This Fan-Made FFVII Intro is Amazing(ish)

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
This Fan-Made FFVII Intro is Amazing(ish)

Tired of waiting for a Final Fantasy VII remake, fans have taken matters into their own hands, with impressive results.

It seems we can't go more than a week without someone bringing up FFVII and a potential remake thereof. This time the people at Studio Paint have remade the intro from Squaresoft's classic JRPG using Alias Maya and the Unreal development kit. In their words:

[The] FFVII REMAKE has been created for two main reasons: to learn how to create a videogame and to pay tribute to one of the best RPGs ever created, which most of us love and admire. The idea is to show its 2D world in 3D in a short demo, trying to keep it as accurate and respectful as possible to the original.
While the detailed, explorable version of the train station from the game's opening scene invoked a degree of nostalgia I didn't think I was actually capable of, I don't recall FFVII being quite so awkward in the animation department. Also, is one of those Shinra mooks using a M41A pulse rifle from Aliens? That's new.

You can read more about the project, see how it was made and download it yourself here. [http://ff7remake.hostoi.com/index2.html]

Iklwa

Jan 27, 2010
Wow, this brings me back...

I don't understand the rap FFVII gets. It was my first console game, and my first RPG, and it got me into both where other games ad failed. That being said...I am skeptical of a remake. Still, good job guys.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Hmm thats an interesting take with the whole first person view of things.

Sure the animation needed more work but its still pretty good fan wise

Kazedarkwind

Inner Working Reviewer
Nov 18, 2009
Needs way better animators...like me >_>...

but i think it would be kind of cool playin a FF game like that, first person. Would help bring it into western mindset :p

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I should probably pay attention to what I'm actually reading and watching next time. Though I still think they could get into troubles with Square Enix over this.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
I don't like this fan-version of the remake. As nice and detailed as it is, it seems extremely clunky, made me motion sick, and I don't understand at all what the fascination of jumping on the boxes is. Didn't they realize that they couldn't get over the damned wall the first two times?

But hey, that's just me. I'm just glad that a remake like this one isn't being made.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
If you remake it you're only going to realize the game was not as good as you remember. It had its time and place and that was many years ago. Most people remember it fondly because it was their first introduction to RPGs or Japanese storytelling, not because it was some amazing game.

crazyarms33

Nov 24, 2011
Iklwa said:
Wow, this brings me back...

I don't understand the rap FFVII gets. It was my first console game, and my first RPG, and it got me into both where other games ad failed. That being said...I am skeptical of a remake. Still, good job guys.
I agree. This game really got me into gaming so its nice to see it being done however like you I am wary of a remake. Also not sure that I like the first person aspect

Sep 14, 2009
do likey.

this is pretty cool for fan made, lovin the textures/visuals

the actual movements and stuff..? and camera? not so much..but good job besides that.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
cursedseishi said:
Marik2 said:

Aye, it be insane to expect "Advent-Children" level animation out of a fan-made thing.

Gotta say though, I love how after Cloud casts the spell to finish the soldiers off and the screen moves back towards him, his hair is glowing like a Super Saiyan...

I actually tried to imagine what his hair would look like if it were to go even spikier than it normally is.
Yeah I loved that part too and sometimes fans do make things better than that companies from time to time

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
I've heard rumors on other sites that they might be making a remake of FFVII on the 3DS. I Don't know if it's true or not, but it would be cool.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
floppylobster said:
If you remake it you're only going to realize the game was not as good as you remember. It had its time and place and that was many years ago. Most people remember it fondly because it was their first introduction to RPGs or Japanese storytelling, not because it was some amazing game.
Yeah and no one plays it anymore. Everyone played it once when they were 12, thought it was the greatest thing ever, and never touched it again. I mean, look at Final Fantasy 1, 2, 3, and 4. Those never got remade or added on to cause hey no one likes nostalgia and graphical upgrades. Just imagine if the Devil May Cry or Metal Gear Solid series got HD upgrades and ports? Haha imagine how stupid that would be? Or could do something really foolish and make, like, I dunno, a Sonic game based on the idea of revisiting old areas with some new paint and layout changes.

Honestly, sitting here, I can't think of a single game that's ever been remade, upgraded, or ported. Why would they bother? And remaking one of the most beloved games of all time with something as simple as PS2 graphics and in a PS3/360 format? It would just be stupid, clearly there's no one who would buy it.

