Girls Get to Play in NHL 12

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
orangeban said:
Sweet! In my school the boys aren't actually allowed to play hockey, it's a girl sport (they also play it on hard ground, not ice) but I'm not jealous, we play rugby but even in comparison to that hockey is vicious.

Anyways, this is nice, I see little reason why this shouldn't be the case. I know it's expensive but still.
They play grass hockey? you're very lucky. I played it in school and it's a vicious fucking game. Defending against a corner is the closest many of us will ever come to being put in front of a firing squad.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Grey Carter said:
orangeban said:
Sweet! In my school the boys aren't actually allowed to play hockey, it's a girl sport (they also play it on hard ground, not ice) but I'm not jealous, we play rugby but even in comparison to that hockey is vicious.

Anyways, this is nice, I see little reason why this shouldn't be the case. I know it's expensive but still.
They play grass hockey? you're very lucky. I played it in school and it's a vicious fucking game. Defending against a corner is the closest many of us will ever come to being put in front of a firing squad.
One of my friends got the school to let her stop playing after she lost her two front teeth. Then there was the girl who got knocked out, the one who broke her leg... and so on.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
orangeban said:
Grey Carter said:
orangeban said:

One of my friends got the school to let her stop playing after she lost her two front teeth. Then there was the girl who got knocked out, the one who broke her leg... and so on.
I saw a guy shatter his shinbone, it was awful. It's a lot of fun though. The game that is, not shattering your shinbone.

Shadu

Nov 10, 2010
Personally, even though I'm female, I'd rather play as a guy rather than a chick any day. But I'm sure this will make some male fans very happy. Oh, yeah, and those females that don't like looking at dudes.

Besides...ugh...I can't say that is a very flattering picture...

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
This is officially awesome. I was already excited about the game and was going to pick it up on Tuesday anyway, but this just makes me even happier about my decision. Way to go, EA.

Strixvaliano

Feb 8, 2011
It's cool that they actually listened to this suggestion and added it into the game. It's always nice to see a developer do something like this, especially EA.

I understand why different genders are in games but it always baffles me how many people make an issue out of playing or not being able to play a specific gender. It's not like in most games I can check in between my legs and use what makes my gender different from the other and when you can its either just lame scripted events or something like the lady killer or black widow perks.

Perhaps it's just me though because I can't really get into games deep enough that I like or dislike different personalities because I constantly pull myself out of the experience because I know they are just pixels/sprites and fabricated personalities.

Marudas

Jul 8, 2010
And thus, in the span of a day, the amount of innovation in EA's yearly sports releases was almost tripled. It doesn't stop here though. Next year, in addition to copy pasting the same game with a roster update, I hear they're planning on adding additional polygons to the coaches faces to make them more realistically pissed off at calls.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
orangeban said:

Pssh your school (or perhaps you) needs to get with the times. Allow me to educate you.

The type of hockey the girls will play at your school is known as field hockey. It's played with an entirely different stick, with a hooked, rather than flat end. It also uses a dimpled ball, similar to a large golf ball, instead of a puck. It uses 11 players a side at one time, just like football. It is seriously good fun.

I've seen broken bones and severe head injuries from such hockey, and at a male level, defenders rushing out from goal to save a short corner often wear masks as a temporary measure, as even with the obligatory gum-shield in, a hockey ball can do serious damage to your mouth, not to mention your face. My old captain once lost several teeth in such an incident. Interestingly, some schools play a term of rugby and a term of hockey, and can often dominate other hockey teams just in being much bigger and more aggressive.

Get involved, it's a seriously good sport. And I'm from England by the way - this isn't some alien American sport not really played in the UK!

personion

Dec 6, 2010
And it only took years and years of the same game with revamped graphics to do it.
Still not buying the game, but hey. Go women I guess.