Best RPG Ever Available for Free Download

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
Ultima 4 is the best RPG ever? I don't even consider it the best of the series. So in conclusion, YOUR OPINION IS WRONG!

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Ultima 5 is the best, but 4 was pretty damn groundbreaking for its time. And there STILL hasn't been another game with as deep a morality system.
I'm pretty sure your hand slipped with a 5 instead of a 6.

I actually have a copy of the the Ultima collection on CD, but I can't install it anymore as I can't figure out which program I have to uninstall to install the games.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I really enjoyed Ultima IV on the Commodore 64 way-back-when, but it's hard for me to imagine playing a game like that now, especially if it's the 1985 version (which on the PC would mean that it was either dead silent or used the *cough* limited sounds available to the PC's internal speaker... Sound cards didn't really start coming into their own until about 1990.)

I don't mean to dissuade anyone; it really was a milestone of a game. Just be prepared, between the interface, the graphics, and the sound (or lack thereof) for a kind of culture shock.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
Fusioncode9 said:
CannibalCorpses said:
Fusioncode9 said:
YOUR OPINION IS WRONG!
Your opinion can never be wrong, misguided or misinformed but never wrong because your opinion is your opinion.
I'm guessing you missed the obvious sarcasm.
Doh...sorry! I've been on a serious thread all day and am feeling all defensive from the insults and idiocy i've seen. Starting to remember why i dont do conversations with people i can't grab hold of and punch lol. People tend to be less aggressive in person :p

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
vxicepickxv said:
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Ultima 5 is the best, but 4 was pretty damn groundbreaking for its time. And there STILL hasn't been another game with as deep a morality system.
I'm pretty sure your hand slipped with a 5 instead of a 6.

I actually have a copy of the the Ultima collection on CD, but I can't install it anymore as I can't figure out which program I have to uninstall to install the games.
6 was a better game mechanically but it didn't have anywhere near as compelling a story as 5. The gargoyles as misundersood aliens just weren't as interesting as Blackthorn or the Shadowlords. The Shadowlords actually were scary and the effects they had on townspeople was something unique. The fact that they showed up but you couldn't possibly beat them gave them the "darth vader" aura of menace that made you dread the pc speaker whine when they were in a town.

6 was groundbreaking in the lack of "loading" between towns and wilderness, the contiguous world was truly a feat for the technology of the time. Also I'm pretty sure it was the first example of controllable party AI that games followed for years to come along with the real-time/pause combat system that defined 7 and was perfected in the infinity engine for baldurs gate the rest of that generation.

So I agree that 6 was a very important game but it wasn't anywhere near as tight as 5.

Yvl9921

Our Sweet Prince
Apr 4, 2009
Well played, Mr. Tito. I thought nothing you said could ever make up for your praise of WoW 3.2, but you just did.

tcurt

Jan 28, 2010
Zerbye said:
This game was not restricted to the Apple II...I had the PC version on floppy (the big floppies). Then there's the Nintendo version. Anyways, this is not the first time PC gamers had legal access to Ultima IV.
Very true. I think Origin (the other one) or EA released the boxed set some years back containing all the DOS versions of Ultima together. I should know. It's around here somewhere. It didn't contain the FPS versions, that came repackaged seperately and is also on a shelf around here.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
GrayJester said:
Awesome game. Picked it up a while ago. Brilliant idea (virtues mechanics), dreadful (by modern standards) UI and graphics. Conclusion: need a remake. Not by EA, though.
Indie devs, anyone?
Kinda sorta tried that and they were smacked down by EA's unmerciful law division.

Of the series, the 7s were the best, both in terms of scope and visually (of course they don't hold up all that well, but that didn't stop me from playing them again just a year ago).

I already own the compilation that has all but 9 on a disc. Nice that GOG made it a lot easier to install and play though.

Chadling

Oct 8, 2008
Okay, perhaps it's not the best RPG ever. However, no one can deny that Ultima IV has the Best. Karma. System. EVER.

I have yet to play a game that comes even close to matching the complexity and realism of the Eight Virtues.

Clonekiller

Dec 7, 2010
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
Clonekiller said:
Llil said:
Well, you can't beat that price. I've never played the Ultima games, but I'm going to have to try this one. I'm always interested in the classics. That virtue thing sounds much more interesting than the standard "bad guy wants to take over the world, go kill him".

Clonekiller said:
Sorry, I upgraded to 3D graphical technology eight or so years ago. Since then my nostalgia level hasn't been high enough to convince me to play these "greatest games ever". Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some Fallout to go play.
Fallout isn't 3D, if that's what you're saying. But it sure is one of the "greatest games ever".
Correction: Fallout: New Vegas. Happy?
Can I be put on record as digging the hell out of BOTH "Ultima 4" and "Fallout: New Vegas"? Some of us old-timers just like games because they're, you know, really good. No matter what era they come from.
I'd go on to list KOTOR, Mass Effect, Deus Ex HR, & Dragon Age, but I get the feeling that would be pointless. Ah well, guess I will anyway.

Eggbert

Jun 9, 2010
Trogdor1138 said:
Wait, I'm on a Mac, fuck...

Oh well, cool for them to do anyway. I think they should do a re-release compilation of the whole series and extra features.
I have an application for you: Wineskin Winery. It's free, it emulates Windows using Wine, and it's pretty easy. The only issue is that some GOG stuff doesn't work with Wine (Fallout (2) have an impossibly slow cursor), so you'll need to check if something works using the App database on the Wine HQ.

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
Tiamat666 said:
I might have missed something, but I remember U4 being made free for download on an EA related site a long time ago.
They did, but now it's bundled with Origin.