[9/11] A short message to my cousins across the pond.

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
Derek_the_Dodo said:
Versuvius said:
Oh stop looking down on me, and nice job at being passive agressive. I just can't give a damn about people at the other side of the globe. Moreso in all of the conflict in the world, all of that the western world has caused itself in it's pointless wars, this is a mere drop in the ocean. The US army was in foreign lands causing a royal muckup and it came and had a strike back. Casualties of war and all that. People died, people's relatives died. They have my sympathy but thats as far as it goes. A great big whingy hoohah, every year an excuse to cling to the old grudge, renew the axe to grind and get upset again over something a decade old. You know what, the UK was blitzed into oblivion by the germans during the war and we certain as hell don't make a yearly bawww out of it. It is confined to the history books and taught to our children, maybe the US should take on the example. But it won't happen.
You realise that we have remembrance day in November annually that everyone pays tribute to in the form of buying little plastic poppies for charity. And WW2 was over half a century ago. Why shouldn't those affected by the events of 9/11 (yes we are all fully aware that 11/9 is the correct way around to say it in this country, but seeing as the events took place in the US it seems only logical we use their dating system when referring to it) have a day to mourn as well? Especially with the fact that terrorism is still a current issue.
My opinion on the whole area of tearing at old wounds remains the same. Be it british, american or from Mars.

Bradeck

Sep 5, 2011
Versuvius said:
Bradeck said:
Versuvius said:
Bradeck said:
Versuvius said:
Technically its 11/9. And personally i think "get over it". It's happened, it's been, it's gone, you have given the terrorist organisation supposedly responsible hell via your military and shot bin laden. Give us all an effing break from your sob story. I really couldn't care less about those towers. Hey guy's we got bombed too, the biggest response was our lamenting of the trains running late the day after. That is all.

Edit: Also terrorising the world with your absurd pre-flight checks like a bunch of paranoid children.

Your being the potty government.
Wow. Your arrogance is astounding. I really hope you're 14, or at least still a teen, because if you get to adulthood with that level of insensitivity and phenomenally nihilistic mentality, then you have just doomed yourself to a horribly unhappy future.

Is it too much to ask for you to hold that sort of rhetoric inside, instead of whipping out the e-peen to show us all what a cool anti-hipster elitist you are? God! Your arrogance offends the very fabric of common decency. You are a sad little man, who wants so desperately to be Ricky Fitts from American Beauty.

You sir, are a fool, and a crass example of freedom gone amok. However, I thank you for your comment, with all my heart. As a person who has spent at least 8 years of his life in the service of his country, sometimes is harsher lands, I love it when any person expresses their freedom of speech. Because I KNOW it was GIVEN to you, no matter how undeserving, by better men and women than yourself. Men and Women like me.

Good day sir.
Oh stop looking down on me, and nice job at being passive agressive. I just can't give a damn about people at the other side of the globe. Moreso in all of the conflict in the world, all of that the western world has caused itself in it's pointless wars, this is a mere drop in the ocean. The US army was in foreign lands causing a royal muckup and it came and had a strike back. Casualties of war and all that. People died, people's relatives died. They have my sympathy but thats as far as it goes. A great big whingy hoohah, every year an excuse to cling to the old grudge, renew the axe to grind and get upset again over something a decade old. You know what, the UK was blitzed into oblivion by the germans during the war and we certain as hell don't make a yearly bawww out of it. It is confined to the history books and taught to our children, maybe the US should take on the example. But it won't happen.
Thank you for exercising your freedom.

In response, I can look down on you. You're being an immature brat. As an adult, that's a perk.

I'm sure you've decided to sneeringly deride my post as a trumpeted American, standing up for what is stupid and wrong in this world. Well, my unrefined young person, I shall answer you thusly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyMRz1hbb4M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSC3hNY8Oa8

Those two videos, done by the marvelous Paddy Chayefsky, is a stark example of this very discussion.
Aah. Immature brat for having a different view on things, primarily my view being "It has happened, you gave them hell, now shut up and have a biscuit". Well you are welcome to your freedom of expression too, but finding a final refuge of personal insult showing just what you think on anyone other than like minded people HAVING that opinion. Well in response: You are like a dog with a bone, immature to a folly for clinging to this aging, stale slight. Confine it to the history books, teach it in schools, but stop ripping open old wounds for the sake of it.
I'm not insulting, I'm stating fact. You've come out on the internet, to mindlessly and shamelessly troll and trample the emotions of people who are grieving. Grieving for lost loved ones, failed attempts to intervene, or possibly because the loss of life was so stunning. Therefor, you are an immature, ignorant, nihilistic brat.

