Rayman Creator Doesn't Like Mario

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Rayman Creator Doesn't Like Mario

Michel Ancel, the man behind Rayman and Beyond Good & Evil, admits his deepest, darkest secret: he doesn't really like Mario.

A strange sentiment for a developer known mostly for his platformers, a genre utterly dominated, and arguably conceived, by the Mario series. Responding to a statement that the Mario games must have been an inspiration for the Rayman series during an interview with Gamasutra, Ancel said, "As far as I'm concerned, not at all! I will tell you something terrible -- I don't really enjoy playing Mario games. I don't like gliding, I don't like its inertia, and I don't like not being able to give some slaps! It's a fabulous series, and I understand that people love it, but it's not my cup of tea."

Mario is arguably the posterboy for classic game design where raw gameplay always comes before narrative and storytelling, a design philosophy Ancel has claimed is not for him. He went on to name some of the platformers that did inspire Rayman.

"I used to prefer Ghosts n' Goblins, Heart of Darkness, Another World -- games with a focus on the narrative side. Beyond that, I find Mario's controls very interesting, but I don't buy it. I can't help but seeing the ropes of the game, even if it works. The game is thrilling, obviously."

As if he hadn't scored enough credibility points with a Hearts of Darkness reference, he also gushed briefly about Legend of the Mystical Ninja (Goemon in some regions) for the SNES, citing it alongside The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past as one of his game design "models."

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6562/the_evolutionary_process_of_.php?page=3]

ConstantErasing

Sep 26, 2011
River me a cry.

Edit: That sounded a bit insensitive. It's interesting but not particularly important and that was just my response to the title.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Meh. At least he has a good reason for that, and understands the appeal as opposed to the typical response of "It's soooo kiddy! It's casual! It's the same plot over and over again! It's GAY!" that pretty much every other Mario hater ever uses as their justification.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Ghosts n' Goblins? as in gargoyles quest as well? HELL YES!!!

anyway its ok I dont liek mario eather..in fact I NEVER liked mario..yoshis island will forever be better than mario becuause yoshi is awsome

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
I love both Rayman and Beyond way more than I ever loved Mario. So I agree with the guys points.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
WHO IS THIS MONSTER?!
Just kidding, i didn't really like them either.
Now just get back to working on a 3D Rayman like that PS2 title and i'll love you forever.
Also more Beyond Good and Evil :p

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Somewhere Miyamoto is cutting himself.

Still, it's not like he doesn't have a point. Mario has f--k all in the way of narrative. I mean, yeah yeah, I know, gameplay > plot, but for those that would like some tasty miracle whip on their turkey sandwich that is gaming, the original Mario's can be pretty dry. As for his complaints on the games physics and not being able to punch people, I don't get why those are downsides, but such is life.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I see nothing wrong here. It's not like he openly bashed Mario or acted like he was some plague character stinking up the gaming scene.

He had a legitimate opinion, and even an understanding point of view on it. So he doesn't like Mario. Big deal.

It's not like he even said he hated it, he just said it wasn't his cup of tea. You don't get more polite about it than that.

skylog

Nov 9, 2009
...Doesn't like the gliding and inertia. That explains why the jumping in the first Rayman game felt like you were wearing a pair of lead shoes. I mean, I love the Rayman series, but I can't say I've ever fallen through a platform I've jumped towards in a Mario game.

Rayman 2 was awesome, though, so, it's all gravy.

Axyun

Oct 31, 2011
Not big on Mario myself. Played them as a kid but I harbor no nostalgia for the series. I'm a bit more fond of Sonic, though.