New Drugs May Extend Our Lifespan to 150 Years

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
New Drugs May Extend Our Lifespan to 150 Years

The question is whether the extra decades will be healthy or not.

In the last century, the average human lifespan has increased substantially due to better nutrition and advances in medicine. Science is trying to make our lives last even longer, and a university administrator from Australia recently said that drugs which could accomplish that task might be seen in 5 to 10 years by tapping into the human body's uncanny ability to repair itself. The compound called resveratrol, found in red wine, has been shown to extend the life of worms, yeast, flies and even mice. If a drug made from resveratrol were to come to market, we might see people living to 150 years.

"I think there is real hope we can extend human life by some decades further," Professor Peter Smith, the dean of medicine at the University of New South Wales. He stressed that the goal is not just to extend life but to make sure that those years are just as fruitful as the rest of your life.

"The aim is not just to eke out extra existence, but to facilitate a longer healthy life," he said. "People aren't going to want to retire at 65 and spend many, many decades sitting at home."

David Sinclair, an Australian in residence at Harvard University, co-founded a company that is in the early stages of testing a synthetic molecule of resveratrol on patients with type II diabetes. The drug works by activating proteins which might tell the genes that cause ageing to stop working.

"Our bodies have an extraordinary ability to repair themselves," Sinclair said. "I think we're seeing the beginning of technology that could one day allow us to reach 150 [years of age]."

Depending on your point of view, this is either really exciting news or absolutely terrifying. If you have spent any time in nursing homes or with elderly relatives who have neurological disorders, you know that prolonging their existence may not be a blessing. The goal for these drugs is of course, to provide a longer healthy life, but I worry about the complications, not just morally but economically.

You think social security is broken now? Just wait until people can claim checks for 70 years after they retire.

Source: The Age [http://www.theage.com.au/technology/sci-tech/drugs-may-let-us-live-to-150-20111016-1lrm5.html#ixzz1b2kxFuEB]

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Since I plan to live long enough to see the end of the universe, this is good news.

As for the sociological implications, it might require a restructuring of some institutions, but that's hardly something new. The article mentions social security - there was a time when there WAS no social security, and in no small part because people usually dropped dead before it would be needed. Just as we created social security to accomodate a larger number of people reaching old age, so will we adapt to this change.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
Question number 1
Do I really wanna live to 150 years?
Question number 2
-HOW- exactly will I be living till 150 years? I can't imagine me looking all shrivled up and still living like I should be right?

And then of course, why do we keep meddeling with nature's course?
Everything is supposed to die sometime right?

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Awesome. I'm not a big fan of the whole death thing, and I'm a huge procrastinator, so this is prefect for me.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
"Eventually allow us to live for 150 years"...ok, the title isn't a flat out lie, but it's a little misleading.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Lets hope that these will be optional as this sounds like pure hell for me. 50-60 years sounds like a nice "life frame" for me.

Behazard

Oct 12, 2011
Great.. That means working 'till I'm 120 years old... Only 95 more years to go!

Depending on your point of view, this is either really exciting news or absolutely terrifying. If you have spent any time in nursing homes or with elderly relatives who have neurological disorders, you know that prolonging their existence may not be a blessing.
Amen.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I'm not taking it. We should be dying at 35. We keep fucking things up and the planet gets worse and worse because of it.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
You're all a bit optimistic to be honest. If such a drug were ever to be produced it would only be available to the rich and ultra rich. Discrimination galore I guess.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
If it slows the ageing process, then fair enough.

But if not, fuck off, i don't plan on looking a like a prune -.-

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
The aim is not just to eke out extra existence, but to facilitate a longer healthy life," he said. "People aren't going to want to retire at 65 and spend many, many decades sitting at home."
It's not even a case of "want" though, I can't see the current pension scheme surviving if people retired so many years before death, we would probably have to extend working to about 120-130 years old approx if we were able to live to 150. There's also demographic issues, we already have an aging population and this would only make it worse.

Edit: Plus even worse, this could lead onto the horrors of immortality, a world frozen in time with ancients living empty hedonistic lives, offspring presumably banned to prevent the world exploding from increased population. I would willingly fight to prevent such an occurance.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
My guess would be that instead of extending our live cycle, it'll stretch it out over a longer period of time. I kinda like the prospect of having my youth last till I'm 50 instead of 20. Then again who knows how the world will have to adapt to a longer life span, economically speaking, plus it'll probably be hell for our population problems.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Well this can't end well. Yeah, adding a good 10 years is nice, but when the extra and crappy 25 set in it's not going to be worth it. That and too many people living longer than they planned for isn't going to help. Those that just retired but now live an extra 30 years are screwed, they won't have the savings to last that long. Retirement programs are going to go bankrupt and we'll over-populate the planet more.

In summary, people need to be able to die. We live too long as is now, wonder why people have as many health and mental issues when they get old? We didn't evolve to have lifespans that long.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
I don't think that you really put some thought into writing that. What this drug could do is slow down the aging process, which means you could work for much longer, and 105 years would be the new 70. It doesn't just magically increase the length of life, making you get older than you normally could - aging process is what makes you less capable and weaker, so if you live longer thanks to this drug, aging process slows down too.

smudgey

May 8, 2008
FUCK THAT. If we live until 150, the retirement age will be lifted to around 120-130. And if you think it's bad getting stuck behind a senior citizen in traffic now.....

[EDIT] Ninja'd.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
There can't be such a dramatic shift in physiology without severe side-effects/consequences. I'm not gonna volunteer for this one until they test it out, which, given the nature of the drug would have to be done on some life form with a shorter lifespan than humans.

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
Sure, we can live to 150 in theory.

We will likely die of Alzheimers or Cancer before we hit 150 no matter what you do to agings genes.

GigaHz

Jul 5, 2011
Considering Alzheimers and other elderly diseases will hit most of us around our late 70's, early 80's a few extra years means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

That is, unless they come up with a cure to those diseases before we reach that tender age range.