92 year old WWII vet bootlegs 300,000 DVDs and sends them to American soldiers in Afghanastan

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
FelixG said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
It is interesting how suddenly everyone is all for breaking the law, so long as you spin the story just right. Laws are laws for a reason.
Laws are temporary

Besides, the copyright crap really needs to be redone anyway. The more people who point out how much bullshit it is the sooner (hopefully) it will be corrected.
No, I agree. Don't get me wrong. Copyright law is total garbage the way it is written. I just think it is funny how easy it is to get people to view something a different way just be reporting the story a little differently.

Jiffex

Dec 11, 2011
Kekkles said:
Hah, he looks like the old chap from 'Up'.

I knew he looked familiar XD.

OT I think it's a good thing he did but if it goes unpunished then what's to stop others pirating to send to "troops". And if that happens then the movie companies will most likely try harder to stop piracy and make life difficult for everyone else with online passes for DVDs and the like.

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
snake4769 said:
Are you the world police's ***** boy or something? Why do you care so much about the law of some stupid ass movie business. Fuck hollywood and Fuck you. Go piss up a rope you liberal shit stain.
You do your side great credit with your well thought out arguments. /sarcasm

But no, seriously, what's up with you? Oh how horrible, someone posted something on a forum.
He's probably just taking out his anger from pressing "The Button" on you :p

OT: Legally It's pretty shady but I don't really see any harm in him doing so. You could rattle on about how Hollywood is losing billions but realistically, is there any possible way for the soldiers to purchase the film? Right now? In a war zone with mortar shots landing just meters away from them? No, there's no possible way therefore they're not losing sales, just gaining publicity from it. Jeez he's not even making a profit from it cut him some slack >.>

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
I don't see why people think soldiers deserve such special treatment. They get paid over there, they aren't saints or something. And being a WWII veteran doesn't really give him leave to break the law.
Soldiers don't deserve special treatment, they are just bored as fuck and there are periods of time they have to spend more than 10 hours without anything else to do but to expend ammunition at the range or jack off.

Being a WWII veteran means that he felt like helping people who are deployed overseas.

But thank you for entirely missing the point and spreading that good old negativism.

Mortai Gravesend said:
You seem to have confused 'have respect' with me thinking it means that it's okay for him to break the law. Sorry, but it doesn't mean we suddenly owe him a status above all others.
I'd gladly accept that argument, except the fact that speeding, jaywalking and running red lights are also crimes but everyone does it.

Chairman Miaow said:
I love the hypocrisy up in this thread. Almost everybody has just advocated piracy.
Just saying: anyone who is over 19 pirated the fuck outta those VHS tapes and is a complete hypocrite by criticizing what this man did.

I advocate what he did, because he did something to help someone.
Does that mean I am using this thread to advocate piracy in general? No.

Matthew94 said:
Also, people in the military aren't saints.
And that means what? That everyone must hate them? No, it doesn't. It doesn't mean anything.
We are not arguing weather or not people in the military are "good" or "evil" and that is completely beside the point.

I am studying Mechanical Engineering and I am telling you: I don't agree with you.

Your point is completely hypocritical. I believe I don't have to respect someone over other people if I don't know them, and I know that there are shitheads in the military. Why does being an engineer or a scientist make you less of a shithead or worthy of respect?

I want to become an engineer because I want to. I like it and I like earning more money than others. I am not doing it because I want to help people. Helping people? Fuck no.

If I wanted to help people I'd join the military.

monkey_man said:
Consider the following: No soldiers, no soldiers going to war, no war. It's an easy solution to a stupid problem, and I'm frankly disappointed that we still GO to war. We're HUMANS! the smartest being on this planet, and we still resort to stupid things.
First, the military is required. Next time a cargo ship sinks let's see who will save the fishermen without the Air Force/Navy/Coast Guard.

Second, we are animals.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Matthew94 said:
Why do you see things in white and black?
Because

And that means what? That everyone must hate them? No, it doesn't. It doesn't mean anything.
I never really was seeing things in white and black.

If you weren't trying to imply that we should hate them then your argument is absolutely pointless. Just someone isn't a "saint" doesn't mean that people can't do anything nice for them, and doesn't mean that there are actually no saints among them.

Matthew94 said:
How does joining the military help anyone? You go to other countries and bomb the shit out of them.
Next time a bridge collapses, your plane crashes or your ship sinks, who will be there to save your ass? The Air Force, the Navy or even the Coast Guard.

Next time there is a huge accident in the water, who will recover the bodies? Divers from the Navy or the Marine Corps.

Who else helps people in the military? Probably the Engineers, who rebuild roads, schools and bridges. Probably the Docs and nurses. Who keeps the pirates off the commercial routes? Who does Medvacs?

