Best RPG Ever Available for Free Download

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Best RPG Ever Available for Free Download

The first computer RPG to do more than simulate whacking orcs is free right now on Good Old Games.

1985 was a free-wheeling era. Marty McFly urged us all to go back in time, Reagan and Gorby were courting one another and Wall Street's excess was riding high. In contrast, the burgeoning videogame market was mostly comprised of platformers, shoot 'em ups and text adventures, so the industry was primed for Lord British, aka Richard Garriott, to bring the the world Ultima IV. Due to modern operating systems not being compatible with Apple II OS, we gamers haven't been able to enjoy the glory of Garriott's masterpiece, especially since any hacked versions on the web were brought down in March at the request of EA, who owns the IP. EA must have reached a deal because as of today, Ultima IV is available at Good Old Games [http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/ultima_4]. The best part? It's absolutely free. Now that is a virtue.

The compelling RPG Ultima IV: Avatar blended text and graphics built around playing the most virtuous character possible to become the Avatar instead of just killing doodz. After all the bad guys were killed in the first three games, Lord British calls for an individual to master the eight virtues to live as an example to the people fo the newly formed nation of Brittania.

Ultima IV cemented the reputation of the series and catapulted Garriott to the upper echelons of game design. Garriott was inducted into the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences' Hall of Fame in 2006.

There's no word on whether Ultima IV will be free on GOG.com forever, so you might as well head over there and download it now. That is, if you have a spare 25 megabytes available on your hard drive.

Source: GOG.com [http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/ultima_4]

Tahmoh

Sep 1, 2008
Doubt its the best rpg ever since rpg's are still being made and quite a few are better than ultima 4, but its still a classic of the genre and definitly worth the 25meg download size :)

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Ultima IV is the best RPG ever? I beg to fucking differ.

I mean, calling Baulder's Gate or KotOR the best RPG ever, I can see, but Ultima...ehhh.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
now I feel old!

(and no it's not then best, many be first would have been a better choice of word?!)

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
25 megs of space needed? Ah shit, I'll have to clear some stuff.

Oh wait, it's not the crappy old days anymore. Good.

Wait, I'm on a Mac, fuck...

Oh well, cool for them to do anyway. I think they should do a re-release compilation of the whole series and extra features.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Macgyvercas said:
Ultima IV is the best RPG ever? I beg to fucking differ.

I mean, calling Baulder's Gate or KotOR the best RPG ever, I can see, but Ultima...ehhh.
I think what he means by "best RPG ever" is that Ultima 4 is to RPGs what Doom was to FPSs

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
O come on I can't spare 25 on my HDD not even my last game went over 8,5 (Deus ex:HR) how can a game that old even have fitted on a hdd of the time?

O wait sorry missed Mb I thought of course that it was Gb.../end sarcasm

Still nice, old classic I heard about often but never tried I might give it a shot...

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
only thing i recall about the ultima games was how bloody hard they were. Well ultima and zork were two that no matter what i did seemed they was just something i was missing.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Dang....I remember playing this when I was 10 on my brother's knock off apple computer. Don't think I ever beat it either. Never could find the abyss. Ahh....fond memories.

SachielOne

Former Escapecraft Op
Aug 10, 2009
My advice to you younger players: Bring a walkthrough, or at least a pad of paper and a pen. This is not your current-day RPG, with a log detailing your quests and your destination marked on a minimap. You're going to be searching for people and places based solely on information you get from NPCs.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
SachielOne said:
My advice to you younger players: Bring a walkthrough, or at least a pad of paper and a pen. This is not your current-day RPG, with a log detailing your quests and your destination marked on a minimap. You're going to be searching for people and places based solely on information you get from NPCs.
It comes with a cluebook,spellbook,map,and the manual.
I think I'm covered.

OT:Just got it,nice to see that I can get more free games!

slavec

Mar 27, 2009
Sweet, I always wanted to give Ultima a try. Guess this is the perfect opportunity.

SachielOne said:
Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind. I suppose all information is told to you only once.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

And Ultimas 1, 2, and 3 are available for only 6 bucks?!?! This is a very good day for me. Here's hoping they come out with the rest of the games soon... I've been wanting to try these for awhile now.

Clonekiller

Dec 7, 2010
Sorry, I upgraded to 3D graphical technology eight or so years ago. Since then my nostalgia level hasn't been high enough to convince me to play these "greatest games ever". Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some Fallout to go play.