Sexist Ad Lands EB Games Australia In Trouble

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
That's ... stupid.
There are plenty of ads that are just about as `sexist' as that one ... like 80% of all of them ever ...
And some that are much more so ... like that fucking Dr. Pepper ad ... and nobody is going after that one ...

NrthBlood

Mar 20, 2011
I honestly don't see a problem with the ad, its a little humor, when i first say the ad i was in the store that was owned by a female, while a female was working the counter, i asked her if she finds the ad sexist's, her answer no i don't, these is just another case people taking a little light humor the wrong way. it will be interesting to see how the female ad goes.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Wasn't it just trying to be funny? I mean it failed but still.
It wasn't that bad, and although there are a lot of women games, I know many other women who are very much like the one in this cartoon. they whinge and whine until their man takes them out and then he's the nicest guy in the world for a week or so.

The idea is just that trading stuff in leaves you more money to treat the missus isn't it? I see no harm in that.

BgRdMchne

Jun 24, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Kiwilove said:
Somehow, I don't think the "female equivalent" ad is going to improve matters.
Could be funny as hell, though. I mean, if they run the ad the same way, what would the girl even play that Gamestop sells?
The commercial will be obvious. The man gets pissed and the woman for spending money on makeup, but it's all okay because she traded in Wii Fit and Cooking Mama and then the man buys her flowers for being so considerate.

See it's not sexist, because the woman is a "gamer" too.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I was more wondering, in what universe would 3 old games pay for a new release?

On another note, reminded me of the Top Tips in Viz magazine:

Single Men - pretend you're in a long term relationship by standing idly outside stores in the mall for hours whilst holding a dozen full carrier bags, occasionally sighing and looking at your watch.

I agree with most people here, almost all sitcoms and adverts and a lot of dramas and soaps define 'male' as 'dumbass incapable of feeding and clothing himself without a heroic, multitalented woman around to look after him.'

However they define women as 'Shoe addict who can only claw any happiness out of her existence by attaching herself to a man.'

So I guess in a way that balances out. Still should dump both ideas however.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
As a Yaoi fangirl and general Bishounen nut addict I must say I wouldn't have much if it weren't for video games.

Though it does seem that a lot of guys aren't into my type of game and aren't very receptive towards it even being made. I often hear men decrying of "androgynous boys" in video games, how women ruined Metal Gear by creating Raiden, how video games need to be manly, how that female character is an ugly dyke or has a nice proper pair of tits and arse, and how Gears of War is so much better than that "gay" crap.

I also hear a lot of people say shallow things like "nerd girls are too ugly to date". Wouldn't you rather date a nice girl who likes video games and shares other hobbies with you, than some kind of stereotype or whatever that woman who doesn't like video games or anything fun is support to be, just because she's pretty?

I like video games, people who like good video games and are generally fun loving people are dateable, good people. I would want to date a guy who plays video games. I wouldn't want to date a guy who wants to play video games more than be with me. But I'd like to spend plenty of my free time playing video games with him.

I think the ad is sexist. I'm not wanting to burn them at the stake or anything about it, but it is a kind of annoying portrayal and I don't know how you can be blind towards the messages it sends. It basically says "video gaming: it's a guy thing that you(women) wouldn't understand". It would be nice to have more media not treat us invisible or like a burden.

automatron

Apr 21, 2010
Okay, I can see how it is sexist, but it's mostly satire.
It's done in an old-fashioned way, so they had to use an old-fashioned mindset.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
May I suggest a revised headline?

Insultingly Underachieving Advertisement Gives Random Person Soap Box From Which To Proclaim Themselves A Crusader For Equality

You know those commercials where the husband is a bumbling manchild that is a hopeless slave to his headache until his intellectually superior wife reminds him that (gasp) aspirin might help? Or the one where some fuckwit destroys his sink by trying to fix it himself, and his wife suppresses her screaming desire to divorce him long enough to give a condescending shake of her head and call a plumber? Yeah, I know, you can't remember specifically which brand it was shilling, or even exactly how it went, because nothing about it was offensive enough to be memorable. Regardless, you know you've seen it, and many like it. I'm not even playing the "it goes both ways so shut up" card, I'm just saying that I can avoid feeling personally attacked by an entire prevalent subset of commercials that typecast the male as a clueless dipshit and the female as the hand-holding nanny that is the only thing between him and eating a bowl of nails for breakfast. The implications of them are pretty egregious if you read too much into them, which thankfully, everybody knows better than to do.

