Mythbusters Fire Cannonball into Suburban Home

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Mythbusters Fire Cannonball into Suburban Home

Myth confirmed: a small rogue cannonball can cause a lot of property damage.

The Mythbusters have done a lot in the name of creative television. Adam Savage, Jamie Hyneman, and their crew have enormous solar death rays [http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbusters-underwater-armor.html], all in the name of science. However, any good scientist knows that experiments sometimes go awry, and the Mythbusters team proved that with typically explosive results. While testing a myth involving water barrels and a concrete barrier, the team accidentally fired a cannonball into suburban Dublin, California, wrecking a roof, a wall, and a car - but thankfully, no people.

In a scene straight out of a Bugs Bunny cartoon, "the 6-inch projectile bounced in front of a home ... ripped through the front door, raced up the stairs and blasted through a bedroom," according to the San Francisco Chronicle. The cannonball failed to wake the three people sleeping in the house, but the resulting plaster dust did shortly afterwards. In addition to taking out a good chunk of wall and roof tiles, the cannonball then careened across the street and smashed into a parked car.

Longtime viewers will not be surprised to learn that the team has used this particular cannon over fifty times before, but may not know that this is the very first time it misfired. "They're very sorry that this happened," said a Mythbusters consultant, adding that "[They] have insurance for these kinds of things." The kind of insurance necessary to fix all of the property damage, deal with any legal violations, and keep the show on the air must be astronomical. Then again, when your show is almost guaranteed to end with a huge explosion each week, you probably invest in a pretty comprehensive policy.

The Mythbusters have always been careful to balance dangerous experiments with sensible safety precautions, but if you work with hazardous equipment over and over, something is bound to go wrong eventually. Given their otherwise-stellar reputation for keeping crewmembers and civilians safe, it's probably best to write this one off as a fluke. Besides, you can't expect to advance the cause of science without blowing up [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3tt9hE9sc4] a whole lot of stuff.

Source: San Francisco Chronicle [http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/12/07/BA1D1M99V5.DTL]

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
Haven't watch Mythbusters for far too long. I really should.

OT: No one was hurt, the production company with pay up, everything will be fine.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
I guess they... blew that families mind? 8)

OT: I have no trouble believing theres insurance for cannonball wreckage, and that they were able to foresee this happening. You own a cannonball, its bound to go through someone's wall.

DarthVella

Oct 13, 2011
Wow, it took them this long to have an explosion seriously misfire. That's an awesome record. I would give my legs and left arm for a chance to work with those guys.

jedizero

Feb 26, 2009
As long as nobody got hurt, and they'll get everything fixed up, they should be having a grand old time, maybe even get a guest spot on the show for their troubles.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Blargh McBlargh said:
Wait... So the cannon misfired, the cannon ball smashed through a door, rolled UP some stairs, got airborne again, smashed through a wall and the roof, then wrecked a car?

Goddamn. o_O
It's like bowling. With a cannon.

P.S. Do fix that last link please. There's a line break in there that causes Youtube to question my sanity.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
DarthVella said:
Wow, it took them this long to have an explosion seriously misfire. That's an awesome record. I would give my legs and left arm for a chance to work with those guys.
And, with their track record, hopefully you wouldn't need to!

This is a pretty funny story, though, lucky that nobody was hurt. Mythbusters is still one of my favorite shows, combining explosions with a good scientific background to go with those explosions. It's just a great show overall, hopefully they'll get out of this with few legal scars.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Yeah, that was funny. I wonder if they're going to put this on the air. Anyway, I would have woken up by a the cannonball because I just wakeup when something that loud gets into my room.

ajh93

Feb 11, 2010
I wonder if I'll ever be able to get an internship with Discovery...wouldn't mind working with these gentlemen.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I hate to say it, but it wouldn't wake me up either. I'd sleep like a baby through it. I once fell off my bed as a kid, my parents came in and put me back in bed, and woke up completely unaware that it ever happened. And that probably wasn't the worst case of my refusal to wake up. Still, I know people that are probably worse.

Anyway, hopefully this can all be resolved without screwing up the Myth Busters work. Repair the home, pay them some money for damages and such, and offer them some time on the show. Pretty sure that will prevent any major issues.

EvilChameleon

Oct 18, 2010
Blargh McBlargh said:
Wait... So the cannon misfired, the cannon ball smashed through a door, rolled UP some stairs, got airborne again, smashed through a wall and the roof, then wrecked a car?

Goddamn. o_O
That's one magic cannonball.

Chances this makes it to air? Less than 15%.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
Don't they usually test their cannon shenanigans out in the middle of the desert? Where were they when they tested this.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I also heard the show was suspended but I don't know if it meant they were done recording the stunt or if the show was gonna stop being produced for a while or what.

Anyone knows what's that all about?

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
...did they shoot again successfully to prove or disprove the myth?

edit

EvilChameleon said:
Chances this makes it to air? Less than 15%.
Not much to show, all the cameras were around the test site. I doubt the camera crew went to film the aftermath in the residential area... that's what sensationalist news reporters are for.