90's music compared to today's

cas

Mar 27, 2009
i like smashing pumpkins thats about it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHUd896Sur0

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
If I'm not mistaken, the 90s gave us Tool, and if that is so, I forgive every musical mishap of that decade.
EDIT:
I just looked it up, and as it turns out, Tool started in 1990. I now forgive the 90s of all its bastardized music, as Tool more than makes up for it.

Gitsnik

May 13, 2008
Good morning blues said:
Popular music now sucks complete ass. Popular music in the 90s sucked complete ass. There are a few exceptions - back then we had Radiohead, and now we have MIA, for instance - but popular music is generally a wasteland and you're very lucky if you find anything on the radio that isn't utter shit no matter what decade you're listening in.
Amen.

Bring back the 80's (Edit: and some of the 70's). THAT was real metal, real rock, hell even real pop.

Though admittedly 1989 was a bad year. Ice Ice babbehhh. It is shameful to think that my generation (22 in a couple of days) and those younger than me grew up surrounded by such gems as Britney Spears, Hanson, the Spice Girls and the Backstreet Boys.

I'm living in the past, and I'm proud of it. Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Motley Crew, Black Sabbath. Real Music, from an excellent time.

Edit: Only exception, I like some of the grunge scene.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Gitsnik said:
Good morning blues said:
Popular music now sucks complete ass. Popular music in the 90s sucked complete ass. There are a few exceptions - back then we had Radiohead, and now we have MIA, for instance - but popular music is generally a wasteland and you're very lucky if you find anything on the radio that isn't utter shit no matter what decade you're listening in.
Amen.

Bring back the 80's (Edit: and some of the 70's). THAT was real metal, real rock, hell even real pop.

Though admittedly 1989 was a bad year. Ice Ice babbehhh. It is shameful to think that my generation (22 in a couple of days) and those younger than me grew up surrounded by such gems as Britney Spears, Hanson, the Spice Girls and the Backstreet Boys.

I'm living in the past, and I'm proud of it. Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Motley Crew, Black Sabbath, Pantera. Real Music, from an excellent time.

Since you forgot one, I took the liberty of adding it for you.

Gitsnik

May 13, 2008
-Zen- said:
Gitsnik said:
Good morning blues said:
Amen.

I'm living in the past, and I'm proud of it. Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Motley Crew, Black Sabbath, Pantera. Real Music, from an excellent time.

Since you forgot one, I took the liberty of adding it for you.
How kind of you, but we forgot Guns and Roses as well. And so many others - Megadeth and Metallica's early works for example.

fedpayne

Sep 4, 2008
Bulletmagnet125 said:
I prefer the 90's in the music genre I really like Alice in chains and other hard rock music like that. Really today's music doesn't compare at all to the music of yester-year and should be ashamed.

What is your opinion on the subject? "Do you like music from Today or the past?"
Oh Jesus, I mean, really, how old are you? Grow up. This applies to everyone. People saying 'the further back you go the better you get'. That is just a ridiculous statement.

It all depends completely on what you like, and trust me: you can find whatever you want from whenever you want. There has never been a time that has been totally musically dead, and now is certainly not an exception. As a fan of folk music, there is a great scene in London at the moment and my love for the Blues is being catered for by Seasick Steve, who is one of the more original and talented artists in my library.

All this 'Oooh, rock n' roll was better before I was alive' stuff makes me cringe.

CIA

Sep 11, 2008
-Zen- said:
If I'm not mistaken, the 90s gave us Tool, and if that is so, I forgive every musical mishap of that decade.
EDIT:
I just looked it up, and as it turns out, Tool started in 1990. I now forgive the 90s of all its bastardized music, as Tool more than makes up for it.
I wholeheartedly agree my fellow escapee.

If you speak in verse others sometimes get terse.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Gitsnik said:
How kind of you, but we forgot Guns and Roses as well. And so many others - Megadeth and Metallica's early works for example.
How perplexing that we did. Well, I did. You remembered to add them. I wonder who else needs mentioning...

Lukirre

Feb 24, 2009
Bulletmagnet125 said:
TheBluesader said:
Why do you think 90s music is better? I know it's all subjective, but I don't see an argument here.
Well to put it lightly, The music from the 90's had more thought and depth to to it instead of making a quick buck and crying about how life sucks... atleast the artist from the 90's did something about life sucking ;l
I may not like Rise Against, but their lyrics are very activist, so they kind of go against what you're saying. Also, you're only looking at mainstream music that's around these days.

It's one thing to claim that mainstream music these days is all whiny, but it's another to claim that /all/ of it is whiny.

If you look hard enough, you can find music that carries a lot of meaning and depth.

I can see why you'd think what you do, though. There are a lot of bands out today that constantly release the same "sadness" crap over and over again, with no real direction in their music.

