Adorable 3 Year-Old Experiences Harsh Justice in Skyrim

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Adorable 3 Year-Old Experiences Harsh Justice in Skyrim

Watch as this toddler comes to terms with crime and punishment in the world of Skyrim.

The minds of 3 year-old humans are complex and fast-paced places. To wit: this video of one such child, seen here wrestling with the moral quandries and lessons presented to her by M-rated The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9216-The-Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-Review].

Watch as the young child's path is blocked by an unimpressed NPC. The child opts for the ol' ear-piercing shout tactic so popular among her age group as a means to deal with this problem. When it fails, she resorts to "swording" the interlocutor until he no longer presents an obstacle.

"Aha!" she beams. Her path is clear. But what's this? Town Guards? I probably shouldn't have straight-up murdered that NPC in a world that exists without institutionalized judicial checks and balances, her frown seems to say. Maybe I shouldn't have murdered him at all. "People don't want to be sword," she says out loud, putting her complex ruminations on the nature of crime and punishment into impressively straightforward terms.

Of course, she could just be horrified at the quick and violent end her character sees as a result of her action. Much of the reaction to this video - cute as the girl and her play are - has centered around what a 3 year-old child was doing wielding an axe in Skyrim in the first place.

After Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5861090/skyrim-teaches-a-3+year+old-about-bullying] ran a story on the video, the girl's apparent father, Carl Douglas, wrote in to explain why his daughter was axe-murdering NPCs. "While I do understand that games and violence out of context can be harmful to a child, we are a family of gamers, and the exposure to some imagery is inevitable (though unfortunate)," he wrote. "We do our best to explain things to her and talk about what happens...when the adorably traumatic realization set in that the guards were responding to her "swording" by giving her "boo boos," we did ask her what happened. She just sweetly responded "peoples don't like swords, and we don't want swords on the peoples" and she didn't want to play anymore."

"She [knows] the Skyrim controls because she likes to run around in the wilderness looking for streams to jump into," he added.

As far as whether or not the child should be playing Skyrim goes, her father seems to have a decent grasp on detailing the differences between reality and fantasy. The jury's still out on whether she's absorbing the basics of the situation in the video, or is just upset by the gore on the screen. Regardless, though, a lesson of some stripe has been learned: Don't "sword" someone out of your way and expect a "boo-boo"-free response from the local authorities.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5861090/skyrim-teaches-a-3+year+old-about-bullying]

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
Well, as long as she doesn't start to rob people or tries to resurrect an army of draugr's I'm fine with her playing games. Just don't sword me please. I'll kindly get out of the way.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
she has an axe, the guards have the swords, she might have just been complaining about the harsh justice.. but ok :p

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
XD

Oh my god, this is the cutest thing I have ever seen!

He should make her do a Let's Play of Skyrim with commentary, just so we can hear the cuteness more! :p

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
PFFFFFT!
This is so creepy...
Oh god... when she starts killing him... the smiles, the screams of joy!
[sub]Hold me.[/sub]

ATACpilot112

Nov 21, 2011
This reminds me of that poignant scene in Kill Bill Vol.2 where they're talking about the death of the goldfish. And it is adorable!

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
aww... her face is so adowable at the end.
shame about my deafness.
why must i wear earphones?

and if i don't see a shirt with her face and the caption
"People:
They don't want to be sworded."
i will be very disappoint.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Dawwwwww. That's gotta be the cutest thing I've seen in a while.

I wouldn't be surprised if "People don't want to be sword" became a meme either. It just seems like meme-material.

Browncoat86

Mar 27, 2008
"People don't want to be sword" has become my new favorite phrase for explaining when things go wrong.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
Aww how cute! Almost makes me want to push out a couple of my own brats just to see them play Skyrim.....almost....

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Aww, how cute. The unarmed man asked her to go away and she shouted No a few times then killed him with an axe. A valuable lesson in conflict resolution has been learned... right?

Sorry, but I'm gonna be the guy that says this is totally inappropriate for a child. I don't see how this is different from the ever popular "I saw a dumb parent in Best Buy picking up Black Ops for her 10 year old..."

I hope this is a one off, and not how her 'gamer family' juggle looking after a 3 year old and playing Skyrim, or any other game, at the same time.

doomspore98

May 24, 2011
When, I saw her face change from joy, at being able to move again, to the realization that he character was getting "sworded," That was pure gold. I find this funnier than charlie bit my finger

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Very cute, I'm not sure the game is appropriate for a child of her age though it was worth it for the video for such a short play-time. A little bit hypocritical of me since I've let my sister watch parts of Fallout and GTA IV but they were only non-combat bits and not parts where there is likely to be swearing or inappropriate references etc.

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
Edutainment at its finest. "People don't want to be sword" sounds like a pretty good lesson to me.