PAX 2011: Sleep Your Way Out Of Trouble In The Old Republic

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
PAX 2011: Sleep Your Way Out Of Trouble In The Old Republic

Not only is seducing characters an option, but it's part of a class's play style.

BioWare's really started to ramp up the the hands-on previews of <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Old-Republic-Pc/dp/B001CWXAP2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1314675979&sr=8-2>Star Wars: The Old Republic for this year's Con Season. While a lot of folks are clearly excited to play as members of the Jedi or Sith orders, there are a lot of other stories to be a part of, both as Republic and Imperial characters. Needless to say, when the developer gave me some time with the upcoming MMO, I jumped at the chance to play as an Imperial Agent, and received more than a couple of (great) surprises for my troubles.

I spent about twenty minutes with the game, which features some suitably impressive technology. The interface is incredibly easy to get ahold of (featuring <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110943-E3-Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic>the same controls and mechanics that Steve Butts dealt with at E3), the graphics look amazing, and the voice acting (which was recorded with several hundred voice actors) is excellent. However, what really left me stunned was how the story unfolds and just what kind of choices I can make along the way.

I started out with a newly-minted Imperial Agent, one who was just embarking on her first mission. After arriving on a backwater planet, she received instructions from her commanding officer to infiltrate the local Hutt's palace under a false identity and subvert his second-in-command to the Imperial cause. This starts out well enough: The local contact who has the cover identity has had it stolen, which means that the Agent has to go out, kill the gang members who took it, and bring it back. After that, she assumes the identity of a known (but never-met) space pirate in order to meet the Hutt.

Once in the Hutt's palace, though, things got interesting. After my meeting with the Hutt, a contact of the pirate my character was impersonating showed up and confronted me with the fact that he knew I was a fraud. The game presented a couple of options: The contact could be paid off to shut up, I could just shoot him, or I could - wait for it - flirt with and then seduce him. I went for the last option and was treated to a scene of the Agent and her new friend walking off, and then her returning alone some time later.

Later on, I spoke to Daniel Erickson, Writing Director of The Old Republic about this. He explained how the Imperial Agent's story is one that's full of intrigue and manipulation, but there are options for a lot of fun. Essentially, players can guide their Agents through the galaxy as straight-up spies, or they can play more of a James Bond role, sometimes using seduction to get what they want.

Needless to say, Star Wars: The Old Republic looks like it's going to include some pretty cool story devices and character moments. Be sure to keep an eye out for the full interview with Daniel Erickson later this week. In the meantime, check out these new screenshots of Imperial Agents in action.

[gallery=450]

Xjin

Jul 7, 2009
Sweet Gods, this makes me more amped to play my Chiss IA I have set my eyes on. That and the devs have all hailed it as an epic story. Sadly thay have not shown a lot about it on the website.

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
Good godly noodles, this game needs to come out.

I mean, at this point I just want the game to come out. The release date doesn't matter, but as long as I know that it IS coming out, eventually, then geez I can wait forever...

BUT that doesn't mean I don't want it to come out in the next 14 years or so, *looking at you, DNF*

Just...BioWare, concentrate on making a good game, EA-stuff it, and until then...I'm good.

cairocat

Oct 9, 2009
Oh, I clicked this thinking that sleep meant sleep, so you sleep in game to get health or whatever. Turns out sleep actually means sex. -__-

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
Xjin said:
Sweet Gods, this makes me more amped to play my Chiss IA I have set my eyes on. That and the devs have all hailed it as an epic story. Sadly thay have not shown a lot about it on the website.
Wait, you can be a Chiss in this game?

Can a male character seduce male NPC's? I've heard some uproar over no same-sex relationships, so I'm guessing no...

Frylock72

Dec 7, 2009
I'd be happier if TOR weren't leashed to Origin, but that's just me talking. I'll reserve judgment for when the game comes out.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Sounds good, I just hope they don't tie it to the dark/light side mechanic.

So basically every time you have the option of seduction it's a light-side choice and the alternative is to kill them or something equally bad.

It'd me much more interesting if they'd let you develop a style for your agents (guns blazing, stealth, seduction etc.) and then confront you with choices that force you to either abandon your style or your morality.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Frylock72 said:
I'd be happier if TOR weren't leashed to Origin, but that's just me talking. I'll reserve judgment for when the game comes out.
It has been said on the official site that the retail version of TOR doesn't have any connection to Origin. Origin is simply the only digital distribution service the game will be available on.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Hagi said:
Sounds good, I just hope they don't tie it to the dark/light side mechanic.

