Girls Get to Play in NHL 12

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Girls Get to Play in NHL 12

A letter from a 14-year-old hockey fan has convinced EA Sports to add female avatars to NHL 12.

It's a little known secret that girls like to play hockey. They're not very good at it, what with being girls and all, but they do their best and they have fun and for them, that's what really counts. But when they play hockey videogames, they're forced to play as men; in-game avatars in EA Sports NHL series, for instance, are fully customizable but the base the model has always been a big, burly, bruiser of a man.

But that's not the case in the new NHL 12 [http://www.amazon.com/NHL-12-Xbox-360/dp/B004WL4LWQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315847609&sr=8-1], thanks to the efforts of 14-year-old Lexi Peters of Buffalo, NY, who wanted to know why girl gamers couldn't create avatars that actually looked like themselves, rather than just Swedes with bad haircuts. Prompted by her father, she wrote a letter to EA Sports, saying, "It is unfair to women and girl hockey players around the world, many of them who play and enjoy your game. I have created a character of myself, except I have to be represented by a male and that's not fun."

EA actually responded to the letter, telling her that it wouldn't be possible to add female avatars to the game because all such decisions have to be approved by the NHL. She was naturally disappointed, but what she didn't know was that her missive had also made its way to the president of EA Sports, who then passed it on to NHL Lead Producer David Littman.

Littman was able to get permission to add female avatars from the NHL and EA's legal department, and also managed the vital step of squeezing the budget enough to make it happen. The company then went back to Lexi with some double-cool news: not only had it decided to add female avatars to the game, but it wanted to use her likeness as the default female player.

"I was so excited," she said. "My dad called my grandpa immediately, who called my Uncle Chris, like a chain reaction."

There has actually been one female player to appear in the NHL, Manon Rheaume, who appeared in a pair of preseason exhibition games for the Tampa Bay Lightning in 1992 and 1993. More relevant to EA, however, is the growing number of women who are taking up the game at all levels. According to Hockey Canada, roughly 5000 women in the country were playing in 1990, whereas today that figure has jumped to more than 100,000.

"Lexi's letter was a wake-up call," Littman told the Globe and Mail [http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/girl-wins-bid-to-play-virtual-self-in-nhl-video-game/article2161727/]. "Here's a growing audience playing our NHL game and we hadn't done anything to capture them."

EA Sports NHL 12 comes out in North America on September 13 for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. And yes, that bit about girls being bad hockey players was a joke. Lighten up, people.

via: The Mary Sue

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
who wanted to know why girl gamers couldn't create avatars that actually looked like themselves, rather than just Swedes with bad haircuts.
Them's fighting words!

OT: Funny, I've actually been thinking about this for a few months now, "I wonder if girls that play NHL or FIFA are bummed about only being able to play as a male?" Turns out someone was and did something about it. Good for her, options are always nice.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
They're not very good at it, what with being girls and all, but they do their best and they have fun and for them, that's what really counts.
I'm sorry did you really just write that? Even as a joke that reads as extremely patronising.

I am offended. It offended me. It is offensive.

Trucken said:
Andy Chalk said:
who wanted to know why girl gamers couldn't create avatars that actually looked like themselves, rather than just Swedes with bad haircuts.
Them's fighting words!
You're right. It's offensive to people with bad haircuts everywhere.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I could have sworn there was a cheat code years ago to have a female avatar as your goalie. Like, NHL 2000 or something, you could totally do that.

Or maybe it was in the 2K sports series. Or....something. Whatever.

Good for her. Proof that speaking up actually make a difference.

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
I am actually really impressed at this. Not because they added female avatars (should have ages ago). However the fact that they thought enough of her suggestion to keep it, and them put HER in the game as the default, that impresses me.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Satsuki666 said:
Well good for them I guess. Its not something that ever really would have occured to me and it makes sense why EA never thought of it before. Since their isnt actually any women in the NHL why would you think to include the ability to make female avatars. After all the name on the case is NHL.
For the fun of it. You aren't being forced to play as a female, are you?

Also, there was a female NHL player [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manon_Rh%C3%A9aume]. She lasted about a period in a pre-season game, but it still happened.

Kuroji

May 5, 2011
Nice to see this happen. I wonder if any other sports games are going to follow?
Will I be able to play as a woman in Fifa a couple of years from now?
How about female leagues and national teams, or even referees and officials?

I'm not going to get hopes up for that, but as a girl who loves playing sports, I'd love to see it.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Hey! That was below the belt man...Uncool dude, Uncool.

OT: Well good for all the female NHL players. Let's just hope that it is a permanent feature and won't be a DLC in the next game...

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Satsuki666 said:
Frostbite3789 said:

Also, there was a female NHL player [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manon_Rh%C3%A9aume]. She lasted about a period in a pre-season game, but it still happened.
Im not sure if you understood my comment. I am saying that this is a good thing. I was also saying how its understandable that they didnt add it in in the past since there are no women in the NHL and it is a NHL game.
That I did, apologies sir. I blame my sleep deprived, coffee addled brain.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Good to see her letter had convince them to keep up with the times and it's quite awesome to have your face as the default avatar face.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Frostbite3789 said:
I find the name of the length of time for which she played to be both unfortunate, and hilarious.
Also, more options, yay. If they don't charge for the options, so much the better. Yes, there are no women on the teams as they currently exist. However, it's the create a character function. By definition, the avatar is of someone who doesn't currently exist on the given teams. Of course, to that end, why stop at humans? Back when NFL Blitz was still a franchise, you could use the character creator to be a whole bunch of things, like a robot or a dolphin. I see no real reason to not allow that in current sports games.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Sweet! In my school the boys aren't actually allowed to play hockey, it's a girl sport (they also play it on hard ground, not ice) but I'm not jealous, we play rugby but even in comparison to that hockey is vicious.

Anyways, this is nice, I see little reason why this shouldn't be the case. I know it's expensive but still.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Satsuki666 said:
Frostbite3789 said:

Im not sure if you understood my comment. I am saying that this is a good thing. I was also saying how its understandable that they didnt add it in in the past since there are no women in the NHL and it is a NHL game.
It's an NHL game yes, but the past few NHL games have had international teams be playable. International teams have women's divisions. There's not really an excuse here.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
God forbid you play a character opposite your gender. How can you have any fun unless the character is you?

I don't argue choice is bad, but saying you can't have fun unless the character is your gender is ridiculous.

Ariseishirou

Aug 24, 2010
Eri said:
God forbid you play a character opposite your gender. How can you have any fun unless the character is you?
Of course you can still have fun. No one is saying you can't. But I already have to play a character opposite my gender in the vast and overwhelming number of video games I play. They're still fun, of course, but you know what else would be fun? Playing my own gender, too.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
I actually have more fun playing a character of opposite gender. But I'm odd like that.

This is an unqualified Good Thing. Why not? It doesn't hurt anyone or anything, and it adds more options. Don't know whether they had time to add more than just a create-a-player option, but maybe next year. I know when I first tried a demo of Football Manager 2011, I was surprised to find out that I could create a female coach. And then even more surprised that it was not only allowed, but that my first press conference was full of questions like "how do you plan to be successful in a male-dominated sport" and "have you experienced sexism in the sport". A pleasant case of the dev team Thinking of Everything.

Perhaps we'll have licensed women's teams in a few years' time? That could be fun, even if it's just the Canada and USA national teams.