90s Nostalgia Soda SURGE Returns as Amazon Exclusive

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I managed to score two packs before it sold out. I'm looking forward to a nostalgia trip so intense that it'll elevate me to a higher plane of existence.

I just hope my mere mortal form can handle it.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
Hey Bob, if you were aware, as it seems you were at the end of the article that you could no longer purchase the SURGE, then why use the present perfect form of the word return to indicate that the sale of SURGE was an ongoing thing so that when a person franticly click to find out where, OH WHERE, has my little SURGE gone only to find that SURGE had "went" on sale and is now only one more ephemeral dream of a 90's kid re-created and then destroyed once again by non-specific grammar.

Auninteligentname

Jun 12, 2011
Surge? I recognized the logo as "Urge" a drink that is rather common in Norway. So I went to the almighty wikipedia, and found out that Norway is actually the only country in which Urge is currently sold.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
Surge was popular in the 90's? Odd. I...don't remember seeing it at all. Or hearing about it. I've heard it referenced on the internet a couple times over the years though.

Chimichanga

Jun 27, 2009
I find this bizarre. As a kid of the 90s, I remember Surge well, and it was shit - I recall throwing up after 2 cans of the stuff just from the amount of sugar in them. Granted, back then I was only 7 but compared to other sodas it felt like somebody just dumped an entire pack of sugar and caffeine in lime water.

EDIT: Thus, I have no idea why anyone would have any nostalgia for this crap. It was essentially like the soda equivalent of the Dark Age for comics, it was a phase where soft drink companies were trying to trump each other over who could produce the "MOST X-TREME!!!!" sugar-drink.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I was going to say "was someone crying for a return of this," but apparently there was. Um...okay. Well, wish granted. Happy days are here again for those people, enjoy them.

Amazon, if I may be so bold as to suggest your next thing like this, ECTO COOLER. You know what you have to do.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
MovieBob said:
In 1997, Coca-Cola launched Surge, a high-caffeine citrus soda meant as a competitor to Pepsi's market-dominating Mountain Dew
This never made any sense to me. Coke already had "Mellow Yellow" as its Mountain Dew equivalent. Why did they need another? All Mellow Yellow needed was a similar PR campaign to Mountain Dew and it would have been fine.

Not that I'm complaining - Surge was pretty tasty, and I wouldn't mind if it hit shelves again. I didn't like it well enough to order it off of Amazon, though, so... **shrug**

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
I remember when the stuff came out in Norway - under the name 'Urge'.

I was working at a small-town video store at the time. Once, I overheard a patron telling a couple of his friends that he worked at a Coca Cola bottling plant - and that the Urge dripping onto the floor there had, after just a couple of months, already eaten deep holes in the concrete! (Decades of plain ol' Coke dripping onto the same floor had done nothing to it.)

(Incidentally, the stuff is still sold here!)

Silvianoshei

May 26, 2011
Surge...wow, talk about a nostalgia trip. I bet you anything it doesn't taste half as good as it used to when we were young and had unrefined palates.