You know what I take away from this EB commercial when I read too much into it? "Videogames are objectively unproductive, and if your romantic partner feels more fulfilled by tangible accomplishments, they are likely to be aggravated by the undue attention paid to a dead-end hobby. Reminding her that you value her companionship and demonstrating your appreciation for her with a kind gesture every now and then would likely buy you some leniency next time she is justifiably bothered by the stark contrast of your uncaring lack of initiative juxtaposed with her responsible priorities." Taking issue with that, in my eyes, makes you look like you're just trying to make a name for yourself atop a mountain of butthurt and pettiness.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
@ cpt blackamar

I really liked your answer, although your avatar made it hard for me to take you serious on a matter of sensitivity and political correctness.

My take:
The ad simply was bad.
It wasn't funny enough to instantly be recognisable as humour and since it wasn't the least bit entertaining, I guess the only thing left is being offensive.
But:
I do believe that these "OMG SEXISM EVERYWHERE BWA BWA BWA11!!11!" reactions are maybe a bit over the top, since I fail to see how this ad was intentionally mean-spirited and offensive.
We, as men, deal with being ridiculed in ads all the time, and I am fine with that.
(Examples? Old Spice, many Beer ads, many ads pitting the "stupid man" against the "smart animal"
all the ads propagating that "man" is but a lust-controlled machine that ceases to function around a beautiful woman)
So why can't women be fine with being ridiculed from time to time?
(I know many women are fine with that, but those that just won't stop complaining really do get on my nerves after a while)

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
As a Female, this advert offends me, because it's so lame, cheesy and shit beyond words.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
A bit late to the party here, but the really offensive thing about this ad is that the guy trades in what I take to be three fairly old looking games (these days, that of course means they've been out for over 2 weeks) and is able to pick a shiny copy of Arkham City without having to hand over any of his own money.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, you'd be lucky to get around £15 for those three games, or whatever that is in your funny money...

But hey, remember when everyone was flipping out over Gamestations "Cheaper than your girlfriend" ad? Well, their new campaign (supposedly for Christmas) is "Cheaper than a Ho-Ho-Ho!" Which just oozes festive cheer and has no double meaning at all this time around.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Why is this ad sexist? It's got nothing to do with the woman doing housework, that's completely beside the point. It's sexist because it portrays a stereotypical relationship where the woman is basically some kind of killjoy, as is implied by the way the guy zones out when she starts lecturing him on buying games, and by the way the game retailer jointly perceives this and offers him a solution. It's then implied that the woman is placated by being taken out to dinner, as her "you've done enough already" comment suggests.

The fact that it's considered a 'parody' of sexist 1950s ads is no excuse. You can't parody something with the exact same objectives (ie, getting someone to buy a product) and expect people to see that what you're doing is any different.

Arizona Kyle

Aug 25, 2010
Satsuki666 said:
Andy Chalk said:
"The single worst part of the ad was at the end when the guy is playing games and his wife is dusting around him like some sort of terrible advertisement from the 50s," she told the Illawarra Mercury [http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/news/local/news/general/video-game-ad-offensive-to-female-gamers/2353988.aspx].
As stupid as the ad is I find this complaint here rediculous. She can call it sexist all she wants but the fact is in the majority of households its the women who does the cleaning while some lazy bastard sits on the couch watching tv.
I would rather my woman clean the house then me..... Didnt work out so well last time.... yahh...

SiskoBlue

Monk
Aug 11, 2010
Yep, this ad is sexist. Not massively so but it treads some old ground. It's also just a stupid ad. Like something The Apprentice teams would come up within 24 hours without sleep.

Advertisers should try harder.

xdropkicknickx

Sep 27, 2011
I'm offended by the fact the ad stereotypes me as a heartless man who cares more about video games than my wife. This is just unacceptable. It's the 21st century and us men are still being regarded as such monstrous sub-humans. EB Games, you WILL be hearing from my lawyers.