Who does Search & Rescue? The military, that's who.

Fortunately for you, you never had to need military assistance. But that doesn't mean you have a reasonable excuse to spit out your liberal views on the military you got from watching TV.

MaxiP62

Jul 10, 2011
Put it this way, the movie companies are barely losing any money, as they do not distribute the films over there. He isn't gaining any money from doing this. If he charged for it, then maybe something should be done, but he is just doing something to help soldiers, the real life heroes of our world who are horribly underpaid and under appreciated.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Xangba said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
I don't see why people think soldiers deserve such special treatment. They get paid over there, they aren't saints or something. And being a WWII veteran doesn't really give him leave to break the law.
Note: I am not attacking you, just hoping to give some perspective as you don't seem to have a very decent opinion of soldiers. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I joined the Marines straight out of high school, got medically discharged, and still have contact with all of the guys still in. The military is hard. These are people that knowingly are putting their life at risk in a hostile environment. Few supporters claim they are saints, especially me, but it is a conscious decision to voluntarily risk your own life for years. I've had to listen to a pacifist in the area tell me how horrible I am. I see news reports of moronic idiots giving the military a bad name, because the damn media can never say "_______ did this" it's always "Marine (or Army, or whatever other service branch) did this" because associating it with the entire group sells better, and believe me those morons are hated by the members of the military probably more so than everyone else (same issues with police, equally infuriating). Personally I volunteered because I wanted to actually offer something to the country, and the funny thing is that's the reasoning for all the other guys in my D.E.P. (minus two, hated both and was sorely disappointed when they graduated) and a majority of ones I met while serving. A lot enjoy the idea of being the protector of your home. We're just crazy people who asked to be able to risk our life for some crap pay and decent benefits. By the way, not a whole lot of us ask to be put on a pedestal, but a lot of people see offering your life as praiseworthy and worth recognition.

P.S. Those other under appreciated jobs you mentioned, like sewer cleaners, yeah I highly appreciate them as well. I'd rather go back to Parris Island than do their jobs.

Suddenly realized I have yet to comment on the OT: Good intentions and act, though not handled the best way as this forum shows.
Out of the many people I chose to quote you since you seemed the least hostile.. Ehem. Although this isnt specifically 'pointed' at you.

I think the US military, is -the- worst Western Military in the world. It is also the largest, and consists of enough different people for one group to bring down the average overall. It could be the rampant numbers of rape is within a few select units with crappy officers. And the many civilians killed were doing bombing-runs which werent soldiers, but Politicians (Aka Bush)'s fault. But I dont think they 'shouldnt' take the blame for it. They could have said no. By not saying no, they are standing behind their superiors decision and as such they are to take the blame aswell. If an officer does a bummer, the whole unit goes down for it. Its generally like that. When an officer forgave several rape offenses the whole unit got shit for it. I dont know how large it is, hundreds.. Maybe a thousand soldiers. So its impossible that they had all contributed to something that is a rather large number. But consequence of being in such an orderly structure is that people are gonna generalize. And Soldiers accept that just as much as they accept taking a job which can lead to their death. It is the military's responsibility, to make the soldiers act properly. And in the US military, its simply been seen far too often that this is not the case, with millions of people -in- the military its impossible to prevent everything. But this is why its divided into parts, and when you then compare those parts to other countries, the US Military is.... Well. In a crappy state to say the least. Its still not the majority of their soldiers who are rapists, but when you have more of a chance of getting raped by your brothers in arms than actually getting hurt by your enemies... Thats a scary thought. Its a sign that the military is in need of a restructure, and that the corrupt officers and offending soldiers should get the boot, and a just punishment. Far too often has it been seen that just because they are on the front, and because the offense they have made is against other soldiers, other countries civilians. They get away with it with far less. If somebody killed 50-60 Americans, they would get lifetime. Maybe even Execution. Afghanistanis? 1-2 years. A demotion, and vastly diminished chance of promotion in the future. How is that fair? Its not. War isnt fair, but even then this sort of thing should get punished properly. As for the mass of rape episodes that are just ignored by officers, although minor offences compared to the mass-slaughter of civilians, its still rather serious. And another sign that the administration in the US military is broken. Disorganized, and corrupt. They are not getting enough regulation which has resulted in them getting some really bad apples, aswell as a bloated budget where you only get half the bang for a buck. People who say that there is something wrong with the military is not simply 'pacifistic antiwar whiners' some have reason. A military being large is not an excuse to ignore the geneva convention. Nor ignore local laws. Or even your own countries laws. When a military ends up with an independance like that, somethings gone wrong. And there is no arguement against that.

