Fallout: New Vegas Dev weighs in on Skyrim's PS3 Lag Issues

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Fallout: New Vegas Dev weighs in on Skyrim's PS3 Lag Issues

Skyrim is having some performance issues on the PS3 and Joshua E. Sawyer, lead developer on Fallout: New Vegas, knows why.

Like Skyrim, both Fallout 3 and its not-quite-sequel Fallout: New Vegas have some pronounced lag and micro-stutter issues, most notably on the PS3. Answering user questions on Formspring [http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer], Sawyer gave a rather technical breakdown of the engine's issues. Beware, humble reader, here be jargon.

Essentially, each action you take in Skyrim, be it punching a mammoth in the face or murdering women and decorating your house with their body parts [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114443-Creepy-Skyrim-Serial-Killer-Keeps-Heads-on-Shelves], results in changes to the world which are stored in a bit field. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_field] As you play, more and more changes are stored in the bit-field file system until, eventually, the file becomes too huge for the system to comfortably handle.

"It's an engine-level issue with how the save game data is stored off as bit flag differences compared to the placed instances in the main .esm + DLC .esms," Sawyer explained. "As the game modifies any placed instance of an object, those changes are stored off into what is essentially another .esm. When you load the save game, you're loading all of those differences into resident memory."

"Some areas will reset contents after three (game) days, but a lot of stuff lingers. Additionally, we also have to deal with 'persistent references,' he continued. "These are objects that are immediately loaded with the game because we need to be able to reference them anywhere/everywhere in the world -- even if the player is nowhere near the object. Characters are the most common example. All of the companions need to be able to move around the world even when they are not in your current area, so they are all persistent references."

Apparently the problem occurs on every system, but is most apparent on the PS3 because it divides its 512 megs of Ram between graphics and memory, while the Xbox 360 can allocate its full 512 megs to either purpose and the average gaming PC has dedicated memory for both functions.

The problem is endemic to the Gamebryo engine and seems to have been passed down to the Creation engine that powers Skyrim. It's not going away any time soon. " It's not like someone wrote a function and put a decimal point in the wrong place or declared something as a float when it should have been an int," Sawyer responded to one question. "We're talking about how the engine fundamentally saves off and references data at run time. Restructuring how that works would require a large time commitment."

JC175

Feb 27, 2009
Hang on, doesn't Skyrim use the Creation engine, not Gamebryo? I'm sure they share a similar base, but still.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
JC175 said:
Hang on, doesn't Skyrim use the Creation engine, not Gamebryo? I'm sure they share a similar base, but still.
I heard the Creation engine Bethesda made for Skyrim was heavily based off Gamebryo but I'm unsure how true that is.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Oh, sadness. I was hoping that maybe the other threads I've read about this were wrong. Guess not. I'll just have to deal with it. The next patch release better fix the resistances though. The lag seems to go away if I just turn off my system for a while, but having a single dragon breath attack rip my 59 level character apart because my boots don't work anymore is getting a bit annoying.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I like how I get frozen in place because, you know, I was talking with someone when a dragon came and they got killed/ran away.

THANKS FOR THE BROKEN GAME YO!

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
In short: the PS3 doesn't have enough RAM.

(And, honestly, neither does the 360. The console hardware designers really have to stop skimping on the RAM. A lot of smartphones have more than these so-called HD consoles.)

Apr 28, 2008
80Maxwell08 said:
JC175 said:
I heard the Creation engine Bethesda made for Skyrim was heavily based off Gamebryo but I'm unsure how true that is.
It's the same as the Gamebryo engine being based off the NetImmerse engine, the engine Morrowind uses.

So basically, it's as much of a difference from the Gamebryo engine as the Gamebryo engine is a difference from the NetImmerse engine. Personally, I see it all as iterations of a core engine. A core engine that seems to be broken, by the looks of it. And yet they're still selling it.

If anyone else sold a broken product like this, the backlash would be insane. Not sure why or how Bethesda gets away with it so easily.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Hat Man said:
Wait- The PS3 and Xbox both only have 500mbs of ram?
Well, the PS3 really has 256 MB. The other 256 are GDDR.

The Xbox 360 uses 512 MB of memory that is shared freely between CPU and GPU.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Shamanic Rhythm said:
So the new engine is really the old engine with a new paint job. Colour me not surprised.
Yeah. Bethsoft made a big hoopla about how the Creation engine was a supposedly complete overhaul of Gamebryo, but I really doubt they'd have had the time to code their own engine from the ground up. There aren't a lot of devs who really bother with coding new engines every so often, at least not in the Western market.

Here, the main player is still the Unreal Engine. id Software is hoping that Tech 5 is going to be attractive to some developers, and we're starting to hear about voxel-based engines as well - but this is still largely at the stage of cobbling buzzwords together on top of a YouTube presentation.

Recently, Japan's also jumped on the Unreal bandwagon, but they still tend to develop their own engines in-house as often as possible. As for Gamebryo, it's been used for several other projects in the past: Bully's Scholarship Edition, Defense Grid, Epic Mickey, RIFT, three consecutive Sid Meier titles, etc.

It isn't exactly what I'd call a powerhouse engine. Like I said, though, I doubt Bethsoft would have the time, money or patience to switch to something like Unreal. Source is also starting to be semi-common, but it's also become fairly venerable. I wouldn't be surprised if part of the reasons behind Episode 3's constant delays involve the engine being worked on.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
JC175 said:
The creation Engine is heavily based on the Gamebryo engine, typo on my part. Thanks for pointing it out.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Christ on a bike, thats supposed to be the point of buying a game on a console that the developers know exactly what architecture there dealing with so while it might be a bit naff graphicaly you can be sure the bloody thing works.

I'm PS3 and about thirty hours in, I havent really experience anything yet but that save file size is creeping up.

I'm getting a new PC in the new year so I might get that version instead but I dont want to give these bloody cretins any more money or its like I'm rewarding them for releasing an unfinished game.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I have mixed opinions on this. I don't want to see Bethesda put out of business because they are one of the few companies making this kind of game, but this entire problem is not cool. PS-3 gamers deserve a refund at the very least.

I'm sorry but I can't envision something like this just "slipping by" given how big a part of the system it is, and it ultimatly makes the game virtually unplayable. Even if Bethesda puts in a substnatial amount of time and effort to fix things, that doens't mean much to the people who spent $60 right now and wind up with a glorified coaster after they play for a while.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
Nothing a good garbage handler cant fix. This guy overly exagerates. files are files. files can be edited. files can be deleted. dont care what the engine does with it. this is fixable.

foxlovingfreak

Sep 9, 2009
You know this explains alot. When I strated my fallout 3 game it ran just fine but when it got close to the final encounter it was particaly unplayble. I started to notice it in new vegas as well but no where near as bad as fallout 3. Well here's hopeing that the'll come up with a vibal soultion to this problem

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Proof that the Creation engine is just gamebryo with a new coat of pant and glitter sprinkled on.

And yet Bethesda, of course, get away with it.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
And... this is pretty much why I don't play any Bethesda title on anything other than my PC. It's not a superiority thing, but it's the only place where the fans are able to fix all the shit they got wrong.

I love my PS3, but Bethesda apparently sucks at making games for consoles. I'll stick to playing their games a year later once fans, who apparently care more than the devs, patch the game and add mods people actually want.