
In my personal opinion they shouldn't use real nations, and create a large number of small factions. But hey who am I to tell them what to do.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Wow. If Bethesda thought they had a good case against Mojang's "Scrolls" I can't imagine what hope these guys have of not being sued!

Elementlmage

Aug 14, 2009
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Slycne said:
And imagine the shitstorm when the devs release the Messerschmitt Me-262 through microtransaction.

... I'd buy it.
If they do it right, the P51-D should be a noob trap. It's not that maneuverable below 15k feet and has crap for fire power compared to other planes of the era like the Yak-3, La-7, Me-109G and so forth.

And the 262 wasn't that great either. It's extremely stiff to fly and has crap for gun range as the muzzle velocity on those cannons is something like 500 m/s. It is fast though!

I will own ALL with my Yak-3!

Elementlmage

Aug 14, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Runstangs are for chumps. Real men stallfight in 190s.
Screw your 190! I'll run yo down in my Yak-3 and make you eat ShVAK fury with .50 cal HE-I icing! If they go sim, don't even think about coming on my tail either; I can pull a single rotation flat spin on cue!

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Elementlmage said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Slycne said:

... I'd buy it.
If they do it right, the P51-D should be a noob trap. It's not that maneuverable below 15k feet and has crap for fire power compared to other planes of the era like the Yak-3, La-7, Me-109G and so forth.

And the 262 wasn't that great either. It's extremely stiff to fly and has crap for gun range as the muzzle velocity on those cannons is something like 500 m/s. It is fast though!

I will own ALL with my Yak-3!
Arrrgghhh! The goddamned Russians with their low stall speeds!

http://www.acecombat.jp/ace6/arms/su-47/002.jpg

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Christ I hope we get a Pacific/Oceania/Australian server for this. I can't play World of Tanks any more because of the horrific lag. Anyway, look for me, I'll be in a Spitfire doing a bad Polish accent.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Does this remind anyone of the game Secret Weapons Over Normandy? I want Lawrence Holland to make a new dogfighting game.