Sexist Ad Lands EB Games Australia In Trouble

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sexist Ad Lands EB Games Australia In Trouble

EB Games in Australia is taking heat for a television ad that perpetuates the myth that chicks don't like games.

In a new television ad making the rounds Down Under, an animated couple are having a not-very-animated conversation in front of an EB Games outlet. He wants to pop in and buy the latest and greatest game to hit the market; she thinks he's a worthless layabout who hasn't even looked for a job since he got laid off from KFC back in February. Something like that, blah blah blah, and in he goes to buy his game anyway. Chicks, eh.

But once he's inside, the ever-so-helpful counter drone suggests that he can save some coin by trading in his old games on new ones. Enlightened as to the wonders of preowned, he does just that and uses his now-surplus cash to take his young lady to dinner. Later, she dusts the house and tells him to enjoy his game, because he's done enough for her already.

That's the part that really sticks in the craw of Aussie developer Rebecca Fernandez, who described the ad as a "massive step backward in the stereotypes of both men and women."

"The single worst part of the ad was at the end when the guy is playing games and his wife is dusting around him like some sort of terrible advertisement from the 50s," she told the Illawarra Mercury [http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/news/local/news/general/video-game-ad-offensive-to-female-gamers/2353988.aspx]. 47 percent of Australian gamers are female, she said, yet the perception that core games are for men while women are only interested in casual games persists.

She wasn't the only one unhappy with the spot, as others took to Twitter to complain that the ad is sexist and alienates female customers. But EB defended it as a "light-hearted joke" that was actually written by a woman and said that a "female-oriented companion ad" is on the way.

There's a big difference between stereotyping and playing with stereotypes, but sometimes it gets awfully hard to tell the two apart. What do we think this is: genuine sexism or just failed irony? I lean heavily toward the latter, but as a worthless layabout man myself, I'm not in the best position to judge.

via: GamePolitics [http://gamepolitics.com/2011/11/10/eb-games-australian-web-ad-called-sexist]

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
It certainly lacks tact, but isn't as bad as that new Dr. Pepper ad. I noticed the "Man's Guide To Trading" at the start. It is just as bad. The creators should be canned/reprimanded for the poor ad.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
This is about as sexist as I am female.

[small][sup]You see, it's funny because the topic is about sexism. No? Anybody? Not even a giggle?[/sup][/small]

Anyway. Yeah, really not seeing the issue here. If it was the other way around, with a woman buying the game and the bloke moaning, would anyone care? Seems like whining for the sake of whining to me.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
She wasn't the only one unhappy with the spot, as others took to Twitter to complain that the ad is sexist and alienates female customers. But EB defended it as a "light-hearted joke" that was actually written by a woman and said that a "female-oriented companion ad" is on the way.
I hope it is posted here as well, as I would like to see what the female equivalent of this ad is. This was cringe-worthy material...

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
To be offended by this, you have to be an excruciatingly histrionic woman. The spot never insulted women, it just played with the positive gender roles everyone has accepted for as long as we all can recall. It's a light-hearted joke, I don't think any woman who has time and a sense of humour with them would find this insulting.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
C'mon how can anyone take that seriously? The music is that stock music they play when they parody 50's ads all the time, the voice of the teacher from Peanuts, and that grin at the end. And to be honest it's probably quite a common occurrence anyway.

Rebellious_Gate

Nov 8, 2009
Never mind offensive, which it was. It's just plain awful. Not funny and would not make me want to buy my games there.

Dak_N_Jaxter

Oct 23, 2009
.... THIS is Sexist?
No, this is a cute, somewhat humorous ad, promoting second hand game trade ins.

Sexist, would be if any of the women who worked on making the ad got paid less than the men for doing the same amount of work.

I can't believe people are actually hung up over this... actually, I can.

MikeOfThunder

Jul 11, 2009
Is it just me or was that advert crap? I mean putting all the sexism to the side and all.

Yeah i can appreciate why people would feel alienated towards this. Fair play, can't really blame them on it. Just scrap the advert and move on I say. Wasn't particularly good anyway, I'm sure someone somewhere could come up with something more funny.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Failed irony. Without a doubt. The reason it looked like she was from a bad ad from the 50s was because it was making fun of bad ads from the 50s. I mean, come on, just listen to the music.

This is about as sexist as I am fem...
Sparrow said:
This is about as sexist as I am female.

[small][sup]You see, it's funny because the topic is about sexism. No? Anybody? Not even a giggle?[/sup][/small]
... Aw... dammit...

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
I'll probably come out the with dazzling controversial opinion (which isn't actually sarcasm for this site) that this is a sexist ad and it shouldn't of aired. Men as worthless layabouts, women as snarky bitches, men not caring what women say, women hating games ect. ect.

And I get that it was meant to be a joke, but here's the thing about making a joke using stereotypes. If it's not funny, it's not a joke, it's just stereotypes. And this ain't funny.

Lolth17

Queen of the Underdark
Nov 10, 2009
As a female with a sense of humor, I can say that this is not funny. Sexist? Eh. But definitely doesn't make me want to rush out to EB games. Is there any need to have her dusting at the end? Really?

I think it would have been far more amusing had they done the whole '50s thing up more. Have her dressed like Donna Reed, have the house be full of torturously tacky fabrics. Either go full on satire, or don't do it, because if you half ass it like this, you end up pissing some people off, and simply not impressing everyone else.

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
Very lacking in tact and forethought. I can't speak to the actual levels of sexism present among the people who thought this drivel was a good idea, but this was a very bad idea regardless. I don't really care what they were going for, but the whole "women don't like 'core' games" idea seriously needs to die in a fire. Like, right now.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
So the next time a woman keens at me about playing video games, I can tell her she's being sexist?

Can't have their cake and eat it too in this case I'm afraid.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
It certainly lacks tact, but isn't as bad as that new Dr. Pepper ad.
Why is Dr. Pepper not being slammed by the same criticism and whatnot for their "It's not for Women" ad?! Granted the woman in this ad is doing house work but he offers to help, the guys in the Dr. Pepper ad would have said something about missing a spot before loudly stating how hungry he was starting to feel.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
Maybe I've been on the internet for too long, but I actually thought it would end up with the man trading in his wife for a newer one. It just seemed to be heading that way. As it stands, however, it's still a pretty dumb ad and the kind of thing that makes me groan disappointedly.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
Seems more like irony to me rather than intended sexism. The music and attitude (including the Peanuts Sound Effect) seem to give a hint of intended retro irony, although I would say what probably shot this ad in the foot was that the visual style didn't seem to match that (as an aside besides visual style I wouldn't be surprised to see an ad like this in Fallout), and I think that's where the problem is, in that by making it seem more modern the implication is that this attitude is actually common today (by attitutude I mean "men play games, women complain about games, men save money, women become happy"), which unfortunately would give that uncomfrotable vibe. That said, it would be interesting to see what the female equivalant is, and while it is true there is a large female gaming populace, I can't say that this has never happened to me or other male gamers I know.

EDIT: I would like to add that just because I didn't find this intentionally sexist doesn't mean I think the ad was good. I actually found the quality of the ad to be more detremental to the ad than anything else.

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
That is a truly brilliant advert. I now want to trade my old games and take the missus out for dinner.