89 Features Missing From The Sims 4!

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
The list is utterly mind-boggling. EA might actually get a complete backlash from the Sims community for once.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Mcoffey said:
On the one hand, this is a new engine, with new rules that probably limited them in what they could accomplish in the time frame they had.

On the other hand, it is pathetically plausible that EA set the time frame and resource direction to be limited so they could sell all that stuff later.

On the weird, mutant third hand, they gave me the Sims 2 for free last month, so I don't even care about their shitty new game.
Using the "it is a new engine"-defense is problematic when they created the engine for this very game. If anything a new engine should be expected to be able to do more than its' predecessor, not less. That they removed so many customization options, in a game that is essentially all about customizing the game to your play style, is either indicative of sloppy coding (the engine can't handle customization), mixed up priorities or simple greed, since the lack of customization means you'll have to buy more stuff either via expansions or in-game purchases.

small

Aug 5, 2014
I'm one of those Sims players, the one who started with the first game, picked up the expansions and did the same for Sims 2 and 3. So technically I should be the ideal customer for EA with the Sims 4 but something feels very off about the fourth game and I will be skipping it

NemotheElvenPanda

Aug 29, 2012
Thank goodness I got the Sims 2 Ultimate for free on Origin while I could. Now I have pretty much the entire content for one of the best iterations of the series, plus a strong modding community that never seems to die. Even Sims 3 with its lackluster start and dry expansions which just screamed "BUY MORE EXPANSIONS AND STUFF FOR FUN", looks like a massive improvement over Sims 4, which is sad because if EA could make a Sims game that was essentially a mix of what people liked in 2 and 3, they'd be way better off then when customers will complain and boycott just as they did with Simcity. I can understand removing a few minor things here and there like body hair, but flat maps, loading screens, jobs, editing lots, and all these features that've been in EVERY SINGLE Sims game is not going work for them.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
This doesn't mean the game will necessarily be crap. The "everything but the kitchen sink" approach is not always good, even in open world style games like this. Quality over quantity. But it isn't encouraging. In any case, I don't plan on picking this one up early on. We will see what people think a year after release.

Trinket to Ride

Jul 13, 2014
No body hair, no buy.

But seriously, that's a lot of removed content! It's like they added the people molding and modular rooms, gutted everything else, and gave everyone the ol' "screw you, buy it again."

The only way I could see this working is if it went free to play or something.

INVALIDUSERNAME

May 23, 2012
Fell in love with The Sims 3, was mildly interested in TS4 when it was announced but I really didn't like the art style they chose to go with.

Now this just sounds like absolute shit. I'll stick with 3.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
I'd like to see EA release a game that was just a "press start" screen that linked to micro-transactions and that was the whole game

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Jandau said:
I remember a rumour that The Sims 4 started development as an iOS/Android game, with EA changing their mind and retooling it into The Sims 4. This would explain all the cut features (stuff they couldn't fit into the constraints of an iOS system), as well as the lack of 64-bit support...
WAIT WAIT WAIT!

The Sims 4 was created in 32 bit?!? I actually had to Google that to check it is true. That is hilarious for a game that relies so much on customisation. This game is going to be so bare on release I think we've found our next big blow up, especially when the mass microtransaction shop and DLC try and sell cut features back.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Hero in a half shell said:
Jandau said:
I remember a rumour that The Sims 4 started development as an iOS/Android game, with EA changing their mind and retooling it into The Sims 4. This would explain all the cut features (stuff they couldn't fit into the constraints of an iOS system), as well as the lack of 64-bit support...
WAIT WAIT WAIT!

The Sims 4 was created in 32 bit?!? I actually had to Google that to check it is true. That is hilarious for a game that relies so much on customisation. This game is going to be so bare on release I think we've found our next big blow up, especially when the mass microtransaction shop and DLC try and sell cut features back.
You know the sims 1 had microtransaction shops. They weren't ran by EA though. They were mod websites you payed for to get new clothes and such. It wasn't in till late in the sims 2 cycle that you could buy individual items direct from EA. Sims 3 was big on the microtransactions. They included a shop from the very start and even packaged shop points with the game, but I don't think it really went as well as they thought it would. It was about 3 EP in when they stopped packaging points with the games and I personally never spent my points.

Zukabazuka

Mar 7, 2012
Isn't it Maxis that is making this game? Sure EA lend them money but I wonder how much EA actually order them around? Because every single time I see these pop up its never the company making the game who is responsible for the stuff in the game but always EA. Like they are the ones telling how to make a game.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Come one, come all! It's time for EA's mysterious disappearing features!

How can an entity be so incompetent and greedy that their mere existence causes features to disappear?
Tickets are 60 bucks each, with all the views behind the curtain you want after that!

Come one, come all!

Jandau said:
I hadn't heard of anything like that, but this list of slashed features and limitations just SCREAMS "Mobile/F2P" game to me on its own. A conversion from mobile seems the most logical explanation, especially after what happened with Dungeon Keeper.

Zukabazuka said:
Isn't it Maxis that is making this game? Sure EA lend them money but I wonder how much EA actually order them around? Because every single time I see these pop up its never the company making the game who is responsible for the stuff in the game but always EA. Like they are the ones telling how to make a game.
They are the ones telling them how to make the game.
There's a useful and important phrase called "Tone at the top."

I could explain why or how that is important, but someone has done that already.

He cites "Bioware" as the example, but "Maxis" could fit into it just as well (history lesson excluded). I'd recommend watching the whole thing, including the short bit before where I have it start.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
With how much fun TS2 can be with all of its expansions and content (basically the version that they gave away for free), I never felt any need to "upgrade" to TS3. And with all of this bullshit, I see even less reason to want to get TS4. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to keep messing around with TS2.

William Fleming

Mar 6, 2011
So what I'm reading, this is basically a HD remake of The Sims 1 after being stripped bare of anything that any Sims fan actually play the Sims for.

In all honesty, any of the other iterations have more content in their base game than Sims 4 which is saddening.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I guess someone at EA decided that killing 3 long running franchises in the last 4 years wasnt enough.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Sims is an enormous cash cow for EA, so I have no doubt that they'll eventually get this spiffed up and running nicely, with reasonable feature richness.

I am, however, going to be avoiding it like the plague at launch.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
While there are plenty of features missing that we all know they'll charge for down the line, these guys did what they could to pad that list out dramatically. They even duplicate a few items. The mention of full face makeup really raises the "bitching about anything" flag since it was replaced with something better.

ajr209

May 6, 2013
Mikeyfell said:
I'd like to see EA release a game that was just a "press start" screen that linked to micro-transactions and that was the whole game
Why would you risk giving them that idea? Do you really hate us that much? What did we ever do to you man?

OT: I seriously don't see how they think they'll get away with stripping the bulk of the customization and things that allow the simulation of everyday life from a series that is solely about customization and the simulation of everyday life. The sims 2 for PC was one of my all time favorite time sinks. Didn't like that the sims 3 focused so heavily on sims socializing and constantly bugged me to upload memories (snapshots of something of note the sim did) to the site but found enough that I did enjoy to have fun just the same. I think I'm pretty glad I decided not to pre-order 4. Looks like they're taking everything that sucked about three (Constant harassment to connect to social media, lack of blank neighborhoods in the base game, and base game coming with a paltry amount of features/neighborhoods/clothing/hair/makeup/flooring/wall coverings so that you'll have to spend a ton on expansions and stuff packs if the modding community doesn't take to this one very much) and focus solely on that.