Now if you care to respond at all to either of the two videos I posted, as a summation of you're viewpoints, I'd be happy to debate you. However, if you have nothing substantive to add, other then issuing callous remarks to grieving citizens of a country, then I would suggest you perhaps do so at O'Leary's Pub, on 121st and Broadway, NY, NY, tomorrow, at 11:00AM sharp. That's where I, and several other fire fighters, police officers, first responders, and soccer hooligans will be gathering to share our grief and remember our good times, by knocking back a few pints. That is if you're not otherwise engaged.

- PS -

Thank you for expressing your freedom.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Derek_the_Dodo said:
You realise that we have remembrance day in November annually that everyone pays tribute to in the form of buying little plastic poppies for charity. And WW2 was over half a century ago. Why shouldn't those affected by the events of 9/11 (yes we are all fully aware that 11/9 is the correct way around to say it in this country, but seeing as the events took place in the US it seems only logical we use their dating system when referring to it) have a day to mourn as well? Especially with the fact that terrorism is still a current issue.
remembrance day commemorates the end of WW1; "the war to end all wars". remembrance day is more symbolic to remember all those who died in service not a specific event.

9/11 is an example of the frenzy in which the media can infuse and the very spiritual side of the U.S. All this faffing around is stupid, if you want to "pay respects" then it a personal thing not something everyone has the endure.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Thank you my British comrade. It's nice to know not everyone outside of America is insensitive when it comes to discussing 9/11 on here.

Derek_the_Dodo

Sep 28, 2010
mad825 said:
Derek_the_Dodo said:
remembrance day commemorates the end of WW1; "the war to end all wars". remembrance day is more symbolic to remember all those who did in service not a specific event.
Ah balls got my history slightly wrong, was never great at it, so thanks for the correction.

And yeah, I knew its a day to remember everyone who has died in service, I just got which war it was wrong.

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
Bradeck said:
Versuvius said:
Bradeck said:
Versuvius said:
Bradeck said:
Versuvius said:
Technically its 11/9. And personally i think "get over it". It's happened, it's been, it's gone, you have given the terrorist organisation supposedly responsible hell via your military and shot bin laden. Give us all an effing break from your sob story. I really couldn't care less about those towers. Hey guy's we got bombed too, the biggest response was our lamenting of the trains running late the day after. That is all.

Edit: Also terrorising the world with your absurd pre-flight checks like a bunch of paranoid children.

Your being the potty government.
Wow. Your arrogance is astounding. I really hope you're 14, or at least still a teen, because if you get to adulthood with that level of insensitivity and phenomenally nihilistic mentality, then you have just doomed yourself to a horribly unhappy future.

Is it too much to ask for you to hold that sort of rhetoric inside, instead of whipping out the e-peen to show us all what a cool anti-hipster elitist you are? God! Your arrogance offends the very fabric of common decency. You are a sad little man, who wants so desperately to be Ricky Fitts from American Beauty.

You sir, are a fool, and a crass example of freedom gone amok. However, I thank you for your comment, with all my heart. As a person who has spent at least 8 years of his life in the service of his country, sometimes is harsher lands, I love it when any person expresses their freedom of speech. Because I KNOW it was GIVEN to you, no matter how undeserving, by better men and women than yourself. Men and Women like me.

Good day sir.
Thank you for exercising your freedom.

In response, I can look down on you. You're being an immature brat. As an adult, that's a perk.

I'm sure you've decided to sneeringly deride my post as a trumpeted American, standing up for what is stupid and wrong in this world. Well, my unrefined young person, I shall answer you thusly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyMRz1hbb4M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSC3hNY8Oa8

Those two videos, done by the marvelous Paddy Chayefsky, is a stark example of this very discussion.
Aah. Immature brat for having a different view on things, primarily my view being "It has happened, you gave them hell, now shut up and have a biscuit". Well you are welcome to your freedom of expression too, but finding a final refuge of personal insult showing just what you think on anyone other than like minded people HAVING that opinion. Well in response: You are like a dog with a bone, immature to a folly for clinging to this aging, stale slight. Confine it to the history books, teach it in schools, but stop ripping open old wounds for the sake of it.
I'm not insulting, I'm stating fact. You've come out on the internet, to mindlessly and shamelessly troll and trample the emotions of people who are grieving. Grieving for lost loved ones, failed attempts to intervene, or possibly because the loss of life was so stunning. Therefor, you are an immature, ignorant, nihilistic brat.