ElPatron said:
Matthew94 said:
Why do you see things in white and black?
Because

I never really was seeing things in white and black.

If you weren't trying to imply that we should hate them then your argument is absolutely pointless. Just someone isn't a "saint" doesn't mean that people can't do anything nice for them, and doesn't mean that there are actually no saints among them.

Matthew94 said:
How does joining the military help anyone? You go to other countries and bomb the shit out of them.
Next time a bridge collapses, your plane crashes or your ship sinks, who will be there to save your ass? The Air Force, the Navy or even the Coast Guard.

Next time there is a huge accident in the water, who will recover the bodies? Divers from the Navy or the Marine Corps.

Who else helps people in the military? Probably the Engineers, who rebuild roads, schools and bridges. Probably the Docs and nurses. Who keeps the pirates off the commercial routes? Who does Medvacs?

Who does Search & Rescue? The military, that's who.

Fortunately for you, you never had to need military assistance. But that doesn't mean you have a reasonable excuse to spit out your liberal views on the military you got from watching TV.
In the US people have become too fond of their military, too... Nationalistic. Militaristic. A wise man once said that we shouldnt become too fond of neither soldiers nor war. That we should hate them both in order -not- to become fond of either. I dont hate soldiers, its impossible to. They are humans. But I 'can' however hate war. And I 'can' support that if we 'do' wage war we do it in ways that harm the least civilians possible. The US Military (Although again, Bush is to take a large part of the blame) Has been corrupted for a long time, this is generally speaking. A lot of soldiers might be alright blokes. Heck, my uncles a soldier. But too many have had lawbreakings gone unpunished, and corruption has risen from broken regulation. The US military is -broken- And only manages to run, barely. Because the Goverment pushes a trillion dollars into it a year. Far more money than the stuff they get is worth.

Oh also, educate yourself on Liberalism m8. You are ignorant on the subject.

Will Bowes

Apr 25, 2011
oh my god it's karl from up! look! hahaha also yay for doing the wrong thing for the right reasons! lol but still look at this guy he's the old guy from up! hahaha

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Mortai Gravesend said:
Few jobs in the world result in such culture shock, PTSD, and threat of death then being a soldier. Sure we have a volunteer army (posting in terms of the US), and some may argue that a military isn't required, but I would have to disagree and defend the need for an army and those who join it.

In terms of breaking the law, I personally judge laws by the moral and ethical implications they have by breaking them, in this case I would side with the 92yo.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Matthew94 said:
Yes, you do see things in black and white, just admit it. Wait, you did and then backpedaled immediately.
Yes, it was such a backpedal that I had to say exactly what I...

Wait. I never went back with what I said.

My point is not their job, my point is that someone was trying to do something nice.

Nikolaz72 said:
Oh also, educate yourself on Liberalism m8. You are ignorant on the subject.
First of all, I am European. Second, I was talking about the liberal media, not Liberalism politics.

Mortai Gravesend said:
Considering that there was no particularly valid reason to pirate it in this case I don't see why.
Dude, you're having too much fun.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Matthew94 said:
So would you be ok if someone sent 300,000 DVDs to workers in supermarkets all over the world?
I am against copyright laws as they are so it would be awesome, I guess? Doesn't explain how I am seeing things in white and black, since I know for a fact that everything has shades of grey.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Wow, if they ever make a live action movie of "up", that's the guy they should hire. He is the spitting image of Carl.

As for what he did, I don't really care whether it's bad or not. Doesn't matter anyway, it's up to Hollywood to decide whether they think it's worth it to fine him and deal with the bad PR or not.

zefiris

Dec 3, 2011
1)You have no clue what liberal means
2)You have no clue what "liberal TV" is
3)You have very little clue about anything about this topic and resort to ad hominem insults to score points.

This fails. The moment you dragged "liberal" into it, you pretty much proved that nothing you said had any merit whatsoever.

Seriously. I wonder if you people who are so desperate that soldiers get DVDs ACTUALLY help soldiers. I doubt it. Where are you when soldiers return after the war, and don't get anything paid, even though the country has an obligation to? Where are you when soldiers that are permanently scarred by the war get dropped by the army like hot coal, ending with the soldiers losing their homes, becoming homeless?

Where are you? Oh, right. You're here, on a forum, whining that someone doesn't cheer about soldiers getting free DVDs.

Because that's easy. Actually working to take the army to task and make them treat their soldiers better would take work. It's hard[/b]. So you don't do it. Instead, you pretend to care about soldiers, but as you admit, you really only care for your views on copyright.

That's really, really awful. Soldiers don't need free DVDs, they need the army to take responsibility for a change. The way the american army treats some veterans is abominable.