BardSeed

Aug 4, 2008
The 90's isn't a decade that jumps out at me for great music. There are always great bands in each decade; although, I can't think of any popular bands that are great for this decade. We had Hendrix and the doors in the 60's, Zeppelin in the 70's, Metallica in the 80's... We can't forget all the great blues at the start of the century, either!

If you like metal, I recommend skeletonwitch. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SbWReB_qoU&feature=PlayList&p=F6E0ECB0F6D3B574&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=49]

Mokinokaro

Just plain crazy
Mar 27, 2009
Most 90s music was really just a continuation of the 80s trends, until Nirvana (and Garbage, etc.) popularized grunge.

The 90s was honestly full of a lot of garbage as well. We're just filtering it out. Late 70s, early 80s was the best time for metal, though. That's really where Metallic, AC/DC and the like hit their stride. Most of what those bands released in the 90s was crap.

That being said, OK Computer came out in the 90s as well as the Foo Fighters taking off (after the smart name change from the Rainbow Butt Monkeys,) so I can't hate all of the music that came out then.

EnzoHonda

Mar 5, 2008
Mokinokaro said:
That being said, OK Computer came out in the 90s as well as the Foo Fighters taking off (after the smart name change from the Rainbow Butt Monkeys,) so I can't hate all of the music that came out then.
Finger Eleven was once known as the Rainbow Butt Monkeys.

I would argue that all decades are great, the only difference is the amount of shitty that resided in the decade and how opposed you were to it. Example: I was ok with disco, therefore the 70s didn't suck as much as the 90s which had a whole lot of shitty pop that seemed impossible to avoid.

Noamuth

May 16, 2008
.. Eh.

I grew up on terrible 90's pop mostly, before I started listening to rock/metal in 2001, and most of my favourite metal bands started getting good around then too. So I have very little love for 90's music.

Not Good

Sep 17, 2008
I have this strange feeling that as the decades progress, The bar for when music went to shit is gonna move along with the times. I recall my parents and an Uncle saying that the 80s was the end of the good music. I put the bar at 1995; there you had your N*SYNC and your Backstreet Boys and your Jay-Z fucking up what is otherwise an honorable set of genres.

Then again, some of Dissection's releases were in that period so I don't know. Wait now I have it.

I think it varies from genre to genre. Rap went to shit after Tupac and Biggie were offed. Punk went to shit around that time thanks to Kurt killing himself (inb4 hurr courtney love hurr durr). However, the 90's was the growth of Death and Black Metal after the death of hair metal with some *ahem* other genres that I don't particularly like, gaining popularity. Another negative is Metallica, which was very influential, and Megadeth, not as influental but still a worthwhile example, going mainstream. Much of what they've produced sans Megadeth's two most recent albums and Death Magnetic (Possibly) Has been shit.

But really one can never really find the real line of shttiness.

Bulletinmybrain

Jun 22, 2008
Not Good said:
I have this strange feeling that as the decades progress, The bar for when music went to shit is gonna move along with the times. I recall my parents and an Uncle saying that the 80s was the end of the good music. I put the bar at 1995; there you had your N*SYNC and your Backstreet Boys and your Jay-Z fucking up what is otherwise an honorable set of genres.

Then again, some of Dissection's releases were in that period so I don't know. Wait now I have it.

I think it varies from genre to genre. Rap went to shit after Tupac and Biggie were offed. Punk went to shit around that time thanks to Kurt killing himself (inb4 hurr courtney love hurr durr). However, the 90's was the growth of Death and Black Metal after the death of hair metal with some *ahem* other genres that I don't particularly like, gaining popularity. Another negative is Metallica, which was very influential, and Megadeth, not as influental but still a worthwhile example, going mainstream. Much of what they've produced sans Megadeth's two most recent albums and Death Magnetic (Possibly) Has been shit.

But really one can never really find the real line of shttiness.
Metallica are getting old. Just take a look at lars, He is forty fucking six.

Of course the music won't be the same..

Mokinokaro

Just plain crazy
Mar 27, 2009
EnzoHonda said:
Finger Eleven was once known as the Rainbow Butt Monkeys.
Yeah. Was thinking of the wrong band.

The 80s is my bad spot for music even though I grew up during them. I wasn't a huge fan of most of the new wave pop music so I mostly listened to metal and 60-70s stuff. The rock scene changed quite a bit in the 90s and I did like a lot of what came out then (Foo Fighters, Matthew Good Band, Radiohead, etc.)

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
A lot of good things came out in the 90s. A lot of bad things came out in the 90s.

I tend to like the grunge that came out.
I don't like the NSYNC shit that came out.
I love Tool and NIN, which got big in the mid/late 90's...

I dunno, it's better than most of the things that I see today, that's for sure.