90s Cartoons That Have Aged Well

Joseph Bradley

Aug 14, 2017
What are some 90s cartoons that you feel have aged well?

For me, there are the obvious ones

Batman: The Animated Series
Animaniacs
Tiny Toon Adventures
Rocko's Modern Life
Gargoyles
The Simpsons (Most specifically Seasons 2-8)
Hey Arnold!
The Powerpuff Girls (Seasons 1-4)

But there's also another show that isn't as obvious that I feel like has aged very well. I just started rewatching it recently on a bootleged DVD I got recently at Boston Comic Con and it's really good.

The show is

Eek! The Cat

That cartoon is a brilliant cartoon featuring a lovable main character. I love Eek's positive attidude and cheerfulness. It has great slapstick, great pop culture references, and witty humor for both kids and adults. It may not be as good as Batman or Animaniacs, but it's a dang good show indeed.

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
EXO Squad still holds up.
Freekazoid still fun.
The Critic
Early Simpson.
Daria

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
<---------This is getting to be my trademark, but... Beast Wars.

Funnily enough, I got into a conversation at work about Transformers the other day, and everyone in my immediate area loved BW too.

More arguably, Reboot and Shadow Raiders. Mainframe Entertainment really knew their stuff then despite CGI animation being in its infancy. We'll just forget that Weird-Ohs and Insektors didn't go over as well and got cancelled fast.

As for non-CGI stuff not already mentioned (come to think of it it did have a bit of CGI in there but not much), Spider-Man TAS. The only series that even compares is Spectacular Spider-Man.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Joseph Bradley said:

There was a Superman series by the same makers. They did one episode with the Parasite that was chilling. They also made a Superman/Batman team up movie that was better than Dawn of Justice. (though it often seemed to confuse Batman's abilities with Spiderman's. No, a human being cannot jump, from stopped, standing position, 4 feet into the air going a dozen feet across a room). But B&S's first confrontation? Spectacular.

Samtemdo8 said:
Dexter's Laboratory Seasons 1 and 2 and the Ego Trip Movie.
Is this 90s or 2000 on? Cuz Johnny Bravo, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Samuri Jack and Power Puff girls, all from the same era, all very smart and different. (I am still know to sing Omelette du framage in the shower to this day).

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Gorfias said:
Joseph Bradley said:

There was a Superman series by the same makers. They did one episode with the Parasite that was chilling. They also made a Superman/Batman team up movie that was better than Dawn of Justice. (though it often seemed to confuse Batman's abilities with Spiderman's. No, a human being cannot jump, from stopped, standing position, 4 feet into the air going a dozen feet across a room). But B&S's first confrontation? Spectacular.

Samtemdo8 said:
Dexter's Laboratory Seasons 1 and 2 and the Ego Trip Movie.
Is this 90s or 2000 on? Cuz Johnny Bravo, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Samuri Jack and Power Puff girls, all from the same era, all very smart and different. (I am still know to sing Omelette du framage in the shower to this day).
Dexter's Lab was of the 90s, I think 96 or 97.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Only came into this thread to say Gargoyles. Saw it was already mentioned by the OP. Faith in humanity restored.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Darkwing Duck is still fun. And Cow & Chicken actually improves as you get older.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
The Maxx is, while obscure, still highly watchable.

Batman Animated, Daria and Gargoyles as well. They could as well be called the blueprint from which a lot of TV stuff evolved.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Recess and The Weekenders are still funny.

Edit: Darn it, those are actually kind of late once I look it up. Recess just gets in, but Weekenders misses the decade by two months.

Ogoid

Nov 5, 2009
Most others I remember were already mentioned, so... Aeon Flux.

Well, the third "season", anyway. The first two were a bit too abstract and plotless for my tastes (even though Peter Chung's particular brand of weird futuristic aesthetics still looks good to me), but the third is up there with my all-time favorite TV shows.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
WhiteFangofWhoa said:
<---------This is getting to be my trademark, but... Beast Wars.

Funnily enough, I got into a conversation at work about Transformers the other day, and everyone in my immediate area loved BW too.

More arguably, Reboot and Shadow Raiders. Mainframe Entertainment really knew their stuff then despite CGI animation being in its infancy. We'll just forget that Weird-Ohs and Insektors didn't go over as well and got cancelled fast.

As for non-CGI stuff not already mentioned (come to think of it it did have a bit of CGI in there but not much), Spider-Man TAS. The only series that even compares is Spectacular Spider-Man.
I never got into Transformers, but I loved Beast Wars. Probably cause I love animals but dont care for cars or trucks.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I still think that Swat Kats is one of the most bad-ass shows that ever graced the airwaves of Cartoon Network and I still enjoy Tale Spin from time to time.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
madwarper said:
To add, 90's X-Men, Pinky and the Brain and Captain Simian and the Space Monkeys.
later seasons of Xmen ran out of budget when Marvel went bankrupt. And it shows

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Someone else already said it, but Beast Wars really holds up despite it's dated animation. Really strong writing.

I'll throw this one out there: Digimon Adventure, the first season. It's fantastic in the way the stakes keep getting raised with each new big bad.