EA Planning Mirror's Edge Trilogy

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
EA Planning Mirror's Edge Trilogy

The highly-anticipated Mirror's Edge hasn't even launched yet, and trilogy talk is already the air.

Gamers have yet to get their hands on EA's upcoming AusGamers [http://www.mirrorsedge.com/], EA DICE senior producer Owen O'Brien indicated the forthcoming first-person action platformer set to ship next month will be the first installment in a Mirror's Edge trilogy.

"The story we're telling at the moment is kind of a trilogy, a three-story arc," said O'Brien in a video interview. "I think there's a lot of scope to take the story in different directions, or maybe tell someone else's story. But certainly for these first couple games, it's all about Faith. It's all about her experience in the world."

O'Brien went on to talk about plans to include a fully-featured level editor in the yet-to-be-announced sequel. The goal, he said, is to make the editor as easy and intuitive for players, but it's something that will take some time to develop and implement.

Planning a full three-part series around a new IP that has yet to be successfully tested in - and survive - the gauntlet of public opinion is a bold move, but the game certainly does quite a few things differently. Providing you've stocked up on plenty of Dramamine, a Mirror's Edge trilogy might be just what the doctor ordered.

Mirror's Edge will launch on Nov. 11 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. The PC version is slated to ship later this year.

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
Take your trilogies and stuff em where the sun don't shine. Why is it always a trilogy? Why not 2, or 4?

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Does anyone even understand how to write a trilogy anymore? First book = stand alone product. Based on sales and user response, you then calculate how many sequels you can produce. You don't start off yapping about how you're going to make 3 games for a new IP before you even know if anyone cares.

And Tolkein started with The Hobbit, before anyone brings up LOTR.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Everything's a fucking trilogy these days. Mass Effect? Trilogy. Assassin's Creed? Trilogy. Barbie Riding Horse Adventures? Trilogy...probably.

Can we have more stand alone games with satisfying stories? Please?

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
It's EA. Once they have a successful product, they start making sequels (by re-releasing it under different titles) at the rate of once a year, and blaming the developers once gamers catch on and stop buying them. What do you expect?

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
A promising game is turned into a trilogy by EA... Why am I not surprised? I just had to learn to not count the rest of the trilogy as part of the same game, in fear of ruining the game before. Exception comes to several games in my mind first of them being Prince of persia. I don't really see anything wrong with trilogies of good stuff either. If it's bad, no need to buy, if it's good then whippeeee!. What really gets on my nerves is when crap games get sequels, cause sequels are made to suck out what's left of the life of the game, but some game developers seem to be trying get drops of water from old crumpled up leaves set on fire.

D.C.

Oct 8, 2008
This is a schocker from EA, i was expecting them to announce Mirrors Edge would become a yearly product, the same thing as the previous year, just with different teams and stats. Just like most EA games.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
SecretTacoNinja post=7.74064.820894 said:
Didn't this happen with Too Human as well?

Oh dear...
I knew there was one I missed.

Melaisis post=7.74064.821629 said:
I hope this doesn't reflect on EA's other titles.
Took me a moment to get that one, very well done.

wilsonscrazybed

thinking about your ugly face
Dec 16, 2007
Isn't that saying "If this game doesn't sell, prepare to be disappointed by us going back on our word?"

Something about not counting your chickens before they hatch comes to mind.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I see whut u did thar!

More EA fail. Shouldn't we start some kind of watchdog group to Boycott EA's games? I don't like EA but the problem is they hide themselves in alot of big name titles... Man they're in the news alot lately aren't they?

Bitches are taking advantage of the Economic crisis to gobble up competition.

pjhardly

Oct 15, 2008
speaking of Mirror's Edge, they are releasing an accompanying Remix EP. The focus will the the game's theme song, "Still Alive" and features 5 remixes from some of music's biggest names!

im excited and can't wait till it drops November 11th!

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I'm sad now. I was looking forward to Mirrors Edge, but a) EA's DRM bull-poo will be on the damn code, so I won't be buying it, and b) The story will be broken into 3 random pieces against its will.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I see what you did there...

And yes, why the hell is it always a freakin' trilogy?

Splitter

Jul 10, 2008
On the subject on trilogies I think Oddworld had a better idea.
Quintology, with 5 different protagonists, and maybe characters from previous part.
Plus "bonus games" to develop individual characters more, show a side that wouldn't come out in the main story.
Shame they decided to quit making games after the second part of it.

However I don't think trilogys are necessarily a bad thing, but you can see that all games are planned out to be one. The main problem with this is when they get to three they'll decide to make an irrevelant 4th part to get extra cash, or a prequel of sorts.

Sir_Montague

Oct 6, 2008
If it must be a trilogy... I want it to Quentin Tarantino Style... Ugh. Jk, no I'm just sick of the idea of a trilogy right now... Let's see... Mass Effect= Trilogy, Too Human= Trilogy... What else is a trilogy these days? Halo? Oh yeah, you bet. Gears? Probably a trilogy... But who knows?! Maybe not! HAHA!