So basically every time you have the option of seduction it's a light-side choice and the alternative is to kill them or something equally bad.

It'd me much more interesting if they'd let you develop a style for your agents (guns blazing, stealth, seduction etc.) and then confront you with choices that force you to either abandon your style or your morality.
I have a feeling that seduction is going to be a neutral option for non-Jedi classes in these situations.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I want this game so bad, it's not helping that two of my friends got into the beta and they keep showing me how awesome it is at every chance they get.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I skimmed the article and my mind latched onto the words "Hutt" and "seduce." I need to scour my brain clean of the mental images that conjured.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
chaosyoshimage said:
Xjin said:
Wait, you can be a Chiss in this game?

Can a male character seduce male NPC's? I've heard some uproar over no same-sex relationships, so I'm guessing no...
According to some VERY shortly lived topics on the official TOR forums from supposed testers supposedly breaking their NDA, there indeed aren't any same gender romances in TOR, making this the first Bioware game in eight years where no such content is present. Quite appalling, really.

But there are also some rumoured whispers that they'll be adding them in ASAP after launch. So... eh? It would be nice if Bioware would stop skirting around the topic and finally give some official answer on this.

Bayushi_Kouya

Mar 31, 2009
IIRC, the objection is on the part of Lucasfilm -- they don't want the controversy that goes with any non-traditional-sexuality-issues. Which seems kind of wussy, to me -- Star Wars as an IP is clearly ready to trample all over itself or any other concept or trope in the name of telling a story, why is sexuality such a hot potato? There's footing for it -- Hutts are biologically supragendered -- they can switch sex like them African frogs mentioned in Jurassic Park.

Personally, I find the description of this situation rather skeevy. Some dude is willing to trade sex for silence? Strains credulity. If it's in his hands, why would he stop with just that? Why not go for the full blackmail package? If it's in the players' hands, how did a guy so dumb that one orgasm is enough to get him forget a potential avalanche of money he could get from his blackmail wind up getting a hold of said blackmail in the first place?

I smell the fetid odor of a compromise solution.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
Haters be hating. This just made me want to play it more. And I had never even considered playing an imperial agent... Now I'll need to think about it for a few seconds first.

Scars Unseen said:
I skimmed the article and my mind latched onto the words "Hutt" and "seduce." I need to scour my brain clean of the mental images that conjured.
Soon you will learn to appreciate me...

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I like it, it's as good of an option as any. Still, there should be an option for actually participating in the act itself, with the ability to fail and its consequences. That way it'd be a choice of what sort of challenge you want, story (shoot), financial (bribe) and gameplay (sex).
Also, if they include this option but no option for homosexuality there's a shitstorm coming their way. I'd love for there to be an option to choose your sexuality in the beginning.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Bayushi_Kouya said:
IIRC, the objection is on the part of Lucasfilm -- they don't want the controversy that goes with any non-traditional-sexuality-issues. Which seems kind of wussy, to me -- Star Wars as an IP is clearly ready to trample all over itself or any other concept or trope in the name of telling a story, why is sexuality such a hot potato? There's footing for it -- Hutts are biologically supragendered -- they can switch sex like them African frogs mentioned in Jurassic Park.

Personally, I find the description of this situation rather skeevy. Some dude is willing to trade sex for silence? Strains credulity. If it's in his hands, why would he stop with just that? Why not go for the full blackmail package? If it's in the players' hands, how did a guy so dumb that one orgasm is enough to get him forget a potential avalanche of money he could get from his blackmail wind up getting a hold of said blackmail in the first place?

I smell the fetid odor of a compromise solution.
I'm thinking the after sex conversation went something like this.

"Ok, now that that's done, you keep quiet and I won't kill you, maybe we do this again some time. You go blabbing and get me killed, the empire will crucify your ass; never forget there are a lot of us and I'm a whole lot better for you to have as a friend and alive, then dead and the empire as your enemy."

Personally, I'd just kill him. Spies can suffer no loose secrets.

Clonekiller

Dec 7, 2010
So much for the RPG elements being "tacked on". Thank you E3 critics. Told ya BioWare would come through, in the RPG department if nothing else.