Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Obviously i dont know this guy, so i cant guage his personality, it sounds like he was overreacting but if you're friends with him, and you've talked to him enough to think that he might have been genuinly considering actually committing suicide, it was the right thing to do.
Its a slight betrayal of trust but hopefully he'll thank the person that did it when he's better again.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

It might be doubtful how serious the suicide threat was, but if he'd been taken into intensive care, it probably was.

Craorach

Jan 17, 2011
Worst case scenario, this young man has learned an important lesson in life.. don't threaten suicide just to get attention because someone took your computer away.

Best case, you saved his life.

How could this decision possibly be bad?

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
That was wrong. A person should have a right to choose to end their own life. The state should not be allowed to interfere beyond suggesting that they change their mind.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
manic_depressive13 said:
That was wrong. A person should have a right to choose to end their own life. The state should not be allowed to interfere beyond suggesting that they change their mind.
I'm not sure whether to assert that you've obviously never known someone who actually killed themselves or simply lament the disgustingly subjective nature (and resulting complete lack) of morality in our culture.

OT: He was in the right for that. It might have been a bit extreme, but better safe than sorry, and in the end it could end up helping him regardless.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
manic_depressive13 said:
That can also be explained the other way, but let's not get into that discussion right now.

[Back on topic]
Was it the right thing? I don't know. Someone moaning about killing himself because his computer was taken away? Merf. How did they talk to him anyway, his computer was confiscated was it not?

Besides, if he did was about to off himself over his computer... well maybe it's for the best he is in the IC now. Not want to sound like a dick or something, but like someone else already said, he learns a lesson about life perhaps. I mean, people off themselves for silly reasons. And because you're doing poorly in school because of to much computer does sound like a silly reason to do so.

Then again I was raised with the notion 'homework before fun and play' so... It might be different for me.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Thaius said:
manic_depressive13 said:
I'm not sure whether to assert that you've obviously never known someone who actually killed themselves or simply lament the disgustingly subjective nature (and resulting complete lack) of morality in our culture.
I'm just saying that if I were suicidal (which of course I am not, because I am white and middle class and therefore have no reason to be discontent with my life) I would want to be able to talk about it without fear of someone getting the police involved and fucking up my plans. I was just raising the possibility that with the system we have in place, a young person who was seriously considering committing suicide (which I have never been) might be afraid to raise their problems with, say, a school counselor, because they are afraid of the repercussions, and know that it will only make things difficult if they decide to go through with it. They might also appreciate some assistance because soon the concern that they will survive but be brain damaged will cease to be a deterrent, and yet they may be aware that it will be expensive and traumatic for all involved to keep them alive in a vegetative state.

Slowpool

Jan 19, 2011
manic_depressive13 said:
Thaius said:
manic_depressive13 said:
I'm just saying that if I were suicidal (which of course I am not, because I am white and middle class and therefore have no reason to be discontent with my life) I would want to be able to talk about it without fear of someone getting the police involved and fucking up my plans. I was just raising the possibility that with the system we have in place, a young person who was seriously considering committing suicide (which I have never been) might be afraid to raise their problems with, say, a school counselor, because they are afraid of the repercussions, and know that it will only make things difficult if they decide to go through with it. They might also appreciate some assistance because soon the concern that they will survive but be brain damaged will cease to be a deterrent, and yet they may be aware that it will be expensive and traumatic for all involved to keep them alive in a vegetative state.
There is no good reason to end your own life- if there is, it would be along the lines of sacrificing yourself to protect others or merciful death when the only alternative is constant agony. Losing your computer is not one of those things.

Judging by the fact that the individual's parents were the ones that took his computer away (and that they apparently had the authority to do so), it would be safe to assume that the individual is quite young- and anyone who believes that it is acceptable for someone so young to plan their own death over something so trivial embodies some of the worst things about humanity. It's pretty sickening actually.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Slowpool said:
There is no good reason to end your own life- if there is, it would be along the lines of sacrificing yourself to protect others or merciful death when the only alternative is constant agony. Losing your computer is not one of those things.

Judging by the fact that the individual's parents were the ones that took his computer away (and that they apparently had the authority to do so), it would be safe to assume that the individual is quite young- and anyone who believes that it is acceptable for someone so young to plan their own death over something so trivial embodies some of the worst things about humanity. It's pretty sickening actually.
Did you even read my post? Many people who are genuinely considering suicide don't say anything because they are afraid they will be institutionalised. That's the main reason why I think getting the police involved is damaging.

Having said that, there are plenty of good reasons to end your own life. You're having trouble sleeping. You lost your iPad. You're on a losing streak on HoN. All valid reasons. The great thing about being dead is you don't get to regret your choices. Everyone dies. It's no big deal.

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
Craorach said:
Worst case scenario, this young man has learned an important lesson in life.. don't threaten suicide just to get attention because someone took your computer away.

I agree with this, to an extent:

If you believe someone is genuinely depressed to the point of suicide, then you've a moral right to get involved.

Of course, if the kid is just being a whiny little emo prick (which based on what little knowledge I have on this entire incident, is exactly what it sounds like), then you've validated their cry for attention, which is not a good thing because it'll only encourage them...

Still, better safe than sorry.

Crenelate

May 27, 2010
Like one of the other posters said, either he learns the consequences of stupid threats or he gets the help he obviously needs. People saying that you should just let people try to commit suicide clearly have had no experience of how much damage it causes not just to (obviously) the person involved but everyone around them as well. Anyone have any idea how scary it is to leave your room at night to find bloody hand smears all over the walls because your housemate tried to slit their wrists while drunk and depressed? Or to get a call at midnight to tell you one of your best friends overdosed, is now in a coma and will probably die?

People who have depression or similar conditions go through phases where half the time they don't even know what they're doing or how they're feeling (often alcohol and medication exacerbate this). Neither of my friends want to die, and neither of them could even remember doing it the next morning. Sometimes people try and take their lives in a moment of desperation without fully realising the consequences, however stupid that may sound.

So yes, you did the right thing.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Craorach said:

I think I'm with you on this. The better safe than sorry route is usually the best one.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Sounds like he has mental problems if he is going to threaten suicide cause he is grounded for 2 weeks.

sanomaton

Oct 25, 2008
Usually people who threaten their friends about commiting suicide are the ones who DON'T actually go through with it. Harsh, but it's true. When someone wants to commit suicide there may be signs of it but the signs can only be interpretated only after the suicide has taken place.

A classmate of mine threatened recently me and my friends, telling us he was going to commit suicide that weekend. This was only a way of getting attention and a very bad way to do so, if I may add. My friend, however, also called the cops and they took him to the hospital etcetc. He's still alive but he's not my friend anymore. Call me harsh or cold but I can't be around that person anymore. Someone who's contemplating on suicide would not threaten his/her friends and make them worried sick. A true friend would try to protect his/her friends to the end. And I know this from personal experience and also from looking at the statistics.

Someone who says these things to get attention is sick. What made me the most angry about this classmate of mine was that he himself knew he wouldn't do it and he was only hurting us around him. Also, I have been through it when my REAL friend called me, she already had cut both her wrists and she was screaming in the phone. Death was REAL. That PANIC, that PAIN was REAL. I cannot emphasize this enough but it makes me really angry when someone PLAYS with people's emotions by threatening them with suicide. /rant

Anyway... I don't know this guy you're talking about so I can't know if he was serious or just wanting attention. Of course, a threat of suicide should never be taken lightly so I think it was right for your mates to get in touch with the police.