Studio Head Quits Over "Exaggerated" Military Claim

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Studio Head Quits Over "Exaggerated" Military Claim

The head of Deadliest Warrior studio Pipeworks Software has quit following revelations that his claim of being a former Green Beret were "exaggerated."

Released in mid-2010, Deadliest Warrior: The Game appears to be an eminently forgettable fighting game based the Spike TV program of the same name and would probably have remained entirely unnoticed by the mainstream gaming audience but for the controversy surrounding Robert Daly, the head of Pipeworks Software. Daly has claimed several times in the past, including in a developer diary posted on Spike.com [http://ps3.ign.com/articles/108/1087648p1.html], that he was a former member of the Special Forces, but that turned out to be not entirely true.

statement [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/studio-head-military-credentials-fake/] in support of Daly, claiming he had offered evidence to back up his claim, but Professional Soldiers founder Jeff Hinton said Daly's orders made it clear that he was "an Intelligence Analyst and not a Special Forces soldier."

"Robert Daly was NEVER a Green Beret or a Special Forces soldier as all of the internet articles have stated," he said. "Our statement stands, that Mr. Daly is a fraud."

Hinton also took Foundation 9 to task for its support of Daly and statement that the definition of "Green Beret" is a matter of "nuanced debate." Before that could get out of hand, however, Daly announced his resignation on the Professional Soldiers forum. He had been with the company for five years.

"I am honored to have served with the 12th Special Forces Group as an Intelligence Analyst (96B) from 1991 until 1994. While I wore the green beret as part of my uniform, I utterly regret that I have misrepresented my role by creating the impression that I was a 'Green Beret.' I have nothing but the utmost respect for the Green Berets and my fellow servicemen, and I respectfully apologize to the Special Forces community," he wrote [http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=418397&postcount=36]. "At this point in time for the best interests of Pipeworks Software and F9E I am voluntarily resigning my position of Studio Head of Pipeworks effective immediately. Furthermore I have no plans on appearing in any more episodes of Deadliest Warrior."

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
See, embellishing a resume CAN come back to bite you. I do see why he did it though, as I can undersand why anyone would want to make their previous experience sound more important.

"I'm not the guy who fixes chairs in the theatre... I'm... uh... the Chairman of the Theatre Department!"

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Jesus this might be the most inane tale of pointless misery I've ever heard. Guy in charge of a studio that makes a rubbish cash in game based on a guy fodder Tv show lies needlessly about his army life from 20 years ago

Oct 30, 2010
A similar thing happened with a Toronto Blue Jays manager a while back. He would tell his players stories from 'Nam to inspire them... except he was a reservist who never went over seas.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
I don't really see why it matters. Who gives a shit if he lied about his military experience. If he was looking to become a military advisor then it would matter. As it stands, all he's doing is using his claimed knowledge to make a shitty fighting game that any military history buff could do.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Reminds me of my Uncle. He has a "Proud Vietnam Veteran" bumper sticker. He never made it out of boot camp because of a medical problem, much less go to Vietnam. He then spent twenty years fighting with the Veteran's Administration to make them pay for his medical bills and wheelchair accessible van. Just one of many reasons I hate him.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
I'm confused, he was a member of the army's special forces and he wore a green beret. Doesn't that make him a green beret even though he was intelligence rather than front line.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Actual said:
I'm confused, he was a member of the army's special forces and he wore a green beret. Doesn't that make him a green beret even though he was intelligence rather than front line.
From my understanding if it he was just an intelligence analyst working with the Green Berets. He was allowed to wear the uniform but he wasn't actually a Green Beret and he didn't go on missions with them. He sat at base analyzing the information he had (which is 100% acceptable, the soldiers need it after all) but then went on to make it appear like he had been out on missions.

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
Everyone ups their role in an organisation a little to appear more important or gain respect. In this case a guy who worked closely with the green berets claiming to have been one. If this was anything other than military in nature no one would care.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
C'mon man... you weren't the real deal but you were a million times closer than most people were and still could claim to know them almost as good as an actual green beret themselves.

lotanerve

Jan 19, 2011
Micalas said:
I don't really see why it matters. Who gives a shit if he lied about his military experience. If he was looking to become a military advisor then it would matter. As it stands, all he's doing is using his claimed knowledge to make a shitty fighting game that any military history buff could do.
I'm guessing by your quote, you never served, since anybody who served would never say that. People who served in the military, take their accomplishments and achievements very seriously. Special Forces in particular, since the selection process to be an operator is so rigorous. It's not just about the guy lying to make himself more appealing, it's about the injustice to those who go on to be un-thanked heroes that unselfishly put their lives at risk on every mission. (I'm not mad at the comment, I just want to commenter to be aware that lying about one's military experience is much more severe than a college football coach lying about his resume - George O'Leary)

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
lotanerve said:
Micalas said:
I'm guessing by your quote, you never served, since anybody who served would never say that. People who served in the military, take their accomplishments and achievements very seriously. Special Forces in particular, since the selection process to be an operator is so rigorous. It's not just about the guy lying to make himself more appealing, it's about the injustice to those who go on to be un-thanked heroes that unselfishly put their lives at risk on every mission. (I'm not mad at the comment, I just want to commenter to be aware that lying about one's military experience is much more severe than a college football coach lying about his resume - George O'Leary)
What's funny is that if he had said "I served in a Green Beret unit" then people still would have had the same image in their heads, but no one would have raised shit. Thing is if you're part of a unit for a long time, and serve with them, then you eventually more or less become one of them. There's a reason that when they get deployed, Marines don't give Corpsman any shit for being in the Navy.
I have to agree with Micalas. It doesn't really matter, and this is more or less a non-issue. If he was telling stories of things he did that didn't happen, then it would be a different matter.