Now if you care to respond at all to either of the two videos I posted, as a summation of you're viewpoints, I'd be happy to debate you. However, if you have nothing substantive to add, other then issuing callous remarks to grieving citizens of a country, then I would suggest you perhaps do so at O'Leary's Pub, on 121st and Broadway, NY, NY, tomorrow, at 11:00AM sharp. That's where I, and several other fire fighters, police officers, first responders, and soccer hooligans will be gathering to share our grief and remember our good times, by knocking back a few pints. That is if you're not otherwise engaged.

- PS -

Thank you for expressing your freedom.
Due to time constraints of it being 3am i will keep this final bit short.

Trolling implies i do something for a reaction, not true, couldn't care less either way but as is with anything not everyone can agree on the same thing or be as emotionally hung up for faceless people in an event that happened thousands of miles away in retaliation to an occupying force. Trampling on emotions? After ten years if it's still a major factor in your life a serious reorganisation of priorities is a must. But what i think is pointles so i will bid you adieu to wallow in your grief for another decade, maybe by then someone will have thought about side-lining it for the here and now.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Versuvius said:
Incidentally this 'disregard for human life' as a basis for anger is just a wee bit monotonous. The dead don't get upset over the likes of my opinions and in the grand scheme no one means anything. Not me, no one. Shed a tear when it happens and move on. If you want to spend ten years having a gripe certainly don't televise it for all the world to see, and get sick of seeing.
No, but the relatives of the dead do get rather pissed off when you tell them to get over it. Why? If you don't want to remember and you wanna move on, fine go ahead. But you really shouldn't be ruining this day for those of us who want to honor the dead.

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
After 9/11 first occurred, The American National Anthem was played at Buckingham Palace in Britain. One person described it as such, "If nations are people and anthems are their lullabies, then here was Mother England singing to her grieving American child."

Personally, I think there couldn't be an analogy more apt.

To my British brothers, thank you for everything you've done for us over the many years. We've had our differences, but my respect for you will know no bounds.

And to Versuvius, while your unfortunate disregard for human life or the emotions of others disheartens me (indeed, your statements are a shining example of the Monkeysphere), I wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
I thank ye, old brother to our East.
If not for you, where would we have spawned? Your starting ideals of democracy by your philosophers opened gateways for our establishment. Your settlers who came forth who, in turn, have produced the offspring of future generations that run through many a strong American's bloodstream.
As previously mentioned, we are brothers, with our youthful tussles, and beginning disagreements that eventually turned into an established brotherhood of friendship and aid. As I raise my corporately mass-manufactured drink to you, my brother, I thank you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwrX-LN9-L0

Generalzdave

Oct 4, 2010
To Arbi Trax, thank you for saying that. It does a person good to hear someone from the UK who doesn't generalize and assume that we aren't all Yosemite Sam crossed with Toby Keith. To Bradeck, if what you say is true, then thank you for your service and your strong feeling of respect for the victims.

To Versuvius, you do have a right to your opinion, and I'm glad you do. Believe me, the bullheadedness with which the media puts 9/11 across is be exasperating to almost everyone else, but we put up with it out of respect for the dead. I think this can be blown somewhat out of proportion sometimes, and I think the grieving should be more personal. I can't speak for every American, but I think most of us would be sensitive enough to grieve for the UK over any terrorism attack. From the evidence that was uncovered from Osama's compound in Abottabad, then something could happen anywhere at any time, something we should have known in 2001.

I realize, for whatever reason you may have, that you are clearly very bitter about a day of mourning for us. I expect the expression of it to decline as time goes on, but my explanation for how long the commemoration has gone on is that we hold grudges longer than others. That's really my only way to explain it, because it sort of surprises me too. If you're being angry at the majority of the population who don't have a deceased loved one from the accident, or who didn't die in service fighting for those who do, then I can at least see where you're coming from, although not commend the strength with which you worded your post. I'm also somewhat surprised with how a simple letter of condolences turned into a debate over how much the actions of an extremist group have been overblown.

If you wish to express your opinion, then please do, partially because it's what forums are for and partially because its what separates people like you and me from the more backward nations and ideals. Bottom line, I think there's a rule that anyone on an internet forum should follow, and that is "If you don't have anything respectful to say, then don't say anything at all." Do they teach that in your schools?

warrcry13

Jun 6, 2010
TheDarkEricDraven said:
Derek_the_Dodo said:
Well said buddy.

Hope that the city of New York gets through today without incident
Do you have to say that? Is it in danger everyday? I mean, what are the chances of another disaster happening on the day?
Actually from what I hear from a friend in South Carolina they broke up a group of terrorists who were planning an anniversary attack. Granted it wasn't in New York.

