92 year old WWII vet bootlegs 300,000 DVDs and sends them to American soldiers in Afghanastan

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
contrary to what people like Gravesend 'think' I applaud this old vet for doing what he did(both his own military service and the service he provided by sending the DVD's), and i could careless if its against the law. The men and women in our military are unsung heroes and I have the utmost respect for them for doing what they do and making the innumerable sacrifices that they make. If I had the means and the capability to do so I would send along something similar like newly released games to our soldiers

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I sort of hope they do take him to court, as the press will hopefully tear them a new one for attacking a war hero.

I just worry he could end up with a year or more in jail, but hopefully out of compassion they'll reduce it to life.

I can't believe the government can't cut a deal to get a TV and a few dozen discs on the cheap in every base tho. Perhaps a netflix deal where they're swapped out every few months.

May 29, 2011
It's morally wrong and illegal but honestly why would we care? This is one of those cases were piracy didn't really hurt anyone, it's not like the soldiers could have bought those dvds while in Afghanistan. I mean he probably shouldn't have done it but he's 92 years old there's really no point in punishing him.

May 29, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
I don't see why people think soldiers deserve such special treatment. They get paid over there, they aren't saints or something. And being a WWII veteran doesn't really give him leave to break the law.
They get shitty pay for a shitty and difficult job where they risk their lifes and minds (it's amazing how many former soldiers have PTSD) to fight against terrorists. I think most of the respect comes from the "risk their lifes" part, it's just one of those things that immediately commands peoples respect.

Yeah they get paid. Of course they get fucking paid, a lot of them have families. That doesn't mean they aren't willingly risking their lifes, even if it is for money. That takes balls.

IWCAS

Jul 28, 2009
370999 said:
While his intent was admirable I still an uncomfortable with this flagrant breaking of the law. I would of far preferred if he campaigned for a charity to the intended effect.
I respect this... and it'd be a better option, but that wouldn't do anything. That's like wearing no shoes to support sending shoes to Africa. It's a massive waste of time. This man got shit done.

IWCAS

Jul 28, 2009
Mortai Gravesend said:
I don't see why people think soldiers deserve such special treatment. They get paid over there, they aren't saints or something. And being a WWII veteran doesn't really give him leave to break the law.
They don't deserve special treatment. They aren't saints. NO ONE should break the law. I agree with what you said, but come on man. Lighten up just a little. It was pretty cool of this man to spend so much money and time sending nice things to the people who protect his freedom.

What about setting the law aside? Then what do you think?

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Mortai Gravesend said:
They aren't paid much, and either way, no one was saying he has a free pass to break the law.

That said, this man is a fucking BOSS

Vryyk

Sep 27, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
Of course, the great thing about all this is no matter what you say about this guy and our troops, the movies have already been sent, the soldiers have already been entertained, the old man isn't likely to be punished, and even if he is he knew and accepted these risks to make those guys happy. You could pray every day to every God for our guys to all get hit by IEDs for all it matters, the "damage" is done.

That being said, like this man himself, I don't believe his actions were right, and I don't think the laws should be changed. Piracy is still theft, and theft is still wrong. But the courts have far worse things to deal with over a dying old man spending what's left of his hard earned money to try and help a few overworked guys in the desert feel happy, and they should spend their time on cases they can actually win.

Vryyk

Sep 27, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
What is so great about that? It's almost as if there's some part of my post I can't see saying he needed to be crucified when I just disapproved of what he did.
It was more of a composite answer to all your posts so far. You don't much seem to like soldiers, and I was angry about this until I realized how little it matters. Your "power" as far as this event goes stretches as far as mine, which is to say micrometers. The only difference in our opinions is I'm happy that the soldiers got to enjoy themselves while you seem a bit tiffed. Right or wrong (and please note I still consider it wrong), what's done is done.

dslatch

Apr 15, 2009
Simple, that dude is fucking awsome and totally falls in the right for piracy.

Plus you gotta give props to a 92 year old that use a computer that well.

SolanumX2

Sep 15, 2011
I believe situations like this are more morality issues than legality issues. Yes, he broke the law, but he did so to help many soldiers with their mental health. What he did was morally right. I don't personally believe he should be punished in the slightest (my personal philosophy is if it doesn't hurt anyone, do whatever the hell you want), but the law is the law and he probably will be.

He hurt no one by doing it, and at great cost to himself. It's rather unlikely a soldier is going to be able to buy these things, whether because of location or their family cannot afford it. I say why not help them out? Why not give them an hour or two of entertainment and a brief respite from the fact they've risked their lives for yet another day to serve their country, despite many not feeling the wars are necessary. The companies aren't technically losing money, as it would never have been spent in the first place.

All of the professions people are claiming deserve more praise (not to dismiss their contributions to society) still get to go home and unwind. Unless the American government is flying them home every night without anyone knowing, the soldiers don't. Their work is their life, and sometimes death.

IWCAS

Jul 28, 2009
Well.... in a way he paid. He had to pay for all the discs. Unless he was just a rotten old man and somehow stole the discs.

Maybe he had no problem with paying; he just wanted to send as much as he could and help out as many as possible, so instead he spent the money on discs(and computers?). This way he could maximize the amount of movies he could send. Let's not forget that he did spend $30,000 or more. You are right that he could've just bought DVD's legally, but nowhere close to 300k.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Mortai Gravesend said:
8-Bit_Jack said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
They aren't paid much, and either way, no one was saying he has a free pass to break the law.

That said, this man is a fucking BOSS
No one has at all implied he should get a free pass to break the law here? You know, all the people saying how great it was and everything? Huh. Also don't care if they aren't paid much, just pointing out it isn't charity.
Everyone here would be cheering if a convicted felon had sent 300000 DVDs overseas.
The fact he's a 90 year old man who fought for his country is just a bonus.
And, if you don't care about the salary of military folk, then you clearly have your own issues with the military. Most soldiers aren't going to get out of the first 3 ranks, and none of those actually pay enough to live on. Would YOU go get shot at in a blistering desert for the burger-flipping pay? I wouldn't.