Murmillos

Silly Deerthing
Feb 13, 2011
That moron had it coming.

All he needed to say was; "I was a member of a Green Beret unit. While I may have never completed any of the qualification courses in regards of becoming a Green Beret solider, I was allowed and given permissions by the Special Forces unit at the time to wear a Green Beret. Over time, the distinction from being introduced as a Green Beret Unit Support Personal slowly muddled over the years and thru jobs and contacts to just being a Green Beret. I am here to apologize to all members of Special Forces whom have put in the extraordinary effort and sacrifice for their services and for allowing myself in letting such distinctions of my actual qualifications to become over expressed."

Had he admitted it from the beginning, he would have been able to make it out of there with his head still intact, abet not held as high as before.

But since he tried to deny and call everybody else out as liars, he just shot himself in the foot every time he opened his mount. I'm sure whom ever his boss above him gave him the ultimatum (out of friendship) ?Resign before noon or else I'm going to be forced to fire you.?

lotanerve

Jan 19, 2011
Frizzle said:
lotanerve said:
Micalas said:
What's funny is that if he had said "I served in a Green Beret unit" then people still would have had the same image in their heads, but no one would have raised shit. Thing is if you're part of a unit for a long time, and serve with them, then you eventually more or less become one of them. There's a reason that when they get deployed, Marines don't give Corpsman any shit for being in the Navy.
I have to agree with Micalas. It doesn't really matter, and this is more or less a non-issue. If he was telling stories of things he did that didn't happen, then it would be a different matter.
The title of this forum topic includes "...his claim of being a former Green Beret were "exaggerated." I'm guessing he went more then saying he served in a Green Beret unit. The difference is that there are many others in communication and information support roles that aren't operators, and DON'T CLAIM TO BE OR HAVE BEEN OPERATORS. The important fact is that Mr. Daly never bothered to correct this assumption until someone else dug it up and pressed him exactly what is role was. I'm bothered that he never corrected anyone until someone brought it up. To me, that seems he was purposely being misleading...until someone else had enough information to say his claim was purposely vague.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
lotanerve said:
Micalas said:
While I haven't served I'm no stranger to the military. I'm a CIV employee for the Department of Defense. I have worked with and talked to military damn near everyday. In fact, one of my first assignments was briefing an Army Colonel. I have tremendous respect for the military.

Calbeck

Bearer of Pointed Commentary
Jul 13, 2008
Well, it's a good apology at any rate. Covers all the bases, makes no excuses or lays blame elsewhere.

Doesn't excuse his previous claims, but then again nothing really could. At least he had the intestinal fortitude, or shame, to resign.

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
lotanerve said:
Frizzle said:
lotanerve said:
Micalas said:
The title of this forum topic includes "...his claim of being a former Green Beret were "exaggerated." I'm guessing he went more then saying he served in a Green Beret unit. The difference is that there are many others in communication and information support roles that aren't operators, and DON'T CLAIM TO BE OR HAVE BEEN OPERATORS. The important fact is that Mr. Daly never bothered to correct this assumption until someone else dug it up and pressed him exactly what is role was. I'm bothered that he never corrected anyone until someone brought it up. To me, that seems he was purposely being misleading...until someone else had enough information to say his claim was purposely vague.
"... his claim of being a former Green Beret were "exaggerated."" To me that means the fact that he said he was a Green Beret was the "exaggerated" bit. Says nothing about him saying more than that. Only that he said he was a Green Beret on more than one occasion.

I was never an 0311 in the military. Did I do the job of one? On many occasions, and I tell people I played infantry for a while. Is there really that much of a difference? Granted this guy probably did not get all high-speed and rope off of helicopters, or whatever Green Beret's do (I was a Marine, so my Army contact was limited) but I don't think that's what he's claiming.

Comando96

May 26, 2009
My family has been a military family with my Granddad and Dad serving in the sas. Granddad serving in Hong Kong(peaceful), then Korea(real war) pre-sas. Dad Germany(peaceful) and Northern Ireland(guerilla war) pre-sas.

In the eyes of military personal:
Special forces (Very Good),
In for life Veterans,
Veterans,
FNG's,
Civilians (Neutral),
Civil Servants/Local Council workers
Bankers/Politicians
Criminals
Liars about military service status
Murders
Sex Offenders(Lowest of the Low)