Now since we've established that remaking stuff is a totally foolish idea, on to the actual trailer. First person = very very bad. Some sort of a fixed or manipulable 3rd person camera would be necessary. Also really needs some smoothing, can tell it's still in rough stages. Though, some credit to them. This is the least brown I've ever seen an Unreal engine made anything.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Can't figure out how to set up a third-person camera in UDK? Check.
Uses models stolen from Crisis Core and Dissidia? Check.

Umm, the ground texture is really good and true to the original. I guess that's cool.

Sylveria said:
Though, some credit to them. This is the least brown I've ever seen an Unreal engine made anything.
That's because you haven't seen this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRt0FRmr_sA].

P.S. Thanks

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
"Amazing"?! WTF. They recreated the first ten square meters of the game in 3D, big fucking whoop. Animation is laughable, too.

I'm also curious as to who was "playing" in the video. If it was one of the demo's creators, why would he try to get over that wall for like two whole minutes?

And that Zack thing was stupid. As was Cloud's glowing hair thing during that laughable "combat" sequence.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
Sylveria said:
floppylobster said:
Yeah and no one plays it anymore. Everyone played it once when they were 12, thought it was the greatest thing ever, and never touched it again. I mean, look at Final Fantasy 1, 2, 3, and 4. Those never got remade or added on to cause hey no one likes nostalgia and graphical upgrades. Just imagine if the Devil May Cry or Metal Gear Solid series got HD upgrades and ports? Haha imagine how stupid that would be? Or could do something really foolish and make, like, I dunno, a Sonic game based on the idea of revisiting old areas with some new paint and layout changes.

Honestly, sitting here, I can't think of a single game that's ever been remade, upgraded, or ported. Why would they bother? And remaking one of the most beloved games of all time with something as simple as PS2 graphics and in a PS3/360 format? It would just be stupid, clearly there's no one who would buy it.

Now since we've established that remaking stuff is a totally foolish idea, on to the actual trailer. First person = very very bad. Some sort of a fixed or manipulable 3rd person camera would be necessary. Also really needs some smoothing, can tell it's still in rough stages. Though, some credit to them. This is the least brown I've ever seen an Unreal engine made anything.
I can't think of a single remake that I've bought that I've actually enjoyed more than the original (or enjoyed at all really, and if I could recall any (possibly Shadow of the Colossus and the recent Halo Anniversary) then it would be a rare thing indeed). Nostalgia is nostalgia. It needs the original to evoke the true memory of the time in your life you played it and emotion of experiencing it that nostalgia can bring. That's why original copies don't lose value when an updated HD version comes out.

It's nice to allow those who missed out originally an opportunity to buy them cheap, but if you played it at the time, any HD remake will feel hollow compared to your original experience.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
floppylobster said:
I can't think of a single remake that I've bought that I've actually enjoyed more than the original (or enjoyed at all really
I dunno, Super Mario All-Stars was pretty amazing.

P.S. Thanks

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
Marik2 said:
cursedseishi said:
Marik2 said:

Aye, it be insane to expect "Advent-Children" level animation out of a fan-made thing.

Gotta say though, I love how after Cloud casts the spell to finish the soldiers off and the screen moves back towards him, his hair is glowing like a Super Saiyan...

I actually tried to imagine what his hair would look like if it were to go even spikier than it normally is.
Yeah I loved that part too and sometimes fans do make things better than that companies from time to time

... That was a joke right? You know they just put an, albeit nice, combat gui over the last fight from Advent Children?

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I can't stop looking at Tifa's huge knockers.

This always bothered me. I know she has some huge bazongas, but people always strife to make them as big as possible as if people wouldn't be able to recognize her if her bonkers were rendered a size smaller or something.

Anyway...congrats to that team for making a remake. However, I'm not into the whole First-person view thing. It reminds me of Elder Scrolls. And Elder Scrolls and FF are two completely different things. And the movements in battle seem slow, like it has been pointed out before. The only reason why slow movements (If we should even call them that) worked for the original FFVII was because it was turn based. But now that FF has pretty much got rid of that and has adopted a more active battle style, the movements are more fluid and feel more natural. Just look at FFXII or XIII.

Now, Square Enix, see this? Make it better. MUCH better. And you can have my wallet.