FeralDynasty

The Lich King
Feb 2, 2010
Thanks OP, although I personally wasn't affected and nobody I knew was it is really great to know that other people see the significance of the cost of human lives. As for American determination, we are willing to go to any lengths to right any wrong commited by anyone not native born TO someone native born. When it comes to the wrongs done BY Americans though... Yeah not so much. The entire Republican party for example.

Flame me, i dare you.

S-Unleashed

May 14, 2009
Cheers my brother. May we all come closer to a world of love, peace,and understanding,

I must tip my hat to the UK. In spite of your bloody history, your were the guys that helped made us into what we are. We have done some really messed up things, but I hope that we can learn from our failures and truly help make a world God wants. A world of love between his kids. We all make the world so let's make it good until Jesus comes back. To people who don't have faith in God and think I'm an idiot, crazy, or anything else. Roll your eyes, and just read my post as a crazy man wanting love and peace.

Jacco

May 1, 2011
Versuvius said:
You know what, the UK was blitzed into oblivion by the germans during the war and we certain as hell don't make a yearly bawww out of it. It is confined to the history books and taught to our children, maybe the US should take on the example. But it won't happen.
There are two things wrong with your statement.

1. That is what will happen here.... after we're 70 years removed from it.

2. The Blitz happened during a time of open warfare.

Those are two vastly important things. Your hatred of the US for whatever reasons you have cloud your opinions and make you bitter and resentful. You are being no better than the Americans you supposedly hate.

Amondren

Oct 15, 2009
I think of 9/11 and it saddens me to my core that many people died in a instant and so close to home. One of the worst outcomes of it was the death that came after, Bin Ladin wasn't good but he didn't deserve death no one does. Although that concept and viewpoint could be thought as childish (the idea of no one dying) by some I stand by it because it's what I believe and hope others to understand and possibly even the world to accomplish someday.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
If you don't mind me saying, I'm a little vexed about the continual 9/11 fixation...to the point where if you walk into an area with lockers, you won't find one labeled 9-1-1. It's nothing personal to those who ARE bothered, but it's psychologically unhealthy to keep this at the same fervor. I...think this is something that should be kept to our own private thoughts now, instead of dredging it up again. It was a harsh time, and our response to it was not our finest hour. Let's allow the dead to rest in peace

General BrEeZy

Jul 26, 2009
*raises mug of milk*
heres to the preservation of righteous works upon this earth. heres to a better future.

well said friend. Godspeed.

Jacco

May 1, 2011
Arbi Trax said:
As an American, I want to, as many have before me, thank you for your sentiments. They do mean quite a bit.

The last ten years have been taxing on everyone. You may not agree with the things we do and we may not agree with yours, but in the end, we are, in a very literal sense, family. There are no other countries in the world that can claim to have the type of relationship the US and UK have. We may fight like siblings and throw the occasional punch, but in the end, the US will back up the UK and vice versa.

Your sentiments simply reaffirm that and make it justifiable and worth it to do so. We Americans are not as oblivious to the rest of the world as it would like to think. We know the 7/7 Attacks happened and can sympathize in a unique way. The only reason 9/11 is made such a bigger deal is because it was on a larger scale. That's not to say that 7/7 was any better or worse, just smaller.

So I thank you for myself and for the hundreds and thousands of Americans like myself who will not read that post. Thank you.

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
I thank you very much for your kind words, OT. It's a refreshing and heartening experience to see such understanding and respect nowadays, especially on the internet.

And to those who are accusing the US of overeacting;

I can see your point. To people from other countries, it must seem like any other attack. And I can understand it must be annoying having to deal with whatever personal issues our rememberance brings up.

But keep in mind that many innocent civilians died in 9/11. Men and women who were just living out their daily lives were killed because an enemy was too cowardly and weak to declare open war on us.
Those victims left behind friends and family who still bear their loss to this day.

9/11 isn't about politics. It's not about war. It's about remembering the lives that were lost, and looking toward the future with the hope that, someday, tragedies like this will stop.

If you don't believe that this is worth the publicity, then that's fine. But please, be respectful to the dead, and the people they left behind.

UnusualStranger

Keep a hat handy
Jan 23, 2010
Thanks for the support good sir. Nice to hear from someone elsewhere throwing some support behind people. While I do hold the view that people don't seem to realize this whole 9/11 nonsense is overused and overdone and exploited by many people and government.

However, again, the support is always good, and while I think we should forget for our own sake, it is good to treat it as history is treated. A lesson to be learned